Return to Kaibab 2.0

rockymtnhunter

First, thanks to all who offered kind words and thoughts. My visit to the Kaibab was good, but just not the same without Mari's companionship, smiles and laughter. I missed the joy of sharing my daily scouting adventures with her. But memories are sweet and carry me through each day.

Conditions were dry, as expected, but there is still a fair green-up despite the lack of moisture. Aspen was still leafing out - appears that green-up is delayed a bit this year. Did see good lupine growth below 7500 ft. I checked about 20 water sources - but most had10% or less of what is usually in them at this time of year. I was surprised that cattle had already been turned out- it looked like range condition wasn't anywhere close to being ready for livestock grazing, esp. given the lack of water. I would guess that by the end of June most water sources (except the few natural "lakes" and springs) will be dry. If the monsoon season is weak again this year, it could be dire for deer. The best hope if for a better-than-average monsoon starting in early July.

Looking at this year's Kaibab tag numbers compared to 35-40 years ago makes me concerned about the future - esp. given extended drought conditions, and invasion of elk & bison. Big bucks are still there, but getting fewer and fewer. During my scouting last weekend I covered a lot of high country where I used to routinely see 100-150 or more deer/day - but now I see few or none. I did recon the Castle Fire (2019) & Mangum Fire (2020) areas - still pretty charred, not much green-up and both fires burned a mosaic pattern, although last year's Mangum fire did severely scorch a large area, but generally at lower elevations - nothing like the Warm Fire in 2006.

Anyway, good luck in the draw.

20210529_113412.jpg
20210528_185210.jpg

I know AZGFD will haul water to trick tanks/guzzlers. Ranchers could haul water to constructed ponds - not sure what USFS would do - it put a lot of big blue poly tanks a few years ago for a wide-scale weed spraying program. And it's a long haul to get water. There is a spring & large water storage tank in Warm Springs Canyon near Ryan that was used to water haul roads when logging was big time activity years ago.

Where I hunted turkeys most were almost dry. It snowed while I was there. Melted by noon the next day. Hoping to draw a late season deer tag there. Have 21 points but I think I'm a little short

Sad for the whole State. Pray for Monsoons. I spent a week Turkey Hunting in unit 1 and saw tanks dry that haven't been in 30 years ...............BULL!

Tanks are dry everywhere in and around the Flagstaff region. Nothing but moon dust!

Reminds me of 2002.

I am up in 3C right now by Black Canyon lake. Just driving around up here so I’m not in the heat in the valley. Almost every tank here is dry, pretty bad.

So sorry to hear about your wife Dan, I hope you draw your tag this year. I will be rooting for you!
The Kaibab has a special place in my heart and I hope to go again someday.
Good luck Sir!

Dan, sorry to hear of the passing of your wife.
My friend has enough points and put in for the early 12AW hunt. Sounds like we might have a tough. And will be eating a lot of dust, unless some weather comes in.

Dan, I am so sorry to hear about the passing of your wife. It will be 5 years on june 30th since I lost me wife of 20 years and there is not one day that I still don't cry! My beautiful wife also hunted and scouted with me every year. My wife Kristin was only 47 years old when I lost her and I know I will be with her again one day. My prays are with you my friend..
Joe

Helped my uncle in his AZ early 3C elk hunt this last year and couldn’t believe how dry it was…..F&G and volunteers had brought water trucks in to fill the tanks off the road, but few and far between. Will be catastrophic this year if the same conditions pursue, which appears to be the case.

Helped my uncle in his AZ early 3C elk hunt this last year and couldn’t believe how dry it was…..F&G and volunteers had brought water trucks in to fill the tanks off the road, but few and far between. Will be catastrophic this year if the same conditions pursue, which appears to be the case.
3c got a decent soaking yesterday. Was kind of spotty but lots of puddles filled up in some places so hopefully was enough to put some in some tanks.

I’m up in 3C now near the gentry tower and none of the tanks got filled here and there are no puddles. We had less than a 10th of an inch of rain here.

Wife and I both got a Kaibab Tag this year, super excited. Been reading the posts, sounds like there is a BIG need for some good monsoon rains. We are in the valley and we have been getting a better rainy season than we did last year, so I'm hopeful for the high country.
We have been told that the area around Kendrick Park is a good area to scope for some bigger muley's. What is everyone's experience with that area?
TIA

Wife and I both got a Kaibab Tag this year, super excited. Been reading the posts, sounds like there is a BIG need for some good monsoon rains. We are in the valley and we have been getting a better rainy season than we did last year, so I'm hopeful for the high country.
We have been told that the area around Kendrick Park is a good area to scope for some bigger muley's. What is everyone's experience with that area?
TIA
To clarify:
Kendrick Peak is in Unit 7, south of the Grand Canyon, i.e. in the Kaibab National Forest. A "Kaibab tag" usually refers to one for Unit 12A or 12B, NORTH of the Grand Canyon on the North Kaibab Plateau, which is also in the Kaibab National Forest.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I expanded out all of the areas, and I see the area (National Forest) you are referring to.

So . . . we'll be hunting in Area 7, for sure in 7W . . . and hoping for a couple nice bucks to wander into our sites.

Thank you for the clarification. Yes, I expanded out all of the areas, and I see the area (National Forest) you are referring to.

So . . . we'll be hunting in Area 7, for sure in 7W . . . and hoping for a couple nice bucks to wander into our sites.
Bingo! I've hunted that unit for elk about 20 years ago. Saw lots of elk and quite a few pronghorns but only one mule deer doe. So I can't help much.

I was the lookout on Kendrick Peak in '75 & '76 (OK, ancient history). Saw lots of big bulls, but didn't see many bucks. Since the ol' days there's been some big fires on Kendrick, so maybe deer #'s are better than they used to be. There used to be a gas station in Kendrick Park, but in '76 2 employees there were murdered. I was pretty nervous in the lookout thinking the killer may be hiding on the mtn.

I was the lookout on Kendrick Peak in '75 & '76 (OK, ancient history). Saw lots of big bulls, but didn't see many bucks. Since the ol' days there's been some big fires on Kendrick, so maybe deer #'s are better than they used to be. There used to be a gas station in Kendrick Park, but in '76 2 employees there were murdered. I was pretty nervous in the lookout thinking the killer may be hiding on the mtn.
How did the lookout job work? Did you hike up there and stay for more than just the day. It's about 5 miles uphill isnt it.

Last edited:
My wife and I lived in the tower (14'x14') all summer, usually May 15 to Sept 15 at 10,418'. Two ways to get there: 1) 4 mile hike from trailhead; or 2) 10 min helicopter ride from Spring Valley. We did both - my wife hand carried a big birthday cake and 50 lbs of groceries up the trail. Helicopter brought food. water & propane. This was before wilderness designation so helicopter could land next to tower on peak - not allowed now - now supplies are brought by horse packtrain. In early 70s FS had small motorized tracked vehicle about 40 inches wide that went up & down the trail - you stood on back of it and operated track controls, moved at about walking speed. Those were wonderful summers - never got above 65 degrees! In those days I could go up the trail w/full pack in 90 min & come down in 45 min. Ahhhh to be young again!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom