Road conditions question

mobertok

Hello everyone, I drew a region W tag and plan on hunting the lower sage country in 82. I'm curious if I need to plan for bad weather? If it rains alot or snows, how are the roads, are they drivable? I would suppose I need to carry chains? Any help is appreciated.

Roads are decent from Rawlins to the area your talking about. However it doesn't take much rain to make that dirt super slick! Chain's are a must have for sure!
Oh yeah...find water and you will find the deer. The private usually has the water also.

The soil in many areas of Wyoming is very fine and almost like powder.
I have been on beautiful dirt roads that turned into snot with a light shower of rain or snow melt.
Bring chains and keep them handy.

For years I drove a Chevy and chained up all 4. Now I drive a Ford
and in the owners manual it says chains only on back tires. Anyone
out there only chain up the backs? How effective will they be?

Back only works most of the time.
Some vehicles don't have much clearance up front with brake lines or fender wells while turning.

Sometimes ,if it's bad, all four chained up will save the day.

It started pouring rain where I was scouting this weekend in the middle of the night. I knew where I camped turned to gumbo when wet so I got up and moved next to a main road. Keep in mind if you are camped far from a main road you may have to wait a day for the wyo wind to work it’s magic and dry things out. Chains are nice but some newer trucks suggest not to use chains due to clearance or brake line issues.

Another thing to keep in mind is snow can drift roads shut from oct through the end of the winter. A shovel, jack, tow rope battery cables etc are good tools to have with you.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom