Rio Grande Management hunt opportunity

COLOelkman

Very Active Member
Just got a call from G&F and said I was selected for a management hunt for elk. I don't know a thing about these but I must have signed up to be on the list. It's either sex and requires a limited weapon (bow, shotgun, muzzy). They said this is only the 2nd year for these hunts which are in areas where wildlife is impacting ranch properties. Last year they had a 50% success rate (not sure if that was for the whole season or this particular timeframe). The map shows it's a relatively narrow area along the Rio Grand River and also includes some private properties. Unfortunately I cannot make the current hunt dates due to other conflicts but they said I'm fairly high on the list and might be called again as they run into Feb.
So, has anyone ever hunted this area before and what's your thoughts/advice on doing it if I should be called again?

That's the fifth choice on the application.

I remember a long time ago they told you what your ranking was after the initial draw. You could go online and see what number they were up to for calling hunters.

That's weird they said they might call you again because I figured you would go to the back of the line after you didn't accept the hunt.

They told me that since I had a high number, it's likely I could get called again. So I'm not sure exactly how their process works. Keeping my fingers crossed as I was bummed that the dates weren't going to work this time.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-07-19 AT 07:20PM (MST)[p]What area along the Rio Grande is allowed on this hunt? Could be a fun hunt.

No chance you will be called again. That list is long and I'm sure they will not go threw everyone and come back to you.

>They told me that since I
>had a high number, it's
>likely I could get called
>again. So I'm not
>sure exactly how their process
>works. Keeping my fingers
>crossed as I was bummed
>that the dates weren't going
>to work this time.

I didn't get called today so I must not be next in line. :)

Maybe you'll get lucky and get another chance.

MRGCD lands accessible for the elk hunt are on the west side of the Rio Grande and riverside drain
beginning south of the railroad crossing over the Rio Grande in Belen, New Mexico to the northern boundary of
Bosque del Apache National Wildlife refuge (south of Highway 380 in San Antonio)

That is a good hunt.... have seen some pics of massive bulls in there. I think NMDGF is trying to get rid of the Elk in there.
Jack

They are trying to reduce the herd due to crop damage, thus it's a mgmt hunt.
Per the rules:
"Hunting on the Bernardo and La Joya Wildlife Management Areas (WMA) is restricted to New Mexico
residents only."
Can't believe the timeframe didn't work for me as I'm usually pretty free but had another hunt (will likely be more of just hiking) here that I've committed to with friends that I can't back out of.

I have heard really good things about this hunt and as stated above there are some great bulls running around that herd currently. I know Tinnin Hunt club hunts that area and gets some nice bulls out of there.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom