results up. all red!

The same distribution of popular tags against non-popular is the same (leftovers). Just getting tougher each year to pull a tag that you could almost count on every year.

I would like to see a waiting period imposed for those who draw a tag. Draw an elk tag, you sit out the next year for elk. Draw a deer tag, you sit out next year for deer.

Something needs to be done if these increases keep happening on a yearly basis. Eventually, you get tired of always striking out all the time to people who really aren't in it for the long haul...
Agree with a sit out period. I am vastly against point system of any kind but if you draw elk you sit one year, or two if its q/hd tag . I think if you do this then do the draw to species specific draw and each species is drawn separately it will also help mitigate the flood of new apps every year because people will be ineligible. I mean i get its luck and random but it does take some fairness away I know people who have drawn 16 a archery three years in a row now and that same person has drawn unit 8 deer two years in a row to me that should require a sit out. when someone like me who plays the odds hasn't drawn one good archery tag their entire life . Just my thoughts but if this keeps happening year over year of these increases then it really serves no purpose to continue to apply the fun is gone from it knowing you are never going to get a tag

Or if you are the beyond rubicon guys lol they got 3 caldera tags in 4 years, i called to verify this with game and fish too . I kept seeing their show and every time they hunted valles caldera I'm like no way they are that lucky so I called to confirm and sure as ****.... curious does the director still have those 150 or so directors tags? or did those go hush hush?

If you've hunted antelope, then you've "hunted" oryx.

Not any more difficult to take down than an elk. Shoot poorly and they'll go. Shoot deadly and they'll drop within sight.

Is it OIL or broken horn?
Thanks RR!
It is the OIL tag.

I’m gonna get some hate from all the guys on this site when I post this...........it was my first time applying for an oryx tag!!!!

I have applied every year for 20+ years for about all other species but just never added oryx to the mix. My son drew a youth ibex tag several years ago so this will be our second exotic species hunt. NM has blessed our family with some really great tags over the years.
two of my sons have already committed to helping me out on this oryx hunt and are looking forward to accompanying me on this rare opportunity. My youngest son will be in college so will miss out tho.

Agree with a sit out period. I am vastly against point system of any kind but if you draw elk you sit one year, or two if its q/hd tag . I think if you do this then do the draw to species specific draw and each species is drawn separately it will also help mitigate the flood of new apps every year because people will be ineligible. I mean i get its luck and random but it does take some fairness away I know people who have drawn 16 a archery three years in a row now and that same person has drawn unit 8 deer two years in a row to me that should require a sit out. when someone like me who plays the odds hasn't drawn one good archery tag their entire life . Just my thoughts but if this keeps happening year over year of these increases then it really serves no purpose to continue to apply the fun is gone from it knowing you are never going to get a tag

Agreed. Choosing weapon would be a moot point, but the other points you bring up make sense.

That would be too much work though. NM is a status quo state: if it's broke, don't fix it...

I don't like the idea of having to sit out after drawing a tag. I like knowing that I have the opportunity to hunt elk every year. I went 6 years without drawing a tag, and have now drawn back to back years in the same unit. I hunted muzzleloader last year, and i drew an archery tag this year. you at least have a shot to draw every year with this method. If you have to sit a year after drawing a tag you don't even give yourself an opportunity to hunt some years.

Thanks RR!
It is the OIL tag.

I’m gonna get some hate from all the guys on this site when I post this...........it was my first time applying for an oryx tag!!!!

I have applied every year for 20+ years for about all other species but just never added oryx to the mix. My son drew a youth ibex tag several years ago so this will be our second exotic species hunt. NM has blessed our family with some really great tags over the years.
two of my sons have already committed to helping me out on this oryx hunt and are looking forward to accompanying me on this rare opportunity. My youngest son will be in college so will miss out tho.
That is a great hunt you are going to have a blast! I have been on Rhodes four times and am anxious to get back out there again. I have learned a thing or two and know exactly where I would send someone. Just need my daughter to draw her OIL. If you have any questions let me know.

Carlos

I don't like the idea of having to sit out after drawing a tag. I like knowing that I have the opportunity to hunt elk every year. I went 6 years without drawing a tag, and have now drawn back to back years in the same unit. I hunted muzzleloader last year, and i drew an archery tag this year. you at least have a shot to draw every year with this method. If you have to sit a year after drawing a tag you don't even give yourself an opportunity to hunt some years.
Did you go 6 years without an elk tag, or any tag at all?

You only sit out for that species only, not all of them. It's only one application the next draw cycle. That's how it used to be for elk rifle hunts, for those of us old enough to remember...

Nothing better than racist comments about your fellow New Mexicans. I bet you are a blast around the campfire.
I had hoped that my fellow hunters weren't the ones in this world that see and hear racism in just about anything that is said. I guess I was wrong. The comment was obviously a joke.

Sounds like I would prefer to share a campfire with bobby.

Anyone selling their freezers? Dont hate me. Family drew 3 ES tags for elk 34. I got archery, Zach muzzle loader, and wife has rifle. Will never happen again so I got to gloat while I can. LOL
As soon as I sell you a freezer we will pull more tags than we have time to fill.

So NO!!! :cool:

Good for you guys, should be a fun year.

Anyone selling their freezers? Dont hate me. Family drew 3 ES tags for elk 34. I got archery, Zach muzzle loader, and wife has rifle. Will never happen again so I got to gloat while I can. LOL
Congratulations! You get to chase elk all fall.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom