Rifle builds for 2022

JPickett

Long Time Member
well i cant believe i'm saying it but the politics are getting boring on here. lets talk about some cool stuff like what rifle are you building this year!

i'm dropping one off at the smith tomorrow

22 creedmoor
tikka T3 action (built a few now and there a great platforms)
Bartlein #13 sendero/varmint 6.5 twist cut to 18" finished
AICS bottom metal and mag
Mesa precision carbon alpine stock
night force NXS 5.5-22 illuminated
JK armament solvent trap (papered and drilled out post build)
all metal ceara coated probably tan or maybe a sage green

goal is 88-95 grain 22's screaming at coyotes!

what are you building?

The trouble with this forum, is the people that can talk rifles and custom builds are quiet here. They are busy commenting on something political, but rarely guns or rifles.

No rifle build for me this year. I already spent too much on gear and other gun items. Next year I will rework my 223 bolt action with a barrel and new optics. If I can find a straight pull savage 30-06, I will turn it into a Ackley Improved project, but it will have to be next year.

JP, sounds like lots of fun!
I did the same thing (similar cartridge) a couple years ago.
I put together a fast twist 22-250 AI so I could shoot 75-80 grain bullets pretty dang fast.
Two have been stellar! 75 ELD-M and 80 grain Nosler Custom Competition.

Believe it or not, I went that direction because I had 400 +/- rounds of brass that I got from a Browning shoot years ago.

I annealed the brass and fire-formed them in a sacrificial barrel which was chambered with the same reamer as my custom rifle. Worked like a champ and the rifle shoot bug holes and is wicked at distance.

Have fun with the new rifle!

Zeke

22-250 AI was the other one on the list and if 22 creed wasn't a thing is what id be building. there essentially the same round. your AI has a steeper shoulder and i think the creed handles pressure in the case a little better but the deciding factor for me was not fire forming brass. i can just neck down 6.5 or 6mm creed stuff.

what twist barrel and hows the throat holding up?

After deliberation (and recommendations from the barrel manufacturer) I went with an 8 twist.

I've shot the 80 grainers out to 900 yards and stabilization isn't an issue partly because of the greater speed that it produces over something like a 223 with a long bullet.

Throat is holding up just fine but I have enough rifles to shoot that I never let one get past warm.

I was in a bit of a different position than you with copious amounts of throw-away bullets, powder and primers AND I had a factory junk barrel which was chambered and sacrificed to fire form. ...and, of course, I already had the new once fired brass.

We had tons of fun fire forming the brass. Lots of off-hand practice! Dirt clods took it hard for 3-4 weekends of forming. haha

Nowadays, if I didn't have all the above stuff, I would most certainly go with the 22 Creedmoor. You'll have a blast with that thing!

Zeke

I've had Zeke help me with 3 rifle builds in the past 4 years or so and I love them all and they all shoot amazing groups.
My first was a 6.5 man bun that I used on my Stone Sheep hunt. I'd love to build a 22 Creed as well, but that may be down the road a bit.
Then we built a 28 Nosler for my LE elk hunt and I was finally able to draw the tag and use it last fall. It's a dream hunting rig with 177g Hammer Hunters at 3100 fps.
The third is a 6.5x284 which also likes to spit out 124g Hammer Hunters at 3150 fps, but I have yet to be able to use it on anything.

One build is just not enough. Kinda like eating potato chips!

Not a new build but fitting a rifle for my wife. She's a small person and the standard rifle just doesn't do it for her. Got a Remington model 7 in 260 Remington. Nothing fancy to be done. Just trigger, bedding, pillars, trim the stock, new pad, stuff like that or complete stock swap. She will make that determination. Her regular rifle is a braked 270 win on a savage 111 about 9 pounds loaded so not to concerned about recoil but this being a small person build it might require a brake do to less overall weight. As it sit with scope, it weighs right at 7# and is 39 inch overall length. So there is room for a brake. See how tough she is...

Not a "build", but just picked up a Ruger 'Merican Predator in .308.
Got to get a scope on it, figure out a load and get her sighted in.
Life has been oppressive lately, hoping to bust out this slump this fall.

I just picked up my first real custom build that I have done. It's a weatherby mark v in 7mm wby. Benchmark #5 spiral fluted 9 twist at 22 inches so I can use a suppressor without being too long. Mounted in a AG composites chalk branch stock and cerakoted midnight bronze. It's a good looking gun. Can't wait to do some load development and see what I have got

That sounds like a sweet rifle. Let’s see that midnight bronze!

I landed on gen 2 flat dark earth for my ceracoat color. It’s a coyote gun so I don’t want any flashing

Zeke, let me know if you’re off loading any of the copious amounts of primers. Think I’m going to have to give my pinky finger for a brick of fed 215’s . Those things are no where right now

When I was in my first year of college, I managed to save money for an M70 sporter in .300Win. Thin barrel but it was very accurate. I bedded it in 85 and put a new trigger. I used it on everything from bear to elk to prairie dogs.

One day at a gun show in the mid 90s, I found a new barrel for about $50 and bought it. Then I bought another .300 and left my winnie to chill in the safe.

The first post reminded me of that older gun. Dunno what I would do with it, but I wouldn't mind some suggestions for something unusual....but, no man bun gun.

I just picked up my first real custom build that I have done. It's a weatherby mark v in 7mm wby. Benchmark #5 spiral fluted 9 twist at 22 inches so I can use a suppressor without being too long. Mounted in a AG composites chalk branch stock and cerakoted midnight bronze. It's a good looking gun. Can't wait to do some load development and see what I have got
You’ve “got” a 280 Remington. ????

Last edited:
Just a regular 22-250 economy build with a 9 twist Lilja barrel to shoot 73 grain eldms with a SS 3-15 scope.. Zeke greatly helped with the input as always. Antelope and turkeys beware of the girls...lol!!!

I have a left hand 700 CDL in 30-06 that never gets used that I want to just use the action for as much as it pains me, the rifle is in almost new condition. I just got a Trigger Tech special for it on black Friday sale last year. Looking at putting a new barrel in 280 AI or 6.5 Weatherby rpm and put a Mcmillan Hunters Edge on it then cerakote it. I have three 30-06s so I guess chopping one up is not the end of the world. Or I might just put the new trigger on it and call it a day, need to see how my season will look this year as far as what tags I draw, gas is going to be super $$ this fall.

No new builds for me but picked up a like-new 1959 Model 70 in 300 H&H that I am going to play with. We'll see if I can get a load worked up for it. It still has the original Redfield 2-7X with FINE DUPLEX sticker on the tube. Pretty cool to have a 1950's vintage scope in great shape but I don't think I will utilize it as the optics are terrible compared to what I am used to.------SS
IMG_0713.JPG

No new builds for me but picked up a like-new 1959 Model 70 in 300 H&H that I am going to play with. We'll see if I can get a load worked up for it. It still has the original Redfield 2-7X with FINE DUPLEX sticker on the tube. Pretty cool to have a 1950's vintage scope in great shape but I don't think I will utilize it as the optics are terrible compared to what I am used to.------SS
View attachment 70285
That is one fine rifle right there. Always wanted an H&H.

View attachment 70285
That's a flash from the past, scope and all. I haven't seen a front sight on a rifle for ages and back int he day, those Redfield's used to be the cat's meow!

So not a build in my mind but I have components to assemble my second 5.56 it’s nearly impossible to find but soon I would like an ar 10 with .243 but the upper is super hard to find currently.

So not a build in my mind but I have components to assemble my second 5.56 it’s nearly impossible to find but soon I would like an ar 10 with .243 but the upper is super hard to find currently.

Good job calling it an assembly rather than a build. I remember one time long ago I was talking to a guy at the range and he had a few ar rifles. He said he built them. I was real interested. I asked him where he bought the equipment because I was genuinely curious about starting up and the costs and where to buy items. When I asked about the equipment he has weather it be a lathe, milling or cnc machines, he said he just buys the parts. I was under the impression there was more to it. I instantly thought of the birdhouse kits at Home Depot where all of the parts are pre-cut and ready for assembly for the kids, even pre drilled holes to locate the nails so there won’t be a whole lot of thinking required. Not to bash people for putting them together, because I’m getting into that too and recently bought some components for one complete rifle and a stripped lower for the future, but call it like it is. It’s an assembly.

I just had a 300 PRC built. Its got a Bartlein 1 in 8 on a Defiance action, Mesa Presision stock with a Trigger Tec trigger. I got it a little too light tho and the 3 port brake isn't quite enough tho, going to have to figure out something else there.

How you liking that mesa stock? I’ve always been a McMillan guy but my buddy bought one snd after I handled it I took a chance for this build. Like the feel but yet to shoot it obviously. Also like the price. Think i paid 650 or something for it. So less then an A3

I really like it so far, I like the fatter more vertical grip than my other rifles have. I have no complaints with it at all.

I have all my parts at my gunsmith right now for a 6.5x47 Lapua build.

Defiance anTi Action w/Nitride Coating
McMillan Edge Stock
Bartlein 2B Diamond Fluted in 7.5 twist
Triggertech Special Trigger
Hawkins Oberndorf Bottom Metal

Gonna top it off with a Swarovski Z5 3.5-18×44 w/BRH reticle in Talley Ultralights. It should be a nice lightweight packing rifle.

Got an update on my 2022 project rifle from post #18 in this thread. I took the rifle apart and cleaned it thoroughly, then reinstalled the stock torquing the main action screws to 35 inch pounds and the middle and barrel screws to 10 inch pounds. The original Redfield scope and rings were replaced with a set of Talley rings and a modern Leupold scope. I worked up some handloads with 175 Barnes LRX bullets using a few different powders. Got out to the range this morning to sight in and and do some target work. The first group was with some 1960's Winchester factory silvertips that grouped just under an inch. I was pleasantly surprised to find that all the handloads were sub-MOA with the best being close to 1/2 MOA. Pretty good for a 63 year-old factory rifle. Next step will be to chronograph and work up some drop charts so I can have some fun banging steel at the range this summer. Can't wait to take this rifle hunting in the fall. -----SS

IMG_0736.JPG

IMG_0738.PNG

Sometime in October my build should be ready:
6.5-284 custom throated for Berger 156
HCA 27" barrel 1/7.75 twist
Defiance Ruckus action with nitride bolt but cerakote elsewhere
Ag Composites alpine hunter
Hawkins bottom metal
Bix n Andy tac sport pro
Scope TBD, most likely a ZC 4-20

After that I'm going to have Alex Wheeler build me a 300NMI for shooting the 230 Bergers....I can't wait to start this one on a BAT or Terminous action!

Just a regular 22-250 economy build with a 9 twist Lilja barrel to shoot 73 grain eldms with a SS 3-15 scope.. Zeke greatly helped with the input as always. Antelope and turkeys beware of the girls...lol!!!
Well it's home just have to work up a load. Only change was I kept the 2.5x20 NX8 for it from a rifle I sold instead of the 3-15. Big shout out to Robinson Precision Rifles of Syracuse UT for putting this together for me.

20220419_172348.jpg

20220419_172308.jpg

Last edited:
It is and I freakin love it. Easiest load development I’ve ever done. The caliber just wants to shoot. Here’s what the app says on the group. Don’t think I can get much better. We’ll see what it does out to 600 this weekend

90D3B9A2-3D8E-4EF8-B432-53ADEE956AB1.jpeg

I'll give you $650 for it JP....over course that includes the discount for you keeping the muffler......I can't have that.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom