Residency Question

Deepcolor

Question for you Wyoming guys about residency.

I had a friend call tonight asking advice on a premium bull tag he drew this year. He recently moved out of Wy. and is wondering how this will effect his residency by the time his hunt starts in October. He mentioned a 180 day timeframe but is unclear if this is from the time of purchase or start of hunt date. He is planning to call Wy Game and Fish tomorrow for clarification. Are we splitting hairs or is this black and white somewhere in the regs?

My understanding is that, if he was a resident on the date that he applied for the tag, he should be ok. I know there is some 180 day language mentioned on the G&F website, that would be best to get some clarification on the context around that rule.

In an effort of complete transparency, his best bet would be to go straight to the horse's mouth and get a solid answer. All of us on-line stayed at the holiday inn express last night so we are experts. Picking out the respondent that knows for sure may be though to sort out.

"...go straight to the horse's mouth..."
+1

He should get it in writing, in case those in the field and those in the office see things differently.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-17 AT 09:40PM (MST)[p]That 180 days has nothing to do with this situation. The 180 day requirement is to stay a legal resident of Wyoming after you have established the residency requirement, which is one year before applying for anything as a resident, not after he was a legal resident and got the tag legally as a resident before he moved. He's good to hunt no matter if he left Wyoming and moved to another address the day after he applied for the tag legally through the draw! If he still has his Wyoming driver's license or some other proof that he was a resident, it would probably be a good Idea to have that with him in case he has to stop at a check station or a GW checks him in the field to avoid a potential hassle. The other two members that said he's good are correct and this post is to clarify why they are.

TG is correct. Now if he plans on hunting Wilderness with this tag, I wonder if he meets the resident requirements for that? Crazy, crazy, crazy!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-17 AT 07:17PM (MST)[p]>TG is correct. Now if
>he plans on hunting Wilderness
>with this tag, I wonder
>if he meets the resident
>requirements for that? Crazy,
>crazy, crazy!

I won't touch that one with a ten foot pole, LOL!

Something doesn't quite add up as 180 days is close to 6 months. When does this season end and when did he apply? The deadline was May 31st, I guess the period opened well before though. I think he should be allowed to hunt, just interesting.

Call the state, get the answer and fill us in. You haven't given enough information on your buddy's situation for anyone to know how he fits into the question. It would beneficial to all if you painted the full picture and we all learned something.

My understanding is that when you submit your application, you must satisfy all resident requirements. After that point if you get a job transfer in another state, you are still good to go. Not something I have had to worry about, but you never know...life happens.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-17 AT 09:42PM (MST)[p]You guys are making this harder than it is! Read the friggin requirements SLOWLY two or three times. He WAS a legal resident when he applied and drew the tag. Moving doesn't take the tag away from him. As I stated in my other post, once you are a resident you have to meet that requirement of living there over half the year to continue satisfying that resident requirement. In other words, a guy can't establish Wyoming residency for the required year and then decide he wants to live in AZ where it's warmer for 7 months because that surpasses the 180 day max you can live out of the state and stay a Wyoming resident. Most states have the same type of minimum requirement to stay a resident in their state too.

TG... read Deepcolor's posts closer. You are assuming he was a resident when he drew the tag...need more info to assume that. My question is...is it based on application date or date of drawing?

"It is the person's responsibility to determine his or her individual residency status prior to applying for or purchasing a resident license. "

What I know is it's a limited quota tag, so he had to apply...based on the above quote from G&F website...if he was a resident when he applied, all is good IMHO.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-17 AT 09:39PM (MST)[p]>TG... read Deepcolor's posts closer. You
>are assuming he was a
>resident when he drew the
>tag...need more info to assume
>that. My question is...is it
>based on application date or
>date of drawing?
>
>"It is the person's responsibility to
>determine his or her individual
>residency status prior to applying
>for or purchasing a resident
>license. "
>
>What I know is it's a
>limited quota tag, so he
>had to apply...based on the
>above quote from G&F website...if
>he was a resident when
>he applied, all is good
>IMHO.

Read it again SLOWLY. He says right in the post that the guy recently moved out of Wyoming AFTER he drew the tag. He couldn't have drawn a NR tag if he was a resident of Wyoming and just moved to another state. I can't believe there is anyone here saying the OP is not clear about what he's asking and we need more information. The day the guy applied for the tag as a resident before he moved is what counts, not the date of the drawing.

Sounds like he is good to go after talking to the Game and Fish people.

He was a current resident when he applied......6-7 year resident.

He can hunt the entire year as a resident hunter.

Like stated above, the 180 day verbiage applies to establishing residency when you move in. Also applies to snowbirds and carnival workers. <------<<<<<

Wilderness area is a non issue with his tag.

Thanks for the info from above posts.

>Read it again SLOWLY. He
>says right in the post
>that the guy recently moved
>out of Wyoming AFTER he
>drew the tag. He
>couldn't have drawn a NR
>tag if he was a
>resident of Wyoming and just
>moved to another state.
>I can't believe there is
>anyone here saying the OP
>is not clear about what
>he's asking and we need
>more information. The day
>the guy applied for the
>tag as a resident before
>he moved is what counts,
>not the date of the
>drawing.

Not sure where you are reading he said he moved after he drew the tag. That would mean he moved in the last week. Correct? I'm sure if he was a resident when he applied he is ok.

LAST EDITED ON Jun-30-17 AT 11:25PM (MST)[p]+1 jm77

Topgun you crack me up. I am trying to paint a mental picture of what you would be like to hang out with in real life. You say something's that I totally agree with, some that I don't. In either scenario, you have a way with words in your writing that usually pisses a guy off even when he agrees with you. I have a few friends like that.

Maybe try reading it FASTER. Slow isn't working for you...?. Just kidding with you. ?

Deepcolor...thanks for the reply with the details and response. Since a resident can start applying for all tags on January 1st each year, you would still be ok to hunt as a resident even if you left the state on January 2nd (assuming you submitted your applications on the 1st).

LAST EDITED ON Jul-01-17 AT 07:58AM (MST)[p]Okay, he didn't actually say he moved after he drew the tag since he said RECENTLY, so sue me, LOL! It doesn't matter when he moved as long as he was a legal resident when he applied for the tag under the Wyoming resident requirements. He could have moved out of Wyoming the day after he applied for the tag just like deerfanatic stated and he'd still be legal. That's why I said you guys are putting way too much into the thought process to answer the OP question. Sorry I piss you off deerfanatic, but I'm an old fart and patience is not one of my virtues! However, I'd bet anybody on this forum and I would get along fine if we "hung out together" as you put it! Have a good holiday weekend everyone and be safe out there. Accidents can happen in a heartbeat, as we just found out recently here on the site!

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom