Return to the Kaibab

rockymtnhunter

I’ll be on the Kaibab this weekend. Would be happy to rendezvous with fellow MM if you happen to be there. First scouting trip of the year – a much needed opportunity to take a breath since my wife’s passing. Will camp and visit the places she loved so much - w/8 BP I hope to draw an archery tag this year, likely will be my last opportunity to hunt the Kaibab. Good luck to all!

Best to you Dan. I proposed to my wife up on the Kaibab, so holds a special place for me too. I highly recommend Locust Point to sit on the edge and have a drink for the Mrs.

Enjoy there Dan. I'll be laying low here in the valley this weekend, but hope you get some quality time spent up there. Sounds like you know it like the back of your hand, so i'm sure you will!

A heads up. I was up there 2 weeks ago. Some of the roads were blocked off due to the fire from last year.

Some if the water holes had water in them. I'd say more than half of what we saw had water in them. Some areas were green. It's still nice to get away and be in the Kaibab. Seen a lot of deer, 2 bull elk and 1 turkey.

What are the chances to draw
12a west early with 6 resident points?

I see they reduced the quota from 450 to 375 this year.

Won't even get close to the bonus pass with 6 points so chances are just pure luck in the random draw.
I figured it’s pretty slim odds.
The AZGF statistics listed something like 8% last year. Is that the bonus pass chances or is that for the 1/2 pass. Does it include res and non res combined?
Just curious.
Thanks

I figured it’s pretty slim odds.
The AZGF statistics listed something like 8% last year. Is that the bonus pass chances or is that for the 1/2 pass. Does it include res and non res combined?
Just curious.
Thanks
6 points last year was 0% in the bonus pass and 11% in the 1-2 pass and all points combined was around 7%. The draw report is R & NR combined. MY BOL and I had 8 points last year and 12AW early was our second choice and we drew in the 1-2 pass. According to the draw report you needed 9 points in the bonus pass and that was 52% odds, with 75 less tags I would guess it will now take at least 10 maybe 11 points to get in the bonus pass this year.

6 points last year was 0% in the bonus pass and 11% in the 1-2 pass and all points combined was around 7%. The draw report is R & NR combined. MY BOL and I had 8 points last year and 12AW early was our second choice and we drew in the 1-2 pass. According to the draw report you needed 9 points in the bonus pass and that was 52% odds, with 75 less tags I would guess it will now take at least 10 maybe 11 points to get in the bonus pass this year.
Good info thanks.

BTW this is the 50th year I've been on the Kaibab - first bowhunted there in 1971 while working for USFS - and I'll raise my wife's favorite elixir, Diet Dr. Pepper!
Sorry for your loss, but enjoy the trip and remember the good times you had on the Kaibab.

My wife's favorite elixir is Diet Mt Dew!

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom