Renting a spotting scope

mevertsen

Very Active Member
My daughter drew a ewe sheep tag here in Nevada. Being able to property identify the target is very critical.

I planned to purchase a spotting scope this summer, however, due to family medical issues, and needing to help out, that plan is out the window. (The burden seemed to have been at a point of being lifted, but I just got a call that my father's disability was denied, so I will be helping him for the foreseeable future.)

There are several places to rent a decent spotter, and compared to $1500+ for a good scope, $150 for a week seems like a good possibility at this point.

The big question is using the spotter properly, time to get used to it, and eye strain.

I do have a good set of 10x binoculars and use a tripod for glassing and locating, but would use the spotter for final ID.

Is this a crazy plan, or would I be better served even trying to getting a less expensive (Say $300?) spotter and having the summer to become acquainted with it.

Thanks,

M

IMO any spotter that retails for $300 will not be worthy. You might be able to find decent quality used one in $500 range...vortex...?
If it was me I'd borrow one from a buddy and use the $300 for scouting gas money.
I would have no problem loaning my spotter to a friend.

Good luck !

>IMO any spotter that retails for
>$300 will not be worthy.
>You might be able to
>find decent quality used one
>in $500 range...vortex...?
>If it was me I'd borrow
>one from a buddy and
>use the $300 for scouting
>gas money.
>I would have no problem loaning
>my spotter to a friend.
>
>
>Good luck !

Ditto. Also I use my spotter often to FIND critters as well as to size up the ones I found with binos.
I have loaned my swaro spotter to friends on a few occasions. Borrow a great spotter if you can and put that would-be rental money toward saving for a purchase?

>>====Hostess Donettes Pro Staff=====>

Thanks for the ideas guys.

Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of friends, and I am not sure of anyone that has the class of scope I am looking at.

I think the best option for me will be to rent a spotter for her sheep season.

I am currently selling a Vortex Nomad 20x60x60 Angled Spotter with a Vortex RidgeView Tripod included. It will be plenty good for what you are hunting. I have used it on several hunts and it has performed great. I would let it go to you for $300. Shoot me a PM if you are interested.

The hunt dates are October 5 to 25. We are going to hunt the first weekend. I plan to order a scope for the Wednesday prior to opening day to two weeks later, as I will take the whole week off, and it overlaps with my daughter's deer hunt in another unit as well. That hunt goes to November 2.

Crap... I was hoping it would be November and I would send you my Swaro to use. My wife has a Rifle Deer tag in Utah during that and one of my Buddies has a buffalo tag that will be going on during those dates. Keep asking buddies to use theirs before you rent though! Good luck! wish I could have helped out.

I also recommend digital binoculars (https://www.atncorp.com/smart-hd-binocular). They saved me from a lot of headaches these days. Sure, while some may state less expensive binos do likewise, that isn't the situation... This item is geared to hunters and watchers. Those needing to watch a race, kids playing on the field, flying creatures or anything else.
The feel of this item in your grasp is strong. Like a massive pair of normal binoculars yet strong.

I've hunted ewes in Nevada twice. We never needed to pull out a spotter.

You should be fine with a pair of 10x binos. Spend some time getting to know he difference between a young ram and a ewe before you go.

10x is just fine.....take your time and you will be ok

How to start an argument online:
1. Express an opinion
2. Wait

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom