Resident Elk with 9 points

Adventurewriter

Very Active Member
I have a friend that has 9 points and looking for a bull elk hunt. He is hoping for a quality hunt that has a good chance of having a chance at a solid five or any six point or even any bull??? He is fit and will do the work and open to rifle or Muzzy, Things have changed since I had points so stopped paying attention and I know the quality has gone down in most units and he well might be in no mans land.

9 resident points is a lot of points. He could muzzle load hunt the entire state except for a few units that require a ridiculous number of points. Your friend must not muzzy hunt or he wouldn’t have 9 points. I suggest he put in for a muzzy hunt because it is the most fun you can have elk hunting. Have him put in for a unit he knows. If he’s new to elk hunting, have him look at units that he can draw that require the most points, maybe unit 76. Learn to call and enjoy hunting the rut.

Thanks Gunni..... I know 49 really well and knows it has slid but the points haven't I think he is just behind what he needs for the muzzy hunt hate to advise him to wait if you are right behind the curve for years to come and even the pointers in the teens start to get tired of waiting and put in for the second tier hunts like 49 and 76. He has never muzzy hunted but I told him my 50 is eager for a trip and likely he will go that way. Anybody think 9 draws 49 muzzy???

FYI, I checked my Colorado Outdoors Annual Preference Point Issue and Unit 61 will take a minimum of 16 points for muzzle.

Area 20 January season I'd put it against any trophy area in the state.
That’s interesting on Unit 20. ??. I’m a rifle hunter sitting on 15 points for elk, 12 deer points, 7 antelope. Tough choices all around on which unit to try for. I guess unit 20 in January is not rifle ? I’ve never hunted it obviously. I’m a trophy hunter but still love any wild game meat ? too.
Have you ever hunted unit 20 ? I live in Windsor- not very far away. What’s that area like elk hunting in January ? Thanks !
Jerry Gold - in Windsor , Colorado ???

I swung 20 by a buddy who has lived up there is whole life and hunts a lot he said the skinny on 20 is is can be great or a complete dud...it depends on if the bulls come out of the park,,,plus he said the real key is private access

Unit 76 last year was 85% success with 9 pts so he would likely draw it with 10. I hunted it 3 years ago archery and wish I held out for muzzy. I had a great time and had bulls bugling pretty much every day and got a lot better around the muzzy season. Saw an amazing amount of elk and probably the only problem I had was there were too many elk so lots of eyes to keep track of. I'd do that in a heartbeat if it were me. It is a challenging unit terrain-wise but if he's in decent shape he should do just fine. PM if you'd like more info.

270 Apparently not that hard sounds like you figured it out. MM killed their mechanism a few years back I thought and Top rut is two yrs old... is there some other magic I don't know about. As a mentioned I am out of the points game and not paying attention anymore

Doesn't take long to look up a specific unit but if you want to look at all of them it could take a while. That full report is almost a thousand pages.

But one tip is EE is either sex, unit 40 for example is either sex. EF is cow and EM is bull only.

270 Apparently not that hard sounds like you figured it out. MM killed their mechanism a few years back I thought and Top rut is two yrs old... is there some other magic I don't know about. As a mentioned I am out of the points game and not paying attention anymore
I use Toprut which used to be free. It's currently setup for free showing 2 year old data but if you want the latest info, it's $10 per year for 2 States or All States for a bit more. CPW is all free but just takes time to sift thru all the raw data so for me, it's worth the $10 to save me time. It's has other features/benefits too but I mostly use their points data as it's real easy to sort thru it.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Blue Mountain Outfitters

Unit 10 trophy deer and elk in Northwest Colorado. Guaranteed tags. Call Kent (801) 562-1802

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom