Rifle shopping

COLOelkman

Very Active Member
Well I think I'm looking for a new rifle as 2 or my normal ones are not shooting well enough and several gunsmiths I've heard from are way backed up. I don't rifle hunt a lot but have a good late deer tag (Colo. 20 pts in mid-November) this year and want something accurate at least out to 500 yds. Much further and I'm sure I'd just try to get closer. From my very limited experience and talking with a couple others, I've been looking at Tikka 3x, and Browning Hells Canyon likely in 7mm RM, 300 WM or 300 WSM. I have a good new scope (Leupold VX5) so just looking for a decent gun but probably don't want to go custom because I mostly bow/muzzy hunt. In the Denver Area and most bigger stores are very similar in price between $800-$1200 so that's kind of the ballpark I'm thinking. Any suggestions are appreciated as I said I've just not been into rifles much so inexperienced.

I picked up a used Fierce Fury in 300 Winny for around $1400 and it's a great rifle. It shoot 90%+ of factory ammo 1 1/2" @ 100 or better. Hand loading has been easy and I can get sub MOA with quite a few different bullets. Good trigger, lightweight and muzzle brake is effective.

Both are good rifles, very accurate. I'd consider them about equal in quality, and accuracy.
Pick the one that feels the best to you, or has the caliber you want.

Well I think I'm looking for a new rifle as 2 or my normal ones are not shooting well enough and several gunsmiths I've heard from are way backed up. I don't rifle hunt a lot but have a good late deer tag (Colo. 20 pts in mid-November) this year and want something accurate at least out to 500 yds. Much further and I'm sure I'd just try to get closer. From my very limited experience and talking with a couple others, I've been looking at Tikka 3x, and Browning Hells Canyon likely in 7mm RM, 300 WM or 300 WSM. I have a good new scope (Leupold VX5) so just looking for a decent gun but probably don't want to go custom because I mostly bow/muzzy hunt. In the Denver Area and most bigger stores are very similar in price between $800-$1200 so that's kind of the ballpark I'm thinking. Any suggestions are appreciated as I said I've just not been into rifles much so inexperienced.
If I was right handed & in the market for a 300 Win Mag, my search would be over! I have owned several Remington 700 BDL's over the years and never had a problem with any of them. The new ones being produced today can be hit & miss ( pun intended!)
Check this out on Gunbroker!

So far the ones I've seen are not the caliber I was interested in but I did handle a Tikka and the Browning and both felt fine to me. I did like the Browning a bit better but I'll hafta check out the stores in Denver area.

If I were in the market for a new production rifle I would be checking the 2020 Waypoint by Springfield Armory
They're are a nice looking gun, but caliber options are lacking. I personally wouldn't buy one because I don't like detachable magazines. I prefer BDL magazines.

Good job picking a good one. I just had delivered the Nosler RDF 185 grain I plan on using in my 280 AI. Those seem like they would be great in the 7mm mag.

Congrats on the new gun, 7mm Rem Mag is one of my favorite cartridges

I didn’t realize the waypoint rifles were only available in a few cartridges, bummer

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom