Rifle cleaning?

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
I always had concerns about cleaning my rifle too much. I've read on various posts that people clean either once after the shooting season is over for that year or only when they see there rifle groups expanding. I have always cleaned after each time I have shot. I have a new rifle that I want to reload for and wonder if I should clean after each 5 shot group or after I have shot my 4 sets of 5 or not clean until my season is over?

Everyone is different. Just comes donwn to personal opinion. I did a lot of research when I first got into reloading and found that everyone has their own sequence that works for them.
I typically on a new barrel shoot 1 shot clean repeat x4, shoot 3 shots clean x2. Shoot 5 shots clean x2. Once I have 20 shots down the tube I shoot till I see accuracy start to open up or if I’ve been out in the hills in the weather or a dusty area, etc. then I clean.
But then again that’s just my way. But it seems to work for me.

What I notice is there’s all kinds of options out there, so many that it’s hard to figure out what the right thing to do is. When I’m looking for an answer, I try to see what the best ones have to say. It’s all over the place even with them. One of the best shooters I like to listen to is named Eric Cortina. He does an abrasive cleaning to his barrel, but not regularly. He also says there’s no need to break in a barrel and I’ve heard other smart ones say that it is. I know people that clean after each session and I don’t have a problem with that. A lot of those will go months without shooting, so there’s not a lot of volume. I keep track of how much shooting I’m doing to how much cleaning I do. That usually means about 150 rounds or 3 plastic cases of cartridges and I’m cleaning. For me that is about once a month for the lightweights, Varminters to 06, and about once a year for the magnums. When I clean, I make sure I’m not too aggressive. Never use a brass brush and instead use a nylon. Rimfires and pistols can get real dirty so it’s not unusual for me to clean after every session. For rimfire, that’s about 100 rounds per trip, pistols 2-3 times a year.

For a new barrel, I will clean like you mentioned. After each 5 shot group or sooner, at least in the beginning for the first 40 or 50 rounds. I don’t know if it works, but at least it’s over quick. Just make sure you’re not getting the barrel too hot and it should be fine.

Congrats on the new rifle.
If your rifle is a new barrel, most everyone I know (that I trust) suggest you break it in, by shooting and cleaning, as has been described.
I think it's also even more important to make sure you are cleaning in a vice with a bore guide, etc. Improper cleaning can do more damage than good.
I usually shoot up to 30 rounds before I clean and I only do that if I'm not planning to shoot that rifle again for a while. I always clean if I'm putting a rifle away for several months.
If I am changing bullet brands in my loads, I always clean before I introduce a different bullet to my rifle.
That's what I do.
Have fun with your new toy!

My cleaning routine is pretty much the same as littlebighorn's, minus the new barrel part. For new rifles, I take it to the range, fire off 20-30 rounds then clean it when I get home. After that, it's load development time.

I used to do the elaborate cleaning routine for new barrels but it translated to nothing meaningful downrange. But to be fair, all of my rifles have been off-the-shelf models and I don't compete in any shooting matches.

I'm definitely a proponent of using a bore guide and being extra careful not to damage/ding/scratch the crown.

100 guys means 100 ways. Sighting in a new rifle and cleaning every couple shots i dont worry about. A cold shooter will have more mistakes than a slightly dirty barrel, especially on a new rifle being excited or uncomfortable will be my main mistakes for a bullet not hitting the mark.Copper bullets will definitely need more attention for a gun cleaning.

I personally go out and shoot my rounds which involve 10 to 20 rounds on high caliber rifles. when i get home i do a good cleaning till patches come out clean. Of course the bolt and all other parts and cracks i can get to. Then oil the necessary parts.

This discussion can turn into which is better ford,dodge or chevy. Do what you think is best for you. As I said i shoot and made it habit to clean when i get home.

Any time i get off the mountain with a gun in the scabbord i also clean. The natural elements from horses kicking up dust, going through pine trees it seems to find a way to the rifle. Since i switched to a trail max scabbard that pretty much stopped all the natural elements getting to the rifle

Last edited:
On a brand new barrel my personal preference is shoot and clean after each 3-5 round groups until about 10-12 rounds down the barrel. Then start a basic load development ladder/OCW test. Find your node and load up 20-40 rounds and test it at distance/practice with your rifle. Most barrels settle in at about 80-100 rounds. Once settled I fine tune powder and seating depth.
Clean your barrel once accuracy starts to fall off. Depending on the cartridge and powder this can be hundreds of rounds.
If hunting in rain/snow I will run a patch or 2 through the barrel once home or the hunt is over.

Every barrel is different. Some shoot lights out when they're dirty as hell, others need cleaned every 20 rounds. Just need to listen to your rifle, figure out a schedule for each one.

I always had concerns about cleaning my rifle too much. I've read on various posts that people clean either once after the shooting season is over for that year or only when they see there rifle groups expanding. I have always cleaned after each time I have shot. I have a new rifle that I want to reload for and wonder if I should clean after each 5 shot group or after I have shot my 4 sets of 5 or not clean until my season is over?
I clean my hunting rifles right before I sight them in yearly. Once sighted in I leave them as is. I clean them again after my last hunt of the year.

Like others have said, a lot depends on your particular rifle and you need to pay attention to what it needs. Some rifles I clean more often than others and it seems to me the more overbore cartridges need a little more consistent attention.

Like @257Tony said, listen to your rifle.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom