Retirement

D

driftersifter

I have exactly 1,100 working days left till retirement The bucks born this spring will be true trophys by my retirement. I have been practicing retirement during the summer for the last 22 years. How many years or days do you have left till the magic time of chasing anything that moves?

I am really happy for you......I have quite a few years left, probably 10 more but am looking forward to retirement.........hope your years are filled with big kills........... Thanks, Allen Taylor......

About 112 days left till my magic time of being able to chase anything that moves (opening day). Problem is, is that I have probably got about 25 years or so before I get to retire. Oh well. Maybe I'll win the lottery someday and get to retire early, huh?

Congrats on your quickly approaching retirement. It'll be here before you know it.

Happy hunting!
Jaxon

Still got 8 years or so till I can retire (hope I can afford to). Congrats to all who are there now. Can't wait till I have more time to hunt/fish etc.

Phantom Hunter

1,100 days, man thats a LIFETIME. Just kidding, been there and done that a number of times first in the Military and then a job.
Been retired for 1,287 days or 3 years, 6 months and 10 days.

But don't believe the old story of "The Golden Years" that fool that coined that phrase should be shot. As you get older, more things are apt to change and your health will finally catch up to you. BUT enjoy it and live it to its fullest.

Brian

Ive still got about 23-25 years, im 34. My dad is retiring at the end of the year though.

I only have 1,540 more shifts to go, but that equals 14 more years. Luckily being a fireman allows to have some quality time off to enjoy the outdoors.
Gary

4 months until I could, if I wanted, at age 55. Actually I like my job and the flexibility that the salary gives me to hunt out-of-state.

Its gonna be about 14,600 for me :-(, oh well i have time on my side for the 401-k to grow:).
Enjoy your retirement.

Knifeboy

My goal is at 50. That leaves 16 years. That's with several assumptions though. Who knows, I might be flat broke and at Mcdonalds at 70.

Looks like I have beat out most of you guys, I retired last year at age 57 and havn't look back. But, those darn Honey-do's will catch up with you. Now what am I going to do next, finish restoring the 68 Mustang, or get back to making those hunting knives, Maybe work up that new load for the 45/70, DAMN ! can not do those things yet, forgot about painting the trim on the house, damn honey-do's.

RELH

3 years, six weeks till I retire from law enforcement and start a new career.

ELKMASTER101- What happens in 62 days?

Ed

If my lottery numbers hit I will be Retiring on Monday.
If not, it looks like another 16 years.

I took a year off at 52 then bought my business. I may never really retire as I enjoy the purpose of work and learned a lot in that year. I will probably sell this biz in about five years then buy something that takes less actual work and allows me to go on longer hunts and fishing trips.

I have approx. 1,253 more get ups, as I'm 56 now. That's if I retire at 62. And if I live that long. The way the stock market's been I might have to work to 85.:)

On the other hand, my house is paid for, so at least I'll always have a place to camp.

One guy at work retired last Friday and another will retire this Friday. I hate them both!:)

Steve

Been there done that. Got out at 58, had retirement pkg. that made a big jump in 2000, only thing CA was good for. Now all you CA residents are supporting me, keep up the good work....LOL.

from the "Heartland of Wyoming"

Could do it at anytime if they piss me off! Got enough money, just don't know else I would do. I guess I keep on with the job for awhile and see how it goes. I sold the company last year and now work for the big Corp. that bought it.

Here is what you do when you retire. Spend 62 days since the first of the year walking your arse off looking for cast antlers. The wife still works because she enjoys it and I just wore out another $ 250.00 dollar pair of Mendyl (sp) boots. What a hoot! If it wasn't illegal to sell sheds in Kalifornicated I would do so to help pay for some petro. I guess I better go find a job since the weather is starting to turn a bit warmer.

RETIRED 16 MONTHS AGO AT 49, HAPPY & HEALTHY FROM THE FIRE DEPT. GREAT DAY IN MY LIFE, ALL I REALLY WANT TO DO IS HUNT,FISH,AND TRAVEL....SO FAR SO GOOD. YD.

NOW 43! WANT TO SALE EVERY THING AT 50!
So 7 yrs (the house we bought for 150k now at 600k by then
at should be at $1.2 million!)
Heavy 401K's(well into 200k! two of them, mine and hers).
Son will be into college then!
We want to motor home for two years and then move to New Mexico!
Just lucky and had her friends said move 401k money into less risky areas when NASDAQ was at 5000 go figure hardly lost a dime some of these guys are worth million because of stock options they got and sold from start up Companys before the big dive!
I have good friends that are now gonna lose they retirement because of an bankrupty judge is now gonna allow UNITED AIRLINES
to burn they're Retirement moneys to keep those CEO's rich!
jack

2 1/2 yrs, will have enough to keep me busy, and for once in my life I want to set in the house and watch it snow instead of working in it! would like to work in the summers and take the winters off!...Greg

Unfortunately the 1100 days really means that I have 6 years and 19 days of teaching school and I walk out the door at 55 I work three other jobs and will continue to work at those jobs as I need the money for fun,guns or trips to Canada fishing. That work will be on my terms, WAAAY different than teaching JR high school children. Believe me they do keep you young and excited about the sporting life. They are soo excited about hunting and fishing. Weekend news usually revolves around stories of hunting fishing, camping and riding 4 wheelers. Thier energy is quite contagious.
Good luck to all on the upcoming draws.
Michael

August of 2007 so it's approaching fast. Can't wait to spend the whole season bow hunting for Elk instead of just a week. I run twenty miles a week so stay healthy enough to hit the mountains hard. I really unjoy hunting those elusive monster sheds too.

ELKCHSR

where i work you can retire at 55. i have a little over 4 years left. aug 14, 2009 is the date i'm plannin' on. already looking for the perfect place to build a cabin and get outta dodge. can't wait.

Congrats to all the are retired, or will be soon, I am jealous!
I'll also be retiring on Saturday if the lotto tickets hit. If not, I hope to be semi-retired at age 55 (that's 22 years). Fully retired from Sept-January, and work a little the rest of the year till I'm 60. If I live that long.......it's nothing but huntin and fishin till my last breath.

Lien2

my daughter gets maried.
and i sell my home i'm in,
finish the new home i'm building
set up a gun range,
the stock market makes the right move.
Sure about the first 4, its the last one that keeps me working.

Probably right about the RV, just like the idea of being mobile until I saw if we could be that far away from kids/grandkids. Maybe I can talk the whole crew into coming out if it works out, oldest son gonna want to be out hunting with me all the time anyways.

I have been retired for 17 years now.
My advice is to do your best at enjoying your time now.....working or not. Enjoy the work......Enjoy the time off doing the things you want to do.
When you do retire......have something that you enjoy doing. A hobby or whatever. Something that gets you up in the morning with a smile. Go play.
If you wait too long, your health has to keep up too.

I have about 2 more years until I hand up my pruning shears (I'm a grape grower). I'm 62 now and will not make it to my max social security at 66+. Making a plan to get the hell out of Cali and move to where people have brains.

The way things are going in this world, I’ll retire when I’m DEAD!

no need to think about that magical day for me!

don’t plan on having enough to ever retire the way the economy keeps going!

just gonna live life like I’m dying tomorrow!

congrats to all those who figured it out! May the good life treat you even better than you had hoped!!!

I have about 2 more years until I hand up my pruning shears (I'm a grape grower). I'm 62 now and will not make it to my max social security at 66+. Making a plan to get the hell out of Cali and move to where people have brains.
Stay out of Utardia!

for some reason we’re being overrun by calitards!

maybe try Washington DC!

theres a lot of smart people out there!

Stay out of Utardia!

for some reason we’re being overrun by calitards!

maybe try Washington DC!

theres a lot of smart people out there!

That's what happened to NM. Too many liberals with misguided notions over the years and now we have an idiot for a gov'r.

I have exactly 1,100 working days left till retirement The bucks born this spring will be true trophys by my retirement. I have been practicing retirement during the summer for the last 22 years. How many years or days do you have left till the magic time of chasing anything that moves?
October 2022 so about 24 months left or about 500 days and then woot woot I am retired

For the ones wanting to sell and move out of California a shithole , you best be getting a move on it .

For the ones wanting to sell and move out of California a shithole , you best be getting a move on it .

65317094-EF9C-4249-BC62-1937BEEF1544.jpeg

I am an entrepreneur so I like what I do! If I get bored, I just start a new business. When my Dad retired he had a great time for a year or 2, then came to me and said "I just want to be in the game again". I will always remember this, as I believe what a man does defines him to a certain extent. As I have hunted 39 days already this year, I will keep on keeping on until I can't remember my name.

Fixed cars for 40 years. When I quit I will not touch another, I wont even change my own oil. I might work on golf carts if it is a nice course and free golf is included

I was planning to retire at 70.
Then Covid 19 hit!
Now I find myself within sight of the finish line and unable to even finish the race!
And I am one of the lucky ones. I am almost 65, relatively healthy, and can get SS now, and if my luck holds, I can find work at WalMart, or maybe Home Depot. Might even be able to keep my house!
Believe what you want about the dangers of catching Covid. The unemployment caused by the hysteria, is devastating millions!
But don't forget to wear your mask!

In 1981 my first boss wouldn’t let me off on a Saturday to go help work cattle on my ranch. He quoted the Bible Telling me “six days shalt thou labor”

My Dad “yes, but God didn’t say what you have to labor at”. I only worked for that guy for a year.

Have been a veterinarian for 40 years and looking at scaling back In that regard. But as stated by others, I will still work. One week it will be cutting cedar trees on my ranch with a bobcat, one week it it may be hunting an elk, and one week it might even be vet medicine.

The only difference is I will work more at what I still love to do. And “I” get to make the choices without having to show up from 7:30-5:30 at the same job every day.

Last edited:
When I retired in 2012 the owner of the sawmill told me if I ever needed a job to come in talk to him personally and he'd find a spot for me. I drive by there all the time but I've never had the urge to stop. I'm glad to see they're still going strong though.

I have approx. 1,253 more get ups, as I'm 56 now. That's if I retire at 62. And if I live that long. The way the stock market's been I might have to work to 85.:)

On the other hand, my house is paid for, so at least I'll always have a place to camp.

One guy at work retired last Friday and another will retire this Friday. I hate them both!:)

Steve

Eel,

You may want to change your stock investments! The S&P 500 is up over 60% in the last 5 years (over 330% since 2009). Nearly all of my investments are way up and they're all in simple ETFs like MGK, VHT, and VOO.

If we had all known to get in the stock market in 2009, we would all be great investors. That was the bottom of the mini crash. But the Trump economy has been good for the stock market.

Eel,

You may want to change your stock investments! The S&P 500 is up over 60% in the last 5 years (over 330% since 2009). Nearly all of my investments are way up and they're all in simple ETFs like MGK, VHT, and VOO.
I posted that back in 2005. Someone dug the old thread up. I'm still in the market today, at least until the election. I retired at 65 and I'm 72 now.

I retired in August after 40 years. The last year or so can stretch. Retirement is great so hold on.

1,100 days, man thats a LIFETIME. Just kidding, been there and done that a number of times first in the Military and then a job.
Been retired for 1,287 days or 3 years, 6 months and 10 days.

But don't believe the old story of "The Golden Years" that fool that coined that phrase should be shot. As you get older, more things are apt to change and your health will finally catch up to you. BUT enjoy it and live it to its fullest.

Brian
Brian, great to hear from you.

I call them the rusted tin years! pc

Congats to those of you who have retired and are making the most of your your extra time!

I am still 15-20 years away from retirement. I have been saving and investing since I was young so that I would be able to enjoy my "golden years." One thing that have I have realized as I have gotten older is that it is equally important to focus and work on maintaining your physical health. I have seen many healthy and active sportsmen in their 70's and an equal number that sportsmen that are stuck at home with poor health in their early 60's. Some things are beyond our control but we can stack the odds in our favor with exercise, healthy eating, keeping the extra weight off, etc. One other thought is that we need to enjoy the present because we never know what tomorrow holds!

Hawkeye

This thread caught me by surprise too, I was reading and got to were I posted in 2005. Wow, I am still working and will be 65 in February. Don't need to work, just what I do, but I have cut back. Travel a lot and hunt when I want. I am training someone to run the company and will leave early next year.

retirement ain't what its built up be..when hunting and fishing isn't on..it can get pretty boring especially with long cold Wyoming winters..make sure you have LOTS of different things to be interested in...I even went back to work part time...yes I know work is a 4 letter word:cool:...it is nice to getup or go to bed when ever you feel like it..

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom