RIP OW

wetmule

Very Active Member
Seems Homer & a few of us got the bad news about the same time.
A good man and a good friend that I've known a long time. He was a very positive influence on me early on and always quick and willing to lend a hand and share his knowledge. You'll be missed. RIP Tony

From Tony's family earlier today

IMG_9245.jpg

A good man and a good friend that I've known a long time. He was a very positive influence on me early on and always quick and willing to lend a hand and share his knowledge. You'll be missed. RIP Tony

View attachment 77689
Thanks for letting all of us know WM. Wish I could have met him in person. He was just as passionate about his back east highschool sports as he was about out west hunting. I will miss his posts and wish his wife and family the best.

DANG IT!

Gonna Miss ODW!

Rest In Peace My Friend!

From What I Read & Gathered Over The Years,He Lived Life To The Fullest & Done alot Of FUN Things in His Life!
I think a lot of the younger guys don’t realize how much tougher it was to do things back in the 50s, 60s & 70s. He had tons of great photos most probably taken with old film cameras. He probably did most everything he every wanted too!! One of my favorite memories of his work was the article about the Stripe. RIP ODW!!

R.i.P. Tony… Keep writing in the Heavenly Hunting grounds. crazy how many have passed over the decades on this site. Everyday on the mountain is a good day and shouldn’t be taken for granted. Condolences to his family.

Really sorry to hear this. I enjoyed his posts and he had a ton of knowledge. Gonna miss his pictures and stories. Prayers to his family, may he R.I.P.

R.I.P. OW. I didnt know him except through here on MM. I will miss his pictures, opinions and GIFs-seems like he always had a good one to add! P
He will be missed. Prayers for his family....

RIP He seemed like a good guy and was well known. Thanks to him and others unknown and known we have a pretty awesome history.

I’m sad but not surprised to hear. He was honest and open with his health struggles lately but man, he was sharp and interesting and engaged in good conversations with most of us til his last days. RIP Tony. Impossible to replace you and other old school guys willing to share your time and experience with us lesser folk. Thanks.

Tough news for sure. I really enjoyed his posts and pics. Like many others before him, he will be greatly missed!

Rest in peace my friend!

RIP Tony. We are all going to miss you around here but you are in a much better place roaming the happy hunting grounds in the sky! My condolences to the family…

Horniac

Didn't know the guy but based off his post he seemed like a good man. Condolences to his family

Sorry to hear this..RIP Tony..I really enjoyed all of our conversations on coues deer you'll really be missed may God be with you and your family

Sad, sad, sad news...words are always tough for me when getting news of a friend passing. My sincere condolences to Tony's family and wish them strength during this difficult time.

You were a master storyteller and undoubtedly a great campfire raconteur, Tony, and we will be diminished by your absence.

Vaya con Dios

Possibly a stupid question, I did not know him that well, did he write for a magazine or some company? Or was his name just ODW because he loved talking about hunting?

Many great conversations with him via the hunting forums. The old school guys leaving us definitely leave a void in the hunting community.

RIP

Hope he made into the Happy Hunting Ground a around a great guy.
Prayers sent to his family, he will be greatly missed on The MM site.

Condolences to Tony’s family. He was pretty funny and sure got alot out of his years.

I always enjoyed his posts and contributions
Alot of posts were informative such as news releases and such.
He seemed like he enjoyed a good informative debate with some of you.
It sounded like he got to get out and have a lot of adventures.
Prayers for the family.

Possibly a stupid question, I did not know him that well, did he write for a magazine or some company? Or was his name just ODW because he loved talking about hunting?
FYI - Here is a bio that appeared on another forum a decade or so back.
------------------------------------

Tony Mandile lives in Glendale, Ariz. and has wandered the waters and woods for more than 40 years in pursuit of game and fish. During that time, he has traveled around North America to fish or hunt in 39 states, 10 Canadian provinces, Africa, New Zealand and Mexico.

Mandile has been a full-time outdoor writer/photographer for 24 years and his 35-year active membership in the Outdoor Writers Association of America (OWAA) included three years on the board of directors. He has served on the board of the Western Outdoor Writers (WOW) and the Professional Outdoor Media Association (POMA), which he helped organize in 2005. He also was a contributing editor for ARIZONA HUNTER & ANGLER magazine for 10 years, and spent nearly 7 years as the Arizona Editor for OUTDOOR LIFE magazine. Mandile finished his first book project -- HOW TO HUNT COUES DEER -- with noted guide Duwane Adams. He's now working on book #2.

Mandile's articles and photos have appeared in OUTDOOR LIFE, FIELD & STREAM, CABELA'S OUTFITTER JOURNAL, PETERSEN'S HUNTING, PETERSEN'S FISHING, AMERICAN HUNTER (NRA), DEER HUNTING, ROCKY MOUNTAIN GAME & FISH, CALIFORNIA G&F, WASHINGTON-OREGON G & F, ARIZONA HIGHWAYS, NORTH AMERICAN HUNTER, PENNSYLVANIA ANGLER, ROCKY MOUNTAIN SPORTSMAN, WESTERN OUTDOORS, BOWHUNTING WORLD, SOUTHWEST SPORTSMAN, SAFARI, ARIZONA WILDLIFE VIEWS and a few dozen other outdoor, conservation and travel publications.

Additional writing and photo credits include books, posters, product packaging, print ads and even the photo on a MasterCard credit card. More than 100 magazine covers have carried his byline. His photos have also won numerous awards in the annual photo contest sponsored by the OWAA, and Nikon selected several to appear in the company's prestigious Outdoor Photographers Showcase.

One would think that, at my age, I would be better at finding the words to express my feelings at a time like this. I have spent all day reading the posts from everyone and I think that says a lot about the legacy he leaves behind.
I never personally met Tony face to face but, I feel as though I have known him all my life. We certainly hunted the same mountains and deserts. We fished many of the same waters from Colorado to Mexico. I know this from the vast treasure trove of photos and stories he shared with us all on this forum. But, no, I never had the good fortune to share a campfire with him.
But, in a way, I did get to share those adventures with him. He was kind enough, generous enough, to share them with us all. For that alone, I think we all should feel blessed.
I know I do.
Go rest high on that mountain my friend. You will be missed down here.

Doug Karraker aka Elkchaser

FYI - Here is a bio that appeared on another forum a decade or so back.
------------------------------------

Tony Mandile lives in Glendale, Ariz. and has wandered the waters and woods for more than 40 years in pursuit of game and fish. During that time, he has traveled around North America to fish or hunt in 39 states, 10 Canadian provinces, Africa, New Zealand and Mexico.

Mandile has been a full-time outdoor writer/photographer for 24 years and his 35-year active membership in the Outdoor Writers Association of America (OWAA) included three years on the board of directors. He has served on the board of the Western Outdoor Writers (WOW) and the Professional Outdoor Media Association (POMA), which he helped organize in 2005. He also was a contributing editor for ARIZONA HUNTER & ANGLER magazine for 10 years, and spent nearly 7 years as the Arizona Editor for OUTDOOR LIFE magazine. Mandile finished his first book project -- HOW TO HUNT COUES DEER -- with noted guide Duwane Adams. He's now working on book #2.

Mandile's articles and photos have appeared in OUTDOOR LIFE, FIELD & STREAM, CABELA'S OUTFITTER JOURNAL, PETERSEN'S HUNTING, PETERSEN'S FISHING, AMERICAN HUNTER (NRA), DEER HUNTING, ROCKY MOUNTAIN GAME & FISH, CALIFORNIA G&F, WASHINGTON-OREGON G & F, ARIZONA HIGHWAYS, NORTH AMERICAN HUNTER, PENNSYLVANIA ANGLER, ROCKY MOUNTAIN SPORTSMAN, WESTERN OUTDOORS, BOWHUNTING WORLD, SOUTHWEST SPORTSMAN, SAFARI, ARIZONA WILDLIFE VIEWS and a few dozen other outdoor, conservation and travel publications.

Additional writing and photo credits include books, posters, product packaging, print ads and even the photo on a MasterCard credit card. More than 100 magazine covers have carried his byline. His photos have also won numerous awards in the annual photo contest sponsored by the OWAA, and Nikon selected several to appear in the company's prestigious Outdoor Photographers Showcase.
Thanks for posting easy-money. I had told my wife that he had passed and that I had no idea why I was so damn drawn to this guy that I never met. I think you just explained it.

Tony, I always enjoyed your posts and pictures. It seems you have had a hell of a life and I bet your family is very proud of you.
RIP

Loved his wiseass posts. Wish I will have half the mind as he did in his later years. Had a very lucky family to spend so much time with him. Just one of those guys that one could just set back and take in all the stories that he told.

Copied from a thread I posted to elsewhere earlier today:

"Tony and I had been communicating back and forth the past few months. He drew a late rifle Unit 23 bull tag this year and knew his worsened physical condition was going to prevent him from getting out for that one last hunting trip.

After our talking back and forth, Tony felt he had finally found the right organization for his tag in Heroes Rising Outdoors. He wanted to be sure that his tag would be going to an Arizona veteran who had been disabled due to an actual combat related injury. I assured him that we'd make that happen. It hit me to the core when Tony told me he doubted he'd be here when the time for the hunt arrived. I hated to hear those words, but prepared myself for what might be.

For those of you in the younger generations, you really missed out on a special man who contributed greatly to the hunting fraternity through the years! Tony had accumulated a wealth of knowledge he shared through many decades of writing. He was direct in what he had to say, whose thoughts carried much merit.

You definitely will be missed, Tony! We were fortunate you were an Arizonan ...

Godspeed!"

I just noticed his last photo in his profile. I love it! It looks official with the Error code about him being too sexy to have the picture posted.

DAMN! I'm a newbie but felt like I knew him from reading all his great posts and looking at all the great food recipe's and pics he would post...So Sad...Here one day and gone the next...Live each day like its your last cause you never know...God Bless ODW and all his family and friends.

View attachment 77689
RIP Tony going to miss your humor and postings

Damnation. We just lost another good one. Ouch!
RIP Tony
You will be missed and I've enjoyed our internet association immensely.

Zeke

I would like to encourage anyone here to view and participate in the one photo per day thread on the photography section of the forum. Tony started and moderated the thread and it gives insight into the man he was and the life he was fortunate to live.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom