Reloading mishap

ELKOHOLIC

Very Active Member
Long story short. I thought I was shooting 42 gr of h4350 with a 140 Berger. This is out of a 6.5cr. The chrono read 3000 so I thought it wasn’t working right. I look at the brass and the primer was pretty flat and there was a shiny ejector mark on it but it didn’t look to bad. Now I’m almost certain that I loaded it with Varget instead. From all the data I could find for Varget I am surprised my gun is in one piece. Would 42 gr of Varget be way to high?

Most data I've seen with the varget and the 140's tops out around 36.5. I would think 42 would be in the "way to high" category for sure.

When reloading only have the powder you are using on the bench to avoid switching to the wrong powder. flatten primer by itself is not that good of a indicator of a hot load. the shining ejector mark along with the flatten primer is indication your load was over safe specs.
RELH

Lesson learned and be glad your rifle and face are still intact. That’s a bunch of Varget under a 140!

42 gr of h4350 is fine in my gun. I’m thinking I did use the Varget. I use it in a lot of guns and I think I filled the hopper with it. I am just surprised the gun didn’t blow.

Sounds hot. Probably not a load to use.
But, your not in the "it's gonna blow" zone.
When hot gases missle out of the over pressure hole, bolt feels like you might need a hammer to open it, recoil feels way more than usual, etc......
Rifles are built to handle more pressure than the average mistake or overly adventurous fella, can muster.
Obviously, good idea to practice a little more safety awareness, though.

I’ve never done anything dumb like that. TIC of course but it’s been decades.
We all have to revisit our reloading practices periodically.
Pull ‘em and start over just to be safe. Throw the powder away too!

Based on some of the things you see on the internet, you can only go up about 50% from what the manual says is max. I also want to get me one of those metric chronos that bumps all my velocities by 15%.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom