River gun

stinky

I'm thinking about getting a dedicated rifle for use while rafting and/or canoeing. It would be to use in camp if varmints show up, hunting rabbits and etc., possibly varmint calling.

It will get wet, or damp at the least. Stainless would be a big plus.

I would want it compact, possibly a break-down. .22LR is what I was thinking. But, the Ruger 9mm Carbine would possibly work as it is a breakdown, 9. 9mm ammo is relatively cheap and relatively quiet in a carbine.

AR7?

What are your thoughts.

I have the Ruger PC 9mm carbine and also a Ruger bolt action 357 magnum in stainless steel (https://ruger.com/products/77Series77357/specSheets/7405.html). I don't think the Ruger PC comes in stainless. You can get the Ruger bolt action in a 44 mag too.

I haven't shot my Ruger PC yet, but the Ruger 77/357 is fun to shoot.

2020-03-21 16.24.12.jpg

If all you're gonna do is haul it around in a boat and shoot occasionally, I'd get a Savage 64FSS. Nice little 10 shot plinker, stainless receiver and barrel with synthetic stock. Under $250 so if you lose it, you're not out much. If I was worried about a true take-down survival type rifle, it would definitely be a Henry AR-7, and get an extra magazine for it. Packed up it would be waterproof, have 24 rounds, and FLOATS!!!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom