REMINDER: 5 Rifle Deer hunts start on WEDNESDAY OCTOBER 21

1DEER1I

Just thought it would be good to post, I won't be surprised to see people thinking they can hunt on these units the first Saturday of the hunt. Since the license says it starts on 17 but doesn't tell about the other restrictions so:

Just as a reminder that the few regions that don't start until Wednesday October, 21:

-Central Mountains (Nebo)
-Oquirrh-Stansbury
-South Slope (Vernal)
-La Sal Mountains
-Monroe

http://wildlife.utah.gov/news/09-10/short_seasons.php

So the way I am reading it is you can hunt those areas with a general deer tag, but you have to wait until Wed. to do so? I have a SE region deer tag. Is it worth waiting till Wed. to hunt the La Sal Mtns?

There are good reasons the 5 day hunt has been implemented in those units. They have extremely low deer numbers and the buck/doe ratios less than 15/100. The buck/doe ratio on the Nebo is around 13/100 and that is being generous.It has been as low as 8/100 about 4-5 years ago. The population on the unit is extremely depressed, even in the wilderness area. Even in the late 80's it was common to observe 150 to 200 deer in the high basins in the early mornings. You would be lucky to see 20 deer total on a morning hike into those high basins now. The Monroe unit isn't much better. I'm not sure of the other units, but I'm sure they are in much the same situation. The only real way to increase herd vitality is too completely close selected portions of each of those units to hunting for up to 3 years and get them under the predator management plan and see if the herds can make a come back.Yeah, I know, once you close it then it would have to be limited entry when you open it back up, but if only a portion of each unit were limited entry and then as the herds began to grow, there would be an out migration of bucks and does into the surrounding areas because of the population density factor. Deer can only stand so much company- especially bucks. Once it hits that density point, does and bucks will begin to out migrate to less populated areas that has appropriate habitat.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom