Rhodes Canyon Youth Oryx

ixsolracxi

Good day everyone!
First, I want to thank everyone in advance and best of luck on this year?s hunts! I am asking for peoples experience and advice on the Rhodes Canyon hunt. My daughter drew the youth hunt and I would like to make this hunt as memorable and hopefully successful for her. I have been reading through the old threads and archives, using google to find information and watching YouTube videos trying to get ideas and information about the hunt and Oryx in general. There are some videos of off range hunts and of course none on range due to the rules of cameras and video recorders. We have been discussing shot placement due to the location of the vitals several times. I have a map of the Rhodes hunt area I was able to go on one time from several years ago and have the BLM maps which I have outlined that hunt area and began to study. I am asking because of the inability to scout the actual hunt area before the hunt.

What is the best way of hunting these awesome animals?

Are the flats or foothills better?

Is it better around Red Canyon and the Oscura foothills or west toward Rhodes Canyon and the San Andres foothills?

I do plan on doing some driving and some spotting (prefer spotting because I don't road hunt).She is determined to get an Oryx and I am determined to do everything I can to help her be successful on the hunt. I've already spoke with one person that has provided some info. Any information you can provide would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again.
Carlos

You can find oryx in the flats and the hills. Hunting the flats can be tough to get close for a shot especially after they get some pressure. If you get into the areas with more hills your more likely to be able to get close . I would higly reccommend having her practice shooting off sticks as much as possible. They are tough animals so making sure she has a good rest is really important. It would also be a good idea to take gloves and knee pads because they have great eyes.

LAST EDITED ON May-17-18 AT 07:07AM (MST)[p]Oryx are all over the hunt area, one place isn't better than the other. You won't have any problem finding oryx on that hunt. Drive and you will see plenty . Glass every high spot.

Red Canyon has more slope and cover which makes it easier to stalk. Red cyn, is an hour drive from where you will start and you will drive past hundreds of oryx on your way so just hunt your way there. Practicing shooting standing off of sticks is great advice. Most of the time it's too flat with tall brush for bipods, but bring them as well

This is going to be an awesome hunt for her. These are low pressure hunts. The success rate last year was 97%. NMDGF and WSMR game warden really cater to these kids especially on Sunday. If your having any issues just let me know, I'll be out there.

WSMR will be sending you a lot of information throughout the summer, but the main thing you need to focus on now, is getting her comfortable with her rifle, eye relief etc. One key thing is practice get the target back in sight after a shot to prepare for a follow up shot. Most hunters in general shoot and want to look up to see if they hit and miss and opportunity at a second shot that is most often required with Oryx. As several have mentioned already, shooting sticks is a huge advantage so you want her practicing with them in the standing and kneeling positions. You want to get a good feel for what affective range she has so you can put her in the best position. The typical shot is 300 yards. Shot placement is critical as well.

The other thing is having patience. Due to the heat, after a couple of hours in the morning these animals bed down or seek shade so there is a big dead space between 11AM and 5PM. Don't get discouraged. During this period you want to spend more time glassing, really picking apart the terrain. This can be difficult with the heat beating down on you so bring a window mount for your scope or a chair to sit up against the shaded part of the truck. You won't be able to glass far because of the heat waves but do your best. If you can find them in the heat of the day they usually are going to stay there and it's a perfect time to get a stalk.

Make sure you stay hydrated, we have heat exhaustion cases every year on this hunt because that 500 yard stalk turns into a 5 mile track job.

We can talk for days about oryx... but right now shooting sticks, shot placement and hitting the shooting range..

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom