Remington 700 sps .270 upgrades?

Fishingkid

I currently have a Remington 700 sps .270 purchased brand new in 2014. I have replaced the trigger with a Timneys trigger. I have a vortex viper 4-14x44 scope with talley rings. I have a aftermarket oversized bolt knob that bolts on over existing bolt. My question is what other upgrades would you recommend? I am toying with the idea of switching out the stock. I have been looking at the hogue 70201 in green color this stocks pillar bedded. I am not sure what the stock Remington stock is? I have not compared weight yet. Is it worth the swap? I currently have the hinged magazine plate if I am changing the stock what stocks do you recommend and should I try swapping to removable magazine at this time? Any obvious parts that should be swapped out to make this gun a better setup for a backcountry rifle? I have the gun setup and sighted in out to 623 yards shooting Barnes copper in California. I know there is always room for improvement curious if any components are worth upgrading thanks for the help.

My thought about rifles is this:
Do whatever makes YOU happy with YOUR rifle even if other shooters do not agree, PROVIDED THE RIFLE IS A GREAT SHOOTER (we all have different accuracy criteria) and always make an "upgrade" with the end in mind.
Any change can be an upgrade if YOU like it better!
Zeke

Kwik-klip (?) Makes a kit to make your hinged magazine plate rifle into a detachable box rifle. Comes with trigger guard and one magazine. Magazine holds 4 rounds. Proprietary magazine, not compatible with factory magazines. I've had one on my rifle for years.

The hogue stock is a little heavy but a good stock. Look at stocky stocks website, great stocks for reasonable price. A good full aluminum bedded stock is worth it and should help you accuracy. You can always do a full bedding on your current stock and accomplish same goal cheaper but not as flashy

Muleman, I have a similar 700 SPS setup as OP. Talking with a few gunsmiths here in PHX, they have said the Rem 700 SPS "tupperware" stock is a piece of crap and they wouldn't do any bedding work on that platform.
So, to your comment of bedding the current setup, is it worth it for OP (and me!) to bed the stock...stock of the SPS?

Throw the sps stock in the spare parts pile and get yourself something better. Lots of options for a 700 out there on the market that will improve the overall rifle characteristics and performance.

Thanks tailchasers. I'm doing some baseline tests of my .300, but for the cost, I may just try one of those bedding kits. $300+ for a new stock or $65 for a bedding kit and free float...If it can get me to ~1" moa, i'd be pretty alright with that. I'm not looking to win competitions.

I like this thread. Good question. You've got a good start. I would suggest that you glass bed a new stock. I would bed the recoil lug and float it forward of that. YouTube has good info on that subject. I like HS Precision stocks, but as has been stated, there are many good ones out there. I'm not real familiar with your scope, but getting turrets will help if you plan to shoot long range at all.

You don't mention your loads, but if you don't handload, that would be my next step. You can usually enhance your accuracy significant;y if you load your own ammo.

Best of luck and stack up some god ones.

Thanks tailchasers. I'm doing some baseline tests of my .300, but for the cost, I may just try one of those bedding kits. $300+ for a new stock or $65 for a bedding kit and free float...If it can get me to ~1" moa, i'd be pretty alright with that. I'm not looking to win competitions.

You can bed the factory SPS stock but they are somewhat flimsy like stated. I would recommend roughing up the lug recess and tang and then degreasing it. You can drill some small partial holes to help the bedding stick also. A simple bedding job would help and be good practice for you also. Wrap the barrel with a few wraps of tape to help center it in the barrel channel and also I’d sand off the pressure points in the forend before bedding. After you complete the bedding job you can then free float the barrel all the way to the lug.

Thanks Cahunter. Sounds like the process I was going for. I know it won't be as good as a fancy stock...but I'll probably get one some day....just too cheap right now. Thanks all and I'll maybe post the process and results!

The problem I had is the sps stock had twist and flex. Just wasn't very rigid. I felt installing pillars would have been more beneficial and cost effective which is what I did to one of my stocks. For our situation it did help and is still running strong after a decade of annual use. Enjoy your tinkerings.

Every stock should be pillar bedded with the exception being ones with built in bedding blocks. Those I normally skim bed. Also be sure to prefit the pillars and adjust to proper length. Check bottom metal height and fit also.

Last edited:
One of the best things I did to my SPS was get rid of the original stock. Actually sold it for $50. That poor soul has an expensive boat paddle.
I put a Stockys accublock on and now this gun shoots amazingly well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom