Resident/ nonresident allocation

Deercy

I see on I hunt colorado Facebook page that they kept 80/20 for high demand, and 75/25 on the rest.

I would rather see landowner tags handed back over to the res/nonres draw that all hunters have the opportunity to draw than drop nonres quotas (this coming from a Colo resident!).

Colorado continues to be the most nonres-friendly state in the Western US. I'm pretty proud of that fact!

I would rather see landowner tags handed back over to the res/nonres draw that all hunters have the opportunity to draw than drop nonres quotas (this coming from a Colo resident!).

Colorado continues to be the most nonres-friendly state in the Western US. I'm pretty proud of that fact!
Why?
If they are Colorado land owner tags why should they be available for non residents?

I'm not complaining. They updated the high demand units, and gave us more tags. Hard to put a negative spin on that. It's been years since any good change.

I have no dog in this fight since I am a Wyoming resident but if I Lived in Colorado would defiantly want to see 90/10 no more OTC NR elk tags. All antlered tags weather first choice second choice or reissue tags would loose bonus points.. Residents get first choice on all reissue tags..

Per the Big Game brochure, the allocation is 80/20 and 65/35.

The quotas are now applied to bear and pronghorn too.

Can anyone provide a link to the actual CPW approval to the 80/20 & 75/25 ratios? I can find the 75/25% ratios proposed at the May Commission meeting but not sure if that was approved. Cannot find anything about the 80/20 ratio for high PP units.

Thanks

I’d reckon the lions share of LO tags end up in non res hands via private sales and guiding… just saying

80/20 for high demand hunts has been in effect for a long time but the change for this year was that the list of 80/20 hunt codes was revised/increased based on more recent demand data. See the 2023 big game brochure for full details. All other limited draw hunt codes are switching to 75/25 but not this year.

I could be wrong but don't believe I am, but believe the landowner pool of tags came from the non resident allocation side of the tags, in the beginning, which is fine, just wish they couldn't sell them, all it did was muddy the water, we should a post on how much people are willing to pay for these tags ,, and if a landowner can sell it then so should I be able to,,,, right

Landowner vouchers have given me some good experiences. I feel like I'm hypocritical if I say anything negative about them. They definitely add a dimension to the hunt options.

For LO tags, say a unit has 100 buck tags 3rd season allocated. Automatically 20% or 20 tags go to the LO vouchers. Then the remaining 80 tags are divide up say 80/20. You could assume that most vouchers are bought by non residents. So in reality non residents are still getting between 20% and 40% of tags actually allocated.

LO tag allocation is written law and would be hard to change like getting trapping back.

LO tags only happen in units that draw tags. So all units have LO tags for deer. The OTC elk units do not.

I could be wrong but don't believe I am, but believe the landowner pool of tags came from the non resident allocation side of the tags, in the beginning, which is fine, just wish they couldn't sell them, all it did was muddy the water, we should a post on how much people are willing to pay for these tags ,, and if a landowner can sell it then so should I be able to,,,, right
Not correct....the LO allocation has nothing to do with the NR split. As mentioned above, CPW takes the LO tags off the top as a percentage of the total quota for the hunt code in question, before the public draw occurs. What's left of the quota for that hunt code is then subject to the NR/RES split.

For LO tags, say a unit has 100 buck tags 3rd season allocated. Automatically 20% or 20 tags go to the LO vouchers. Then the remaining 80 tags are divide up say 80/20. You could assume that most vouchers are bought by non residents. So in reality non residents are still getting between 20% and 40% of tags actually allocated.

LO tag allocation is written law and would be hard to change like getting trapping back.

LO tags only happen in units that draw tags. So all units have LO tags for deer. The OTC elk units do not.
Hmm. I was thinking that even some of our OTC units down here have another half dozen or so private land only seasons that extend WELL after the regular 4.

It seems like the elk seasons last from Sept through January. It might be my jaundiced imagination though.

Hmm. I was thinking that even some of our OTC units down here have another half dozen or so private land only seasons that extend WELL after the regular 4.

It seems like the elk seasons last from Sept through January. It might be my jaundiced imagination though.
Nope that is correct, typically those will be antlerless only tags but good from Sept thru Jan with a rifle

Nothing stopping you from buying a landowner tag! Well, maybe there is.

Aren't Private Land Only tags different from LO Vouchers?

I thought PLO were issued through the draw and LO Vouchers were issued directly to the LO or their agent.

I’d reckon the lions share of LO tags end up in non res hands via private sales and guiding… just saying
Probably true for higher demand LO tags but I bet those lower demand ones go the other way more towards the resident side and there are probably more of those ones. I am sure that data is out there somewhere.

Aren't Private Land Only tags different from LO Vouchers?

I thought PLO were issued through the draw and LO Vouchers were issued directly to the LO or their agent.
There is a difference, PLO are only for private land while vouchers are unit wide tags that get issued to land owners via a separate draw and there is some kind of system weighted on size of land holding I think….

The 20% off of the Top LO Tags were discussed in the Meeting Video. They said that vouchers are used by 55% NR and 45% Res.
Only one Commissioner was questioning about LO Vouchers, the rest set on their hands.

That surprises me that vouchers are at 45% for residents. I expected more NR than that. But I suppose many are used by the landowner and friends as well.

I have a question but, first thank you Colorado and the residents for letting me as a nonres enjoy your state for many years.
I have Hunted in the Northwest area for many years.
It has been Mostly for Elk and a Deer tag every once in awhile.
It is an annual thing for me.
With this plan what happens to the unlimited OTC Elk tags for the 2nd and 3rd seasons in the Northwest area?
I personally don't think the residents can/will buy all of the tags in that area.
Would they then become leftovers?
The 4th season has always been a draw application but there has always been leftover tags available for purchase. (Maybe not this year with the winter situation).
Thanks

Okay let me rephrase and maybe I am over thinking.
If Colorado changes the tags allocations to a certain amount of tags for residents and a certain amount for nonres will that affect those areas of the Northwest where tags have been unlimited OTC in years past?
Specifically the 2nd and 3rd rifle seasons.

Not being a jerk but I do wonder why they invited Non-residents to take this survey especially the portions pertaining to tag allocations. What kind of results did they expect from our out of state friends?
Right? Like no we don’t want OTC tags anymore? Haha we are the defacto spot for everyone and I mean everyone these days

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom