Retirement

LIK2HNT

Long Time Member
Been retired for 4 weeks now. Taking some time, but I think I am getting the hang of it. Only problem is my to do list is growing faster then I check items off. First week off I camped with my wife. Just felt like vacation. Second week I went turkey hunting, worked around the house, worked on the travel trailer, etc. Third week we went to Oregon and looked at houses. Forth week I went archery turkey hunting. Smoked my turkey and made smoked Turkey sandwiches. Yesterday smoked pork shoulders for 9 hours to make pulled pork for today’s party. Smoked ribs this morning and other food for the party. Celebrated Mother’s Day and my son-in-laws birthday today. Pretty good feast with family and friends. Pulled pork sandwiches, pork ribs, macaroni salad, green salad, and drinks.
BF996BF8-456B-441F-8ABA-91E486BE0FA5.jpeg

CA066014-89E9-4D80-A2CC-FB1B0404C9B1.jpeg

52AB133B-7ECA-47FA-8001-28480849F095.jpeg

It looks like you're getting the hang of it. Congratulations, it's a major event. It's now been over 10 years for me. When people asked me what I was going to do after I retired, I told them it's all about what I'm NOT going to do.

I ran into the owner of the sawmill I worked at awhile back and he offered me a job.

Excuse me???

Retied over 3 years ago did 5 trips around the Country . Good time Seen a lot. Just took a part time job for some extra Hunting $ . Not quite 67 yet ,low stress job when I want to. Retirement is great I will take Fall and Winters off and Hunt..........BULL!

Will be 48 in September. Always said I would try to retire at 55. Very well on track for that financially, just not sure I will be mentally ready by then. Severe workaholic. Working on getting that in order.

Will be 48 in September. Always said I would try to retire at 55. Very well on track for that financially, just not sure I will be mentally ready by then. Severe workaholic. Working on getting that in order.
Get a bunch of hobbies , Hunting many States , Fishing ,Golfing and if Your Married thats plenty. . Good Luck. work is overated . Retire if You got the $..............BULL!

I understand. 55 is pretty young to just retire from work if you're programed to work. My best hunting bud is 76 and he just won't quit working. He doesn't need the money, but he needs the job, if that makes sense. It's important to feel needed and useful too. I don't suffer from that. ?

I understand. 55 is pretty young to just retire from work if you're programed to work. My best hunting bud is 76 and he just won't quit working. He doesn't need the money, but he needs the job, if that makes sense. It's important to feel needed and useful too. I don't suffer from that. ?
Yessir. Fully understand. In a role for last 20+ years that has had activity going on 24/7 365. I can never turn my phone off or unplug. That is ingrained in me and a very hard thing to get out of. Joys of being involved in multiple companies and the owner of 2. Will get it all sorted out eventually. Hopefully.

I wanted to say Congrats but got interrupted when you posted this Lik2hunt. I am happy for you. I missed the boat and wish I had retired two years ago. Now I'm getting paid so well and still have plenty days off so I might stay a few more years.
Time is like currency so use it well to do all those things you dreamt of. Have fun !

@57 I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
I'm dang sure ready!!!
Maybe 5 more to go.
All I can say is retire as soon as you are able. Retired right before my 60th Birthday. In fact that was one of the gifts to myself. Worked hard my whole life and it is starting to take its toll. Wife and I have investment properties also and everything just started to be too much. I will be busy for the rest of my life hunting, enjoying time with my wife, fishing, camping, building cars, and working on our houses on my schedule.
Noticed the order above. ???

I've been retired since December 2017 and to tell ya the truth I am more busy now with projects and outings, than I ever was back on the job.

You are going to Love it!

Congrats on your career,

Robb
Same month/year I retired from uncle sugar. I won't go back.

I've retired 3? times now.

2002 from the Air National Guard....but, didn't start getting paid till 2020.
From the Gubment in 2013.
Then, I worked pretty much full-time for 8 years. I wanted 3 days a week and was worked 4-5.
Then, I drove schoolbus....what a itch that was. Trying to get kids to stop cussing and playing the fool. Then, I got a real good single-tier route (only to one school). But, I was constantly asked to sub after, or before my route. Half the time they were without a regular driver, or the driver didn't give a hit about what was going on. (nobody had trained them, or was training them) A Split-Shift is a itch. When I started, I thought that I'd have 6 hours a day to work on my stuff....it worked out to about an hour a day to work on my projects. But, in the summer, Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring-break, I was laid-off....Unemployment. I made as much, or more in UE. That was a major bonus.

I have got a bunch of small things done around the house. I don't think that I've sat on my ass once.

I told my wife the other day that I didn't think that I was going to look for work.

If you don't know how you ever had tie to work....you don't know how to retire.

I will add, I am currently working on a scheme that will allow me to permanently step away from the whole 24/7/365 sham and spend the next few years staging for complete financial freedom/security.

Both I and the fully retired before we were 40 debt free from the military. Its been 7 years now hunting and fishing whenever I want. Used to be we were the only RVers on the weekdays now the parks are packed with homeless RVers... Not fun anymore.
Move to Cali where a night of camping will cost you a minimum of $85 per night. Homeless can't afford to camp.

Move to Cali where a night of camping will cost you a minimum of $85 per night. Homeless can't afford to camp.
These people have money but never lived within their means. Now the fad is to buy an affordable rv and move from park to park. Had a young Airman look at the rv I have for sale because she couldn't afford rent off base and she will be getting kicked out of the dorms once she sews on SrA. These rvers now days are a new kind of homeless moving from park to park in a big rv not tents anymore.

Y'all got me thinking.
I just started my application for SS but will continue to work so I feel relevant and wanted. Can't seem to get that at home! haha

59 years old. January 1st 2020 after a 31 year career. That was the break even. Pension was same as a monthly salary at that point. Like others have said. Probably busier now with a long need to do list.
“Pension was same as a monthly salary at that point”. That was what made my decision was when take home retired was about the same as take home working. Still have a hard time believing they pay me not to come to work. Sure is nice doing what I want when I want!

Congrats to all you retired folks! I just retired a few weeks ago from the fire service, and so far I don’t have any regrets. Hopefully I can draw a few tags this year to fill some of my time this fall. I’ve been doing a lot of hiking trying to drop a few pounds and get in better shape!

IMG_0038.jpeg

IMG_0088.jpeg

IMG_0074.jpeg

Retired at 65, in 2012. First 8-9 years were great, the last three the wheels are getting loose and it’s not as easy to fight the fast water in the rivers anymore. Hill climbing……. impossible. To slow to scramble out of the pickup to road hunt. Digging a post hole takes a week, but nobody cares anymore, that part is nice. Lost my libido, most liberating thing that’s ever happened to me.

Until the last year interest on savings has been an issue. I used to tell guys, if you have big plans to buy expensive toys, take long trips, go on lots of cruises, pay guides and outfitter $10,000 to $100,000 for hunting adventures, you best keep working because taking that cash out of your saving means it’s gone for ever. When you’re still working you can spend a big lump and replace it. Not so much after you retire.

Regular living isn’t as costly by retirement age…….. if you have paid off your home mortgage, own your vehicles, paid off the second home, etc etc, you have more of your monthly income to spend on other things. That’s a plus.

On the other hand, my insurance permiums (auto, house, health) keep taking more ever year. Inflation is not your friend unless you have major savings accounts, stocks have hit rock bottom twice and peaked out once during my 12 years.

I have very little debt. Getting to be less every year, as I’ve paid off a number of smaller lingering debts that I made minimum payment on……because the interest was minimal. As my wife and I retired, I arranged our Social Security payments and pension payments to come, one each week of the month. So……. I always keep a $100 bill tucked away in one of those little folds in my wallet. I figure, if I’m ever away from home and run out of money in the bank, I can get out the $100, buy a good book, and 8 or 10 cans of Dinty Moore Stew, pull into a shady spot and wait for another wad of cash to hit the bank. It’s called the “seven day survival plan”. Never had to test its validity yet.

Worst part of retirement for me was the loss of contact with co-workers.

Best part is the independence.

Getting old sucks but so far it’s beat the he!! out of the alternative.

I feel like I’ve lived at the best time in human history, ate the heart out of the watermellon, lived a full life with a wonderful woman and raised 5 great kids, that treat me way better than I deserve. No regrets and happy to say “nobody on Earth or in Heaven owns me anything”.

Here’s what I think, about one’s retirement. If you loved life while you were working and raising your family, you’re gonna love your retirement. I’ll leave the opposite unsaid.

All the best LIKE2HUNT.

Retirement is Awesome, I was 55 when I punched my ticket in 2014 . Yes ,I do miss some of my coworkers but not babysitting a bunch of teamsters intent on making life miserable on management.
It's vitality important to find "meaningful" things to do, I serve in many capacities within our Faith Family.
Love strategizing how and when to spend the preference points in 6 states I've accumulated , last year bought into a whitetail lease in Texas. Never hunted stands before but had a blast. Our RV gets a workout but never stay at established government campgrounds, usually take the canoe with my little electric motor ...so SO peaceful. Blood pressure is normal and my wife enjoys being around me again, YES I LOVE BEING RETIRED.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom