Remington BDL Model 700 in 243 sighting in issue

JFBNORTHERNHUNTER

HELP!!!! Sighting in issue

So I’ll start from the beginning, I bought this gun off my uncle it’s a late 90s model. It came with a unbrand scope so I changed it to a RedField, I had laying around, took it shooting three weeks ago. Got it dead on at 25 yards moved out to a 100 and I could not get a group tighter then 3.5-4 inches. I was all over the place so I checked all action screws that secure the rifle to the stock and action. Still shooting 3-3.5 inch groups. So I figured it was the scope as it was used off a gun I bought. I order a Leopold VX-3 mounted it With new rings and bases and went out to sight it in. Same thing at 25 yards It was dead on putting 3 shots almost touching. Moved out to a 100 yards and guess what same group(3-3.5 inches). I honestly don’t know what going on? I also took my SAKO 243 and put three shot at a 100 yards with in .5 inche. So I know it is not me. FYI there was cleaning( Boresnake) every few rounds and cooling of the barrel between 3 shot groups sets. I’m about to throw it into scrape metal ban.

Quit YANKIN The F'N Trigger!:D

(((RAZZIN Ya!:D)))

Check & see if REDDOG Ever Owned this Rifle?

If He Did?

The BARREL is Spent!

Is the barrel smoked?

what ammo are you using? Have you tried other ammo? Are you getting the same results?

has the gun ever shot good? Is there a reason why your uncle sold that gun?

I have cleaned it thoroughly.
Cleaned it with what cleaning solution and process? A boresnake is not gonna clean out copper fouling and not what I’d recommend.

Did your uncle shoot the rifle a lot? If so first thing I would do is get some good cleaning solvent and copper solvent and give it a good cleaning. I’d recommend some boretech eliminator and boretech copper solvent. Follow their instructions for cleaning.
One other thing to check would be the front screw of the front base. Make sure it’s not bottoming out on the barrel threads.

Last edited:
Cleaned it with what solution and process? A boresnake is not gonna clean out copper fouling and not what I’d recommend.

Did your uncle shoot the rifle a lot? If so first thing I would do is get some good cleaning solvent and copper solvent and give it a good cleaning. I’d recommend some boretech eliminator and boretech copper solvent. Follow their instructions for cleaning.
One other thing to check would be the front screw of the front base. Make sure it’s not bottoming out on the barrel threads.

I would agree with trying this as well. I like Montana extreme. Get the copper completely out and see if it shoots. If not, barrel could be spent

[QUOTE="JFBNORTHERNHUNTER, post: 1870859, member: I’m about to throw it into scrape metal ban.
[/QUOTE]
How much do you want for it? mtmuley

Hey mt?

I've got a Browning Fort Sale!

MF'ER Has never Shot Twice in it's Life in the Same Place!

[QUOTE="JFBNORTHERNHUNTER, post: 1870859, member: I’m about to throw it into scrape metal ban.
How much do you want for it? mtmuley
[/QUOTE]

After all of the suggestions above, try as many different brands of ammo as you can. I find most of my guns have their favorite ones and the others spray all over the place.

Another vote for copper fouling remover. Verify the scope mount screws are not touching the barrel threads- another vote for that. Also, check the front sling screw, be sure it is not touching the barrel.
Maybe try taking off the stock, clean the barrel chamber to be sure no gunk build up is touching the barrel.

A bore snake used in a rifle will flair the crown and not a soul who likes tight groups, over the long-haul, will recommend them. Of course some will but they’re misguided souls IMHO?.

Clean with copper remover and then see if the crown has rock damage from riding a thousand miles with the muzzle down on the floorboards of the truck. A re-crown job by a competent gunsmith might be in order.

There are so many things that couple be wrong that we could write volumes. If you shoot 1/2” groups, sounds like it’s not you
.....And you’d better keep THAT rifle!

Zeke

Do you have a wood stock? If so, run a piece of paper between the barrel and stock down to the recoil lug. If there's resistance you will need to remove some material from the barrel channel on your stock. As the barrel heats up it will contact the stock and move the POI of the bullet. I've had to do this on my 700 BDL and ADL

What is the twist rate? Are you shooting 100grns? Try to shoot lighter rounds first then work your way up. If it has a slower twist rate it may not handle heavier bullets.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom