results up. all red!

Congrats to all the green!!! My first sea of red. Guess NM decided I needed to sit on the bench this year. Ouch!!

Green Green!! 2 for 9 between dad and I.

I pulled 3rd choice elk tag that my dad had 2 years ago. We killed a nice bull late rifle that year, I've got the 1st rifle tag this year.

And dad pulled our 1st choice deer tag, unit where he killed a slob back in 2017 - hope to repeat that.

Now to wait and see if my Colorado points will be enough for a deer tag in November, and re-align rest of my spring app strategy to gobble up points and NOT draw anything else.

Come on fall!

27 unsuccessfuls for my family and a friend - jeezus. Draw odds for several hunts were in the 20% range too. I suspect the draw odds tanked this year with a pile of new applicants. I know I have enough points to draw my Wyoming archery elk tag thank goodness. I guess I just saved a bunch of money......

Off range Oryx for me! Same hunt my nephew and I both drew in 2018.

IMG_2251.JPG

IMG_2282.JPG

Who knows where the OTC Ibex or other animals are!?

(...PM pretty plz, as I cry to be receiving my tags apps fully refunded)

I try to play the odds every year by going for less popular hunts, but this is the first year ever for me that I drew a complete blank. I've always said that the year I don't draw anything I'm going to be buying a guided mountain lion hunt, so this will be that year... :)

My NZ hunt was postponed again this year too. @#$% covid.

Congrats to all of you who drew.

All red for me. I've drawn at least something in NM for the last 7 years. I had decent odds on more than one of my choices and my 3rd choice deer was undersubscribed the last several years.
It will be interesting to see the odds report. In past years there were deer tags that were available as left over I would have taken but I'm guessing this year they won't be many if any available.

All red for me and I put in for hunts that are pretty easy draws. My wife draw an antlerless elk, and we feel lucky for having that. Sea of red for everyone I know. Will talk to the neighbor later today to see if he drew. Anyone have any recommendations on outfitter hunts for muzzle mule deer in the Gila?

First time putting in for NM. Just mule deer. All red. Put in for unit 24 as last choice. Supposedly it's 80+% draw rate. Not sure I believe those stats now.

First all red year in 5yrs for my family. They could of held off releasing that crap till the 28th. LoL

Congrats to the lucky few. Dam jealous

O Well..... All RED guess I will try for a senior Cow tag in Dec. Daughter got an Elk bow tag, brother got a Nov. cow tag. So the whole family didn't strike out.

Well now is the time to sell my damn ammo since I have no hunts. $500 a box have 223, 243, 270 WSM, to 300 RUM. Lol ?

There is NO 80% draw success hunt code in NM !! Wrong info my friend..
There is for some people - you know, the ones who think NM has the best draw system around because they draw every year.

DER-3-256 was 65% the prior year, so that's fairly close. DER-2-255 was 61%. Both are unit 24 but those figures are for residents.

Against only first choice apps. If you consider against all the choices, which act as "sub-applications" it is lower, and against all applications before the the shuffle it is lower than that.

Drew Rhodes Canyon Oryx for the February 11-13 hunt. I hope those are good dates. Will accept any input, advice, tips etc. as I don’t know anything about hunting those animals. I’m pretty excited.
If you've hunted antelope, then you've "hunted" oryx.

Not any more difficult to take down than an elk. Shoot poorly and they'll go. Shoot deadly and they'll drop within sight.

Is it OIL or broken horn?

Drew Rhodes Canyon Oryx for the February 11-13 hunt. I hope those are good dates. Will accept any input, advice, tips etc. as I don’t know anything about hunting those animals. I’m pretty excited.
use the tanks to glass off long distance.

Take some type of "stand-up" shooting sticks. Often too much brush and grass to shoot prone or even sitting, and you'll likely have shots in the 200-400 yard range.

Congrats on the awesome tag, it is normally a really fun hunt.

I am shocked that even opportunity deer hunts are becoming coveted. I don’t foresee things getting better so either find a lucky horse shoe and hope to get drawn or hit the OTC or hunt other states. A hunt I drew 3rd choice last year didn’t draw as first.

I’m just not super lucky but I sure wish we would require hunter safety here to do a little population control on the apps. Several other states do it.

Some people must lucky as hell cause lots of same people I know draw! Damn them

Y'all see the record of most apps was set this draw for NM?

I wonder how many, if any, leftover tags will be up for sale?
Double-edged sword for sure. More revenue for game and fish but it decreases your overall chances to get drawn.

I sure wish we would require hunter safety here to do a little population control on the apps. Several other states do it.

Some people must lucky as hell cause lots of same people I know draw! Damn them

Couldn't agree more, on both accounts.

More disappointed my youth hunter did not draw a tag. In a couple of years, life will start to get in the way like it is for her older sibling.

Edit: Also, these TV show personalities that run "whatever Talks" and Podcasts speak way too much about NM's draw system. It isn't western hunters that are applying in droves. It's people from west of the Rockies applying because they found out there is no point system and they have as much of a chance to draw their first year applying as someone else does that hasn't pulled a tag in 10 years...

Last edited:
283,001 , 63K more than last year and yes a few deer left overs and antelope youth.
Curious to see if the uptick was more residents or non residents. Im going with Residents . Everyone and their cousin thinks they are hunters these day . Oda le bro apply your grandma with me i know everything about hunting we will just shoot it for her....

at this rate next year there will be another 70k increase and almost impossible to draw anything . I'm seriously to the point of selling most my gear and buying me a nice bass boat. at least one can fish as much as one wants to. Then just pay to go on a deer hunt every three years on private or some ****

Curious to see if the uptick was more residents or non residents. Im going with Residents . Everyone and their cousin thinks they are hunters these day . Oda le bro apply your grandma with me i know everything about hunting we will just shoot it for her....
Nothing better than racist comments about your fellow New Mexicans. I bet you are a blast around the campfire.

Nothing better than racist comments about your fellow New Mexicans. I bet you are a blast around the campfire.
Where in any of my statement did I say anything racist bro . I am a chicano too. nothing racist in my post at all

Making a blanket statement like that implies that it is all Hispanics applying in the way you suggest, not to mention butchering the Spanish language while you are at it. Maybe it’s not racist in it’s intent, but sure comes off that way. Just my opinion.

Making a blanket statement like that implies that it is all Hispanics applying in the way you suggest, not to mention butchering the Spanish language while you are at it. Maybe it’s not racist in it’s intent, but sure comes off that way. Just my opinion.
Wasn't a blanket statement I was addressing the uptick in applications and no where did I say all Hispanics, I was simply speaking to the uptick. I'm sure every race has people that have that mentality and you are naïve to think people don't apply and hunt that way. Apply grandma and take her to camp while they hunt for her. This is New Mexico man, and people live by their own rules period. I WISH THIS STATE WOULD FUND THE GAME AND FISH MORE TO HIRE MORE OFFICERS .
The poaching the harassing's of hunters is out of control and nothing is being done about it. I've been up north and had a whole camp broken down and stole from me, a truck keyed end to end for no reason and you expect me to think these same people are out here applying the right way or hunting the right way ?

and to clarify this is not a blanket statement I don't want to be called a racist for something that was not even remotely racist actually kind of pissed me off you said that.

Last edited:
at this rate next year there will be another 70k increase and almost impossible to draw anything . I'm seriously to the point of selling most my gear and buying me a nice bass boat. at least one can fish as much as one wants to. Then just pay to go on a deer hunt every three years on private or some ****

The same distribution of popular tags against non-popular is the same (leftovers). Just getting tougher each year to pull a tag that you could almost count on every year.

I would like to see a waiting period imposed for those who draw a tag. Draw an elk tag, you sit out the next year for elk. Draw a deer tag, you sit out next year for deer.

Something needs to be done if these increases keep happening on a yearly basis. Eventually, you get tired of always striking out all the time to people who really aren't in it for the long haul...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom