Residency Situation (New Mexico)

D

Desertdweller

My family and I currently reside in the state of New Mexico. My three boys and I applied for several different big game species sometime in March 2007. It appears that we will be moving to Idaho sometime in late summer (July/August). We applied prior to any knowledge of the move. If we are successful in drawing some big game tags how does the residency status affect us. Can we legally hunt with resident tags even though we will have lived in Idaho for approx 60 - 90 days.

Anyone with any experience or thoughts on this one would be appreciated.

Desertdweller

LAST EDITED ON Apr-08-07 AT 12:57PM (MST)[p] In wyoming you have to live here one full year, each state is different. You might have to hunt as a nonresident the first year in Idaho. But I would think NM would allow you to go ahead and hunt since you applied before moving. It happens all the time.

All it says in the Regs is that you have to live in New Mexico for 90 days before applying for big game licenses. I wouldn't try to hunt in two different states as a "resident", but from the limited definition given, I would say you are good to go.

Don't rely on just the regulations to determine this. Look it up in the G&F laws through the state. Or better yet, call NM G&F and ask them. I'd call several different people though. I've asked the same question about a law that lets me hunt as a resident and have been given different answers. Bottom line is what the state law says in writing. I know some states are different, and I doubt you'd live in Idaho long enough to apply/hunt as a resident anyways. I don't see how that will be a problem with hunting NM as a resident. Most laws determine your residency at the time of application, not hunt. I will have the same type of problem next year in CO.

It's Bush's fault!!!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom