remington 710

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
any one heard anything on this rifle? i had a craving to get a 300 wn mag for some reason, top it with my simmons aetec instead of the bushnell, whats the report on it? is it worth the 400+ bones? or should i get if i decided to buy one, a remington 700 in stainless silver???
casey

Personally I think the 710's look like a POS... I have yet to hear any thing "good" about them other than what Remington says... I'd buy a Savage (gasp) before the 710... Savage is ten times the rifle the 710 will ever be!

There are many other options out there that are much better for about the same price. For another $50-150 you can get a very decent rifle made by "Big Green", or Winchester. Tika, Weatherby Vangaurd (Howa), or Ruger M77 are pretty much in the same price range as the 710 and are 10 times the rifle...IMO

I'd leave your scope what its on and get a new one as well. You can get a Leupold VX-1 for about $200 and have a nice set up.

i'm not familiar with the 710, but why would you wanna ruin any rifle by putting a simmons scope on it? truly horrible optics. makes you wanna go, ooooooo..

simmons is what i had my on 30-06 and i loved that scope performed wel for me, shot a coues at 400 with it. and if i buy a new rifle there is no way that i could afford another scope because i just bought a 600 dollar leupold for my 30-06
casey

winchester super shadow topped with a leupold vx1 or nikon buckmaster would be a good set-up for not a lot of money.

when my oldest son was 10 or 11, he fell and broke his scope during deer season. went into the closest town and had enough cash in my pocket to by a simmons. hard as hell to sight in. never could get it closer than a couple inches in windage or elevation. one click would move it a bunch. shortly after the season the scope started just coming apart. biggest piece o' junk i've ever seen. won't even let one in my house. took that one and pitched it in the garbage. a poor product is one thing, but a literal piece of junk is something else. one time was enough for me on the simmons. i own about every kind of scope there is too. from cheap to real expensive. they all have their place, but after that little experience it really soured me.

what model of simmons was it? i had an aetec on my 30-06 for about 3 years and i loved that scope it was clear as can be and shot really well, shot my firts coues out at 400+ with it and my second one at 100. i could have a 3 inch group at 300 and about 1/4 or so at 100, put the bullets right on top of each other.
casey

The onlysimmons I own is one of thier "top end" moddles and its on my 22, cause I don't trust them at all. A buddy of mine has the exact same one as you... The thing basically crumbled right before his eyes, and that was from taking all the abusive recoil of a .243... He has since replaced it with a Swaro... Talk about a step up!

I have a Simmons on my .22 LR that has taken a lot of abuse and I haven't had a single problem with it. I did have a Tasco on my .300 Win that lasted less than 100 rounds. It fell apart after I shot at a coyote a few days before deer season opened. I wouldn't trust the discount scopes on your hunting rifle.

Here's the deal on the Remington 710 it is a cost effective rifle. It's not nearly as good as a Remington 700 but Remington is trying to apeal to the people with slightly less cash and for that they made the 710, If you can afford it I would buy a Remington 700 They are easy to adjust trigger pull and all around a great gun.Yes Tikka and Savage make great guns to but everybody has parts on the shelf for the old Remington 700 especially scope mounts. and one thing to learn is the rifle will only shoot as good as the scope that it's topped with I personally would use leupold at minimum

My dad recently purchased a 300 Win. Mag in the 710 model. It shoots great. The pattern was very consistant and it took quite a beating without a scratch. Not to mention it is a good looking gun.

Save your coin son, for another 100$ you can get that 300 mag
in alot better rifle. in the long run you will be glad you did.
you dont no how many times, I kicked myself in the but all the way out of sportmans because i spent a whole paycheck on rifle,or a scope. But after the shock wears off! and you start having fun, its worth it. So dont settle for that 710. but do put that scope on there, I want to know how many shots, from a 300 belt that it will take before the crosshairs are laying in the bottom of the scope.

I have had a 710 in the 270 i took the gun apart and ajusted the trigger witch is can be ajusted took the stock and free floated the barrle myself went to the range on good friday after sighting it in layed 4 rounds in a 1.5 inch circle at 250 yds my son is 12 years old and he put 3 rounds in at 100 yds that could be covered up with a quarter and i havent even started to reload for it yet!yes its not that good looking but i dont think the first deer i shoot with it is going to laugh at it

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom