Rings & Bases

legacy

Very Active Member
I am going to scope a 700 SPS in a .300 Win Mag. What are the advantages or disadvantages of standard bases VS dual-dovetail bases? I'm pretty set on Leupold 2-piece bases. Any suggestions or thoughts?

Well the standard bases are the most widely used and are probably fine for most applications but they are a weaker design compared to the dual dovetail.

The dual dovetail is not as good on factory production guns, the holes are not aligned perfect and can put stress on the scope tube. Most people use the standard bases and rings because they have the rear adjustment so they can be lined up perfectly if/when done right. Normally custom actions are better suited for dual dovetail setups.

Legacy, I've got a standard Leupold base for an SPS if you want to give that a try. E-mail me if your interested.

>Legacy, I've got a standard Leupold
>base for an SPS if
>you want to give that
>a try. E-mail me if
>your interested.

Is it a matte finish?

Hey Legacy I have a 2 piece base and medium hight dual dovetail rings in matte finish if your interested. This is for a remington model 700. If you want it let me know as its collecting dust. No charge. Let me know.
Chuck

>Hey Legacy I have a 2
>piece base and medium hight
>dual dovetail rings in matte
>finish if your interested.
>This is for a remington
>model 700. If you
>want it let me know
>as its collecting dust.
>No charge. Let me
>know.
>Chuck

Yeah, I'd be interested. Where are you at?

I am in Boise Idaho. Shoot me your address in a PM and will get them in the mail on monday, it will be nice if someone can use them.

>I am in Boise Idaho.
>Shoot me your address
>in a PM and will
>get them in the mail
>on monday, it will be
>nice if someone can use
>them.

PM sent!

dual dovetail bases will work fine but as previously said they need to be trued. A 1 inch lapping rod, lapping compound and a little elbow grease will do the trick.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom