Relocating to MT.

ironhead

3 of our 4 kids have left the nest and the youngest is wanting to go to college in Missoula. My wife and I are wanting to relocate to your beautiful state. I am in construction management (superintendent), I know with todays economy that construction is hurting, but I have had enough of the rat race.

My question is which area is more condusive to finding construction work, Missoula or Helena. I like the Helena area better but also still have to pay the bills.

I could really use some input. I am open to other suggestions? I know nobody really likes non resy's but I could really use the help.

Thanks, Steve

Where ya coming from? Residential or commercial? Willing to travel? Ready for poverty with a view? (kidding, sorta) Both areas have their attributes. I don't care for Missoula, I live 45 miles South and make it there maybe twice a year. Are you willing to be a "hands on" manager? Many companies put tools back in the picture for management to cut down overhead. I came home 11 years ago, leaving a much higher paying job. Adjustments were required, but I wouldn't live anywhere else. mtmuley

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-11 AT 03:25PM (MST)[p]I have always been a hands on working super unless the job specs did not allow it. We are coming from Washington and I don't mind traveling. I will do whatever it takes, that is my nature. I have worked 12 years in residential and 15 years of commercial. I am 44 years young. My latest project is a fire station in Seattle. I snapped this pic last friday just about finished.

1100fs.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-11 AT 03:50PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-06-11 AT 03:48?PM (MST)

Construction is currently dead in the Helena area.All the small contractors are hurting badly.Move on up and get on unemployment,milk it for a few years and go back,just like 90% of everyone else that has moved here in the last 5 years.Sorry to inform you but that is just about the last job your going to find here(one that pays an honest wage anyways),if you can get one of the cushy state jobs pushing papers you will have it made though.There are lots of seasonal road building jobs in the Helena area,try Helena Sand and Bullock construction,they both stay busy moving dirt.

Hi Steve, I would think it's a pretty safe bet that the Missoula area would offer more business in general. You could work from the Flathead valley down to the Bitterroot and anywhere in between. These are the areas where MT's population is growing. Helena/Great Falls not so much.

Steve, I won't sugar-coat it, things are a bit tough here right now. However, someone skilled and knowledgeable can always stay busy. Times like these have a way of weeding out the dipsticks. Sounds like you wouldn't mind strapping on the bags if you had to, and that may be what it takes at first. I've managed to stay afloat, but had to take a few less than desireable jobs. Don't know your schedule, but things gear up around the end of May usually, weather permitting. I'd suggest a trip up here to look around a bit. Good luck, let me know if I can help further. mtmuley

Thanks guys I appreciate the info. Thats pretty much the way it is everywhere right now. I know it won't be easy but I have never taken the easy road. I prefer to wear my bags if I can, keeps me in shape and saves money on the project.
I have never been unemployed a day in my life and don't intend to start now. I won't pull up roots without serious employment first. My daughter doesn't graduate until next year. I am just trying to get my ducks in a row and get the most info I can. Thanks again, Steve

Steve, I am not a montana resident but have freinds and family that are. My daughter and son-inlaw moved to great falls area about ten years ago and scratched out a decent living. They had to do everything from selling fireworks to shoeing horses and helping local ranchers with branding, preg checking cows etc... finally things got tough enough that they sold out and moved back to the rat race. I dont know what your income needs are but be prepared for some lean years..at least in the beginning.

If you figure it out, I'd love to know how. Left MT 16 years ago, engineering degree in hand and a plan (make some $ and be back in 3-5 years). Looks like I'll be restarting the plan again for the 4th time. Northeast MT has a lot of work because of the oil field, and they're making good money (Its a long ways from Missoula).

The oilfield work is now year round. I have buddies who have been driving water trucks and they work year round. The drillers sometimes shut down but the oilfield service folks are going balls to the wall right now.

One guy I know works 3 weeks on and 2 weeks off. Makes a good living but has to be away from his wife and kid because there is nowhere to live in Williston.

It is not for a life for those who are afraid of work, long hours and drudgery but there is money to be made.

Nemont

The 3 guys I know working out there are layed off till spring so its not ALL year round.

Nonya,

I am sure like everything else you post on, you are the expert. All I know is that the oilfield services companies have over 3,000 jobs open right now. You cannot find a hotel room or even an RV parking space anywhere close to Williston, Sidney, Glendive, Culbertson, etc. etc. If you want to rough neck then you will get laid off.

If you want to work servicing existing wells then you can work and those jobs are still begging for workers.

However I sure the three guys you know represent the entire multi billion dollar oil complex in the Bakken.

Nemont

They represent every single person I personally know working in the fields,as usual you have found a reason to be a #####.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom