Resident Mule Deer Archery - Holy Cross Wilderness

BigStew

Hey Folks -

Myself and a buddy are looking to hunt archery mule deer within the Holy Cross Wilderness this year. We’ve done a ton of research, but we are still having trouble getting more up-to-date info.

We are mainly looking for any tips for the HCW area. We will be hiking in and hunting opening day for over a week. We are also capable of getting deep into the backcountry (prefer that).

I understand I’m a new member to this site, I get any hesitations. With that said, I plan on being a more regular user here as I just found it!

Also, if you plan on being out there around the same time, let us know. We’d love to help on your hunt and would enjoy the company!

Last edited:
I think you'll see a higher response rate if you ask more specific questions. Do you live near the area? Been far back in HCW before?

The best broad spectrum advice I have to offer... once you and your friend have a game plan, spend a weekend rehearsing it this summer. Some of those trails are very high traffic areas for non hunters and September is one of the busiest months of the year in yuppie land. It's surprising just how much they can screw up a hunt plan.

Roger that! Yeah I actually edited my post shortly after posting it. We will be focusing on the Unit 444 section of the wilderness. Understandably, some people don’t like discussing these things on forums! Bc of that, I was trying to keep it more high level.

Best of luck! I have never been in there from the 444 side, and I don't have a map in front of me right now but if I remember right, I think that would limit you to a very small portion of the wilderness. If it's anything like the parts of the wilderness I have been in, I wouldn't expect to do much deviating from the trail until you're above tree line. That timber and deadfall is brutal.

I have only hunted the Holy Cross once on an early rifle hunt in September. Before the opener, we hiked in about 7 miles south of the Beaver ski resort. We saw a few elk, but no deer or deer tracks, so we left that area. We went to an area on the southwest corner of the unit and saw some nice bull elk in bow range, but no deer. We finally found a buck on day 4. It was about 3/4 mile away and we had to hike down a steep sidehill, cross a pretty good sized river and up the other side. After a half mile hike uphill, I was able to flush him out into the open and my buddy got a quick shot at him and luckily dropped him. He was a good 32 inch wide 4 point. As far as archery deer hunting on that unit, I would never even consider it, but I would like to try an archery elk hunt there.

I asked my friend why he put us it for that unit. He said a lot of big bucks have been killed there in the past. Come to find out, they were mostly killed on winter range on late hunts that they used to have there, not on early high country hunts. Also, don't count on finding many deer above 11,000 feet.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom