Respectable Elk.

hiefnac

Plan on getting out west to hunt elk in the future. What would you consider to be a respectable size elk? And what goals are realistic?

>Plan on getting out west to
>hunt elk in the future.
>What would you consider to
>be a respectable size elk?
>And what goals are realistic?
>

This is my first year to hunt elk but my respectable elk that I am holding out for is the first legal one that comes in front of my stick and string!

Good luck hunting.

The question is a little vague to be honest. Are you going DIY, private or public land, state and area, limited draw, general, or OTC tag. etc.... BUT lets just say CO, second season, OTC, public land then harvesting a legal bull would be a realistic goal and an accomplishment for a first timer.

>Plan on getting out west to
>hunt elk in the future.
>What would you consider to
>be a respectable size elk?
>And what goals are realistic?
>

Respectable: Depends on your circle of friends; if none of them have killed an elk, your spike is going to look huge next to your 10 point!

Goals: Have fun & live in the moment! Elk are amazing creatures and you'll be blessed to see some your first time afield (unless you're guided on a ranch of course). Plan on making lots of memories, and don't put too much pressure on yourself to make it happen.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-16 AT 01:19PM (MST)[p]Some would say the best elk is the one closest to the truck! Usually the guy that just spent 2 days packing one on his back 5 miles from his truck! As others have said it depends on the unit/season, guided/diy. Know this, as sooner or later you will come to this conclusion, any elk is a good elk! Good luck!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-05-16 AT 01:20PM (MST)[p]^^^^^
Yep! What DW, hunt_the_west and UtahJimmy said.
That's all you need to know for now.

Best of luck to you,
Zeke

First legal bull. Don't pass up any bulls as your first just to reach a score. Get a couple under your belt then start setting goals. Your confidence will be up and much easier to judge them too :D
Good luck.

To answer your question though, most hunters simply look for a 6x6 as a respectable bull, regardless of score.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

A couple years ago I killed 2 elk in one morning and they fell less than 100 yards apart. It wasn't 5 miles to the truck but it was an honest mile and a half. I had no horses, as usual, and only my brother to help. We packed elk meat all day and knew we'd be all the next...at least. That night we drove to an area that had cell service and called in my son and my brother's son (both +/- 30) and they came up early the next morning. That second day was awesome! haha

Zeke

Depends on what you consider to be "respectable". And if you already have an idea in mind then that would dictate where you hunt.

For the public units of Colorado, 275". I think you can do better if you drop camp way in certain places like the Flat Tops of the White River NF.

General tag in Wyoming, 300". They get a few bigger.

SB1 Guide tags or landowner tags in New Mexico, or quota tags in Idaho I would say 320". They get a few bigger.

If you want the highly restricted units - in any state - where you have to wait 5+ years for the tag, then I would say 350". other than Colorado. Their highly restricted units are very overrated IMO.

But any bull is a nice one. The thoughts and opinions expressed above are my own and only by my experience.

Really depends on where u hunt.
In Utah I think a 320+ on limited entry is a respectable bull. 340 plus is a good bull and 360 + is great bull. 380+ is a giant Just
My opinion.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom