Reloading ?

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
Just started reloading, I have a two set die from from rcbs. As described in the paperwork that came in the kit I adjusted the die. Also watched a few youtube videos. My issue is the 270 case seems to be not correct . Below the neck it seems to be different. Showing some bends. Is this normal or what did I do wrong. Hopefully in the picture you can see it.

20210515_145135.jpg

20210515_145150.jpg

20210515_145135.jpg

Hard to tell from your pictures. But did you forget to lube the case before running it through the die ? Looks from the picture that you maybe crushed the case ? They also look very dirty. Did you remove the primer and clean the case ?

Have you tried Stainless steel cleaning media for your shells ? Cleans well inside and out. Makes them look like new.

When full length resizing, I think it’s all about the feel. As you’re working the press, if it’s feeling tough or sticky, add a little more lube. As you go forward, you will master this part pretty quickly. You will start to do things like only lube the Inside of the neck of one out of five or six. Just pay attention to the difficulty of working the press and adjust as necessary.

Indentations in the case neck are a sign of too much lube. Very common with the old style rcbs lube on a pad. You don't need lube on this part of the case. Pull out the decapping rod, etc., clean the die out and use One shot from here on out. It won't happen again. The cases are perfectly safe to shoot, it is really just a cosmetic issue.
Bill

If those are dents on the shoulder of the right case and not glare from the photo then you definitely used to much lube. They will iron out when you fire them.

Degrease your dies and use Imperial sizing wax. Nothing else compares and OneShot sucks.

Definitely to much lube or there was lube on the shoulder. You only want to lightly lube the case body and inside the neck. I prefer Redding sizing wax.
Also the instructions with your RCBS dies are generic and junk. When setting up your sizing die don’t touch the shell holder and then screw the die down a turn. Instead touch the shell holder then back it off some. Size your case and check to see if your die is sizing the shoulder. You only need to bump the shoulder .001-002. Keep sneaking your die down until you achieve that shoulder bump and lock the die down.

I prefer to use the spray type of lube. I line my rifle cases up in a straight row, even 2-3 rows. Spray down one side then the other side while holding the spray can at a 45 degree angle. This way I lube the outside of the case and also the inside of the case mouth.
Run them though the sizing die to size and remove the spent primer. To remove the lube, I place them in a sealed container and pour alcohol into the container to cover the brass cases. Put the lid on and gently shake the container for about 30 seconds. Remove lid and drain off the alcohol into another container since it can be used several times. spread the cases on a old towel and allow to dry. In warm weather, the alcohol will dry out in a few minutes.
You can get the alcohol by the gallon at your local hardware store. I do not have a problem with dent cases due to excessive amounts of lube on the case neck or shoulder.

RELH

May need to clean the excess lube out of the die. The lube your using works fine. A little dab will due though.
if it keeps happening after easing up on the lube, then just clean the die and it will be good to go.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom