Rifle Caliber

BuckWild11

LAST EDITED ON Sep-18-19 AT 06:13PM (MST)[p]I'm looking to get myself a new rifle and trying to decide what caliber I should get. I am wanting something that will shoot between 600 and 800 yards and can be used for both deer and elk. Also, a caliber that bullets are easy to come by. I'd like to see what everyone's opinions are to help me decide. Thanks!

not again....lol

.308 caliber

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

439.gif

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

>Easy to get, deadly at 800
>yds.
>
>7mm Rem Mag.

lol.....so that would be .284 caliber???

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

You want to shoot 800 yards but don't know enough about firearms to make a choice on your own? Do you really want to take advice online from people you have never met and have no clue who they are or how much they in fact know about firearms and ballistics?

I'm not trying to be rude by asking those questions but my advice would be to learn as much as you can so you can make your own informed decision. Do you or will you be reloading? Does $60-$80 for a box of 20 rounds matter to you or would you rather be shooting a more common caliber you can buy for $20-$30 a box. Get some books on ballistics and firearms even if you need to check them out from the library.

Many hunters are not gun guys or even well versed in firearms, vice-versa there are many gun guys who are not hunters.

Personally if I had to recommend a rifle-chambering to someone just starting to get serious about shooting, I would tell them to stay away from any newer or proprietary cartridge. Many of them fade away after a few years making it harder to source brass and a proprietary cartridge will always cost more for ammo.

Good Luck in your quest.

Tell you what, I've had the 7mm?s (280ai, 7mag, 28 nos) you can't go wrong with any .284 cal. They are great at distance, especially with today?s bullets. But I bought a 6.5 prc this year and I think it's my favorite rifle yet. Easily pushing a 140 eld at 3,000 Fps, accuracy is incredible 1/4 moa regularly. Recoil is very tame, It's very lightweight and packable. Doesn?t need a long barrel to get awesome performance 24? seems just right. I Really like the round, Just my 2 cents.

Sorry everybody, but the 300 weatherby kick all other calibers azzs. Just check the ballistics. Don?t screw around just buy the best.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know a ton about firearms like some people do. Which is one of my reasonings for asking on here to get other people's opinions and try to educate myself with what others have experienced. However, I've been around firearms enough to have my opinion about them.

I could really careless to shoot out to 800 yards or over that. It would just be nice to have a gun that is capable of shooting that far and be confident knowing you could if ever need be. The highest caliber of gun I own right now is a .270 which I love, but would never think about shooting over 500 yards with it. Just trying to find another caliber to add to the arsenal.

Thank you for the advice you have given, much appreciated.

>You want to shoot 800 yards
>but don't know enough about
>firearms to make a choice
>on your own? Do you
>really want to take advice
>online from people you have
>never met and have no
>clue who they are or
>how much they in fact
>know about firearms and ballistics?
>
>
>I'm not trying to be rude
>by asking those questions but
>my advice would be to
>learn as much as you
>can so you can make
>your own informed decision. Do
>you or will you be
>reloading? Does $60-$80 for a
>box of 20 rounds matter
>to you or would you
>rather be shooting a more
>common caliber you can buy
>for $20-$30 a box. Get
>some books on ballistics and
>firearms even if you need
>to check them out from
>the library.
>
>Many hunters are not gun guys
>or even well versed in
>firearms, vice-versa there are many
>gun guys who are not
>hunters.
>
>Personally if I had to recommend
>a rifle-chambering to someone just
>starting to get serious about
>shooting, I would tell them
>to stay away from any
>newer or proprietary cartridge. Many
>of them fade away after
>a few years making it
>harder to source brass and
>a proprietary cartridge will always
>cost more for ammo.
>
>Good Luck in your quest.

I'll be the first to admit I don't know a ton about firearms like some people do. Which is one of my reasonings for asking on here to get other people's opinions and try to educate myself with what others have experienced. However, I've been around firearms enough to have my opinion about them.

I could really careless to shoot out to 800 yards or over that. It would just be nice to have a gun that is capable of shooting that far and be confident knowing you could if ever need be. The highest caliber of gun I own right now is a .270 which I love, but would never think about shooting over 500 yards with it. Just trying to find another caliber to add to the arsenal.

Thank you for the advice you have given, much appreciated.

300 RUM or 300 Win or 300 Weatherby would be my first suggestions.

I also really like .338 Win with a 225 grain bullet.

You can't kill ?em too dead.

Dax

308/30cal..

Growing up, I was around a lot of people I would call true gun guys, and many I wouldn't call gun guys. The real gun people could talk for 3 hours non stop about guns, reloading, shooting etc. The non gun guys could only keep up with half of what you're talking about. That's ok with me. Why should they be as into guns as me? One thing I noticed with the gun guys, is the advice they gave the others. That advice is to have at least the following guns-

Rim fire- Semi auto pistol and a Nice bolt action rifle.

Shotgun

Centerfire- Varmint caliber and Large or magnum caliber. Most call for a 30 or .308 caliber.

Can?t beat a 7mm or 300 win as a do it all gun that's cost effective to shoot. I would give the the edge to the 7mm personally. The 7mm with a 175eldx, 180eldm or Berger 180vld actually has less wind deflection than a 30 with a 200 plus grainer with similar if not better impact velocities along less recoil.

Coloradoboy

>Sorry everybody, but the 300 weatherby
>kick all other calibers azzs.
>Just check the ballistics. Don?t
>screw around just buy the
>best.

Not really. 300 Roy?s are incredibly expensive to shoot when it comes to buying factory ammo or reloading components and if you understand ballistics you're not gaining that much over its cousin the 300 win. If a guy wants to run a big bore 30; calibers like the 300 RUM, 300 Norma, 30 nosler, 300 PRC are much better offerings.

Coloradoboy

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-19 AT 08:08AM (MST)[p]I hear ya Homer! I hear ya.

As far as cartridge, a 7mm Rem Mag is a solid option. I would strongly suggest not taking an 800 yard shot any time soon. The cartridge is very capable, but seems like there may be a lot of work to be done by the shooter before that is a real possibility.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-19 AT 12:15PM (MST)[p]+1 to what Cahunter805 said:

"300Win, 7mm Rem mag, 300RUM all are very common and a good choice."

>LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-19
>AT 12:15?PM (MST)

>
>+1 to what Cahunter805 said:
>
>"300Win, 7mm Rem mag, 300RUM all
>are very common and a
>good choice."
I have all those plus the 300 wsm, but none of those shoot as well as my HS , quality in any of those cartridges will shoot fine .

"lol.....so that would be .284 caliber???"

"gun nomenclature is important....or you sound like Lawrence O'Donnell....."

Let me help you out Homer, the OP stated:

"I'm looking to get myself a new rifle and trying to decide what caliber I should get..."

Anyone who knows anything about firearms, calibers, and nomenclature fully understands what the thread is about.

I can be a smartass too, but sometimes its best to keep YOUR yap shut...

>"lol.....so that would be .284 caliber???"
>
>
>"gun nomenclature is important....or you sound
>like Lawrence O'Donnell....."
>
>Let me help you out Homer,
>the OP stated:
>
>"I'm looking to get myself a
>new rifle and trying to
>decide what caliber I should
>get..."
>
>Anyone who knows anything about firearms,
>calibers, and nomenclature fully understands
>what the thread is about.
>
>
>I can be a smartass too,
>but sometimes its best to
>keep YOUR yap shut...

?

Most gun nuts wait years for the opportunity of correcting a fellow hunter's use of the words "caliber" and "cartridge".
Maybe he really was interested in "caliber".

I love these threads!
They're filled with humor, truths, half-truths, fiction, opinion and mostly by guys who you don't know.

We all beat our own drum from time to time but these threads take the cake.

If you can handle one, a .308 caliber in a RUM case is about as good as it gets. Then there's the .284 caliber in mag variants like the 28 Nosler that will do a great job on elk at range too.

97.3% of the time, the weak link is the shooter.

There's my opinion,
Zeke

#livelikezac

+1 264winmag

I have a brother who has been fixing 1980s Porsche's, Audi?s, Mercedes, ect since he was 14 years old. Rich guys have him prep their old school German cars for the gumball rally and fly him in their private helicopters to fix them mid-race if needed. If he were to critique me over car lingo similar to ?caliber? and ?cartridge? he would be a complete bleep-hole.

There?s a lot of dudes who drive Ferrari?s who don't know how to change the wiper blades on the car they drive. That doesn't mean they can't own and drive the car.

If a guy asks, then educate him, that's all. No reason to laugh and rub his nose in it.

I think the .280ai would be the cats meow for a do all, but I can't justify leaving the 7mag in the safe just for one extra round in the box magazine. ESP when the ammo is petty much everywhere.

"That's a special feeling, Lloyd!?

www.s2outdoor.com
www.tojagrid.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY8iBAgry-KrH49Tua4ftbA

So far, here's the tally:

1 vote: 280, 284, 30 Nosler, 300 PRC, 338, 264 Wby Mag.
2 votes: 28 Nos, 270, 6.5 PRC, 300 WSM.
3 votes: 308
7 votes: 7mm Mag, 300 WM (includes my vote!)
8 votes: 300 RUM
0 votes: 30-06 (just had to throw that in there!)

Based on this, the 7mm, 300 WM, and 300 RUM are very popular for mule deer and elk. True, a lot of elk are taken with other (oh wait, should I say caliber? or cartridge? :D - OK I'll just say guns!) guns. But when you compare the ballistics of those to many of the others, they are very similar. Sure, as far as energy, there is a big difference in the 308 at the bottom and the 300 RUM at the top, but there are lots of steps in between.

Really it comes down to personal preference, specifically, how much are you willing to pay for ammo? what kind of bullet selection do you have? Factory ammo or reload? how much recoil can you handle? How much are you going to practice at 800 yards? After about 350 yards, bullet drop is exponential. If you're estimating 50 yards off at 200, likely no big deal. But between 750 and 800? You better know your range and have some good ballistics info and knowledge. For me, 400 yards is tops. Won't shoot beyond that.

20 years ago, I was in your situation - looking for an all-around gun for eastern whitetails, as well as 400 yard shots on antelope, mule deer, and occasionally elk. I went with the 7mm Mag. It has served me well. In hindsight, I wish I would have gone with the 300 WM (I inherited one since then.) for my occasional elk hunt, and then picked up something smaller like a 270 for the eastern whitetails or antelope.

So, my advice, go to the range with friends. Shoot different guns and determine your recoil tolerance. The 300 ups (WM, RUM, Wby Mag, etc) are going to pack a recoil punch if you're not used to it. The 270', 7mm, 284's are going to be less. I'm not familiar with the Nosler and PRC's.

Forgot to mention, there are quite a few responses from some very successful hunters on here. If you stick around long enough, you'll see who they are. Not calling any names because then someone will get ticked off that I didn't name them and they've killed 28 elk out to 1000 yards and someone I named has only killed 16! :)

This was longer than expected, but hope it helps.

A 30 caliber would do fine for what you are asking. If you aren't bothered by recoil. A 300 rum would work nicely. Put a muzzle break on it and a good recoil pad and you should be fine. Don?t go with a super lite rifle and that would also help.

Just buy a .300WM and you can change bullets to hunt any animal in North America.

And if you get somewhere and run out of ammo, or your luggage gets lost, you can easily replace it just about anywhere.

Grizzly

264 Winchester Magnum , hits like the hammer of Thor ! It was ?cool? long before they came up with the 6.5 ?slouchmoor? , fast , flat , and accurate ! It's been getting it done since the 60?s and will continue to do so long after we are all gone ! The ballistic coefficients of the 6.5 mm bullets are some of the best in the books. You can be the boring guy carrying your standard 300 , 06 , 270 , 308 , 7 mag , or you can own the real deal , the 264 !!!! Do I sound like a Winchester Promoter yet lol ????

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom