Removing Feral Cattle from Gila

Is this a recent order? I'm totally down with lethal removal of feral cattle. Agree it should be for horses and burros too, but as of now they are federally protected, despite being feral and hard on the environment.
Very recent. Was on Fox yesterday.

I don’t believe that the government would want to remove cows when they leave horses everywhere. Are wolves involved with the decision? Is there a large wolf pack in this area that has gotten the taste for feral cows?

I don’t believe that the government would want to remove cows when they leave horses everywhere. Are wolves involved with the decision? Is there a large wolf pack in this area that has gotten the taste for feral cows?
Feeding the wolves!

They should also remove feral horses. There really isn't an easy solution for feral cows in the Gila. There are places that are very remote and very rugged. Make an open season the the feral cows would be cheaper and safer than flying a helicopter. Ask hunters and hikers in the Gila to shoot them when they come across them wouldn't be popular with many people but would be effective at removing a bunch of feral cows for no cost to tax payers.

They should also remove feral horses. There really isn't an easy solution for feral cows in the Gila. There are places that are very remote and very rugged. Make an open season the the feral cows would be cheaper and safer than flying a helicopter. Ask hunters and hikers in the Gila to shoot them when they come across them wouldn't be popular with many people but would be effective at removing a bunch of feral cows for no cost to tax payers.
Im guessing they fear signals getting crossed and people shooting ranchers cows. Potential fiasco. I know they hunt feral cows in Hawaii. Not sure how far ranchers cows are from those areas.

Im guessing they fear signals getting crossed and people shooting ranchers cows. Potential fiasco. I know they hunt feral cows in Hawaii. Not sure how far ranchers cows are from those areas.
I'm sure that is one concern and I'm sure a huge concern for ranchers. There are a few idiot hunters out there so I can't blame ranchers. I've also come a few idiot ranchers. Too bad the bottom 10% of society have to make life much more difficult for the rest of us. Just make a quick online class and free permit for those that are willing to shoot feral cows.

Or even create free permits for cowboys that would be willing to round them up. I'm sure there are number of guys with horses that would enjoy a ride in the gila to collect free cows if they knew this was an option. I talked to a cowboy who would go through the hassle of rounding up wild horses on a reservation so he could round up and keep feral cattle on the reservation. It is just sad to see government waste money on a kill project like this even though I agree removing these feral cattle is necessary.

A close friend knows the guy hired to round up feral cattle around Los Alamos. It's literally like taking his life in his hands. These beasts are rank and ornery to say the least. Shooting them would be by far the smarter/safer/cheaper way to go...

I've seen videos and it's wilder than the craziest rodeo you can imagine. The amount of effort, time and danger involved in catching just ONE cow is insane. Basically first you have to figure out a way to get a rope around its neck: very hard in thick brush, etc. When you finally do that and can get it wound around a thick tree without getting killed, you let the cow tire out enough to get a 2nd rope around its neck, then you use 2 guys on horseback to control the beast and walk it out to your stock trailer. Then repeat. Absolutely ridiculous for what is basically vermin.

I've seen videos and it's wilder than the craziest rodeo you can imagine. The amount of effort, time and danger involved in catching just ONE cow is insane. Basically first you have to figure out a way to get a rope around its neck: very hard in thick brush, etc. When you finally do that and can get it wound around a thick tree without getting killed, you let the cow tire out enough to get a 2nd rope around its neck, then you use 2 guys on horseback to control the beast and walk it out to your stock trailer. Then repeat. Absolutely ridiculous for what is basically vermin.
That is exactly how this guy described it to me. He would tie them to a tree and let them get tired before trying to move them. Some guys enjoy doing that type of a thing. Most people think we are crazy to hike around the mountains looking for a deer or elk to shoot, then after shooting it, load all the meat in our packs and pack it out.

Don’t forget it’s about 15 miles to get the cattle out it’s in the middle of the wilderness. Can’t just back a trailer to them. You can get the ones on the river a little easier but a good amount are in no man’s land.

The history they have hired good dam cowboys to get them out in the past. They get a few out but it takes 2-3 days to get one bull out with two cowboys. Best thing that can happen is for them to shoot them like they are doing and get them gone. These cattle give ranchers a black eye and don’t do any good for anyone.

Hey all, MLG is trying to put a stop to this. I suggest calling her office and voicing your opinion.

Gov. office number is 505-476-2200

good one roadrunner. and I agree, out of "it's" jurisdiction, but that hasn't stopped "it" before...

The cattleman's association is sounding like a bunch of PETA activists about this whole thing.

My only complaint is why pay money for helicopter gunning. Just designate open season on the cattle in that specific area and let the public kill them.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom