Road hunting the Pauns

buckhorn

Very Active Member
This may sound a little crazy but here goes.
I have put in my application for the Pauns. archery deer tag and I'm wondering the best tactics to use to hunt those bucks.
I've heard baiting is legal and that some guys are putting out apples or other kinds of bait and waiting in their blinds for the bucks to come in. Does this really happen?
I may be more interested in the spot and stalk type of hunt.
Can a person drive around in a pick up or ATV and glass up some good bucks and make a stalk on them or what really is the best tactic to use on the archery deer hunt?
Thanks

>
>You need to ask Bobcat.
> if he's off his
>quad it's because he wrecked.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Stay Thirsty My Friends

Hey dude?

You're about as F'N Helpful here as you are in the Political Forum!

Hey buckhorn!

I Don't have much info on the Archery Hunt!

I Do Believe Most Bucks will be up Higher/On Top & That Ain't Very High to Me!

It's a Migratory Herd & If You're StickFlippin you shouldn't have to Deal with the Migration much!

I Don't like Hunting anywhere near Private Property but I Have heard of Bow Hunters catching Bucks crossing on to Public leaving Places such as Alton!

Sorry I'm Not any Help on the Archery Hunt!

Somebody on here ought to Chime in!

Good Luck!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Thanks elk
I'm really not a road hunter just wondering if there is a way to bow hunt that unit without bumping into outfitters/guides everywhere?

>Thanks elk
>I'm really not a road hunter
>just wondering if there is
>a way to bow hunt
>that unit without bumping into
>outfitters/guides everywhere?

I Don't believe there is!

Yes you can definitely hunt the pauns out of a truck on the bowhunt I've done it every time I've been there, lots of roads.

Not Sayin You Can't Road Hunt it!

Just Sayin if there's Decent Buck anywhere on the Unit You'll Have Outfitters Camped on Him!

Probably be Eatin Some CHUM!

Probably have a Name!

And a Price Tag on His Head!

>
>Not Sayin You Can't Road Hunt
>it!
>
>Just Sayin if there's Decent Buck
>anywhere on the Unit You'll
>Have Outfitters Camped on Him!
>
>
>Probably be Eatin Some CHUM!
>
>Probably have a Name!
>
>And a Price Tag on His
>Head!
This is true and it's sad..I know several guys that put in for years for this unit and when they did draw it they went down and ran into that circus
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>I know so many people in
>so many places
>They make allot of money but
>they got sad faces
>
>It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

Any suggestions on how a DIY guy could deal with that circus and still be successful on a top end buck?

Hunt the BLM/NF area's that border's private fields.
Catch them coming and going from feeding areas to bedding area's

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".
>[Font][Font color = "green"]Life member of
>the MM green signature club.[font/]

I can't speak for the archery, but I have had the rifle tag. I didn't see a guide on my hunt. I pulled the trigger at 7:45 am opening morning, so that may have something to do with it. But It was not a circus for me.

And there are lots of roads all over the unit. There are places to get away from them, but not many.

>I can't speak for the archery,
>but I have had the
>rifle tag. I didn't see
>a guide on my hunt.
>I pulled the trigger at
>7:45 am opening morning, so
>that may have something to
>do with it. But It
>was not a circus for
>me.
>
>And there are lots of roads
>all over the unit. There
>are places to get away
>from them, but not many.
>

Hey Niller?

A Pic?

I'm with vanilla there are allot of roads on the unit but I never ran into any guides hunting the same bucks I was, I was chasing a few that were 190+ type bucks with my bow, maybe if you go lower in elevation you would have a outfitter problem but there are plenty of places to hunt and more than enough hig bucks, your not going to have an outfitter sitting on every big buck in the unit its just not the way it works.

I have also bowhunted the unit & never had a problem with guides or other hunters adversely impacting my hunt. I spent a fair amount of time cruising the roads on top in mid-day or evening & had multiple stalk opportunities on great bucks doing so, including the buck I ended up killing.

elkhunterUT
Good to hear you had a successful hunt.
Did you end up getting the best buck you saw?

vanilla
That's a really good buck. I bet he looked a mile wide when you first saw him. He looks well over 30 inches wide to me. Thanks for posting the pic I love it

Hey Niller!

He's a Little Weak on them Back Forks!:D:D:D

Can't Believe You'd Shoot that Old Bruiser Opening Morning!

You Know I'm RAZZIN Ya!

Nice Job!

We Need more Info Niller?

Did the Mirror Make a Nice Rest?:D

Who needs mirrors when you can just point the barrel out the window?

And yes, his back forks gave me pause initially. Stupid in hindsight, but they did give me pause.

28571img20151024205327.jpg

This is the buck I ended up shooting from the road

Nice buck vanilla I like wide bucks but ended up shooting a tall deep forked narrow buck lol,I'm after a wide trashy buck next time I get the tag

>Nice buck vanilla I like wide
>bucks but ended up shooting
>a tall deep forked narrow
>buck lol,I'm after a wide
>trashy buck next time I
>get the tag

Funny how that works! That place is awesome.

Congratulations on a nice buck Cory!

It looks like that buck is beginning to lose his summer coat which brings up another question I've been thinking about.
How is the archery hunting as the season progresses. Are the bucks harder to find later in the hunt?
This year?s dates are August 17 through September 13.
Will they be shedding their velvet during the bow season?
Thoughts anyone.
Thanks

LAST EDITED ON Mar-02-19 AT 05:27PM (MST)[p]My experience on the Pauns is the later into the archery hunt you go the tougher the hunt gets. Get the buck you want pegged and get him killed within the first couple days. Usually about Labor Day they will start to scrape velvet.

I agree the earlier the better, I'd try to kill the first week or two after that the bucks start to move and start to rub

Definitely agree on getting it done early on the archery hunt if you can.

Hope you draw the tag buckhorn-let us know if you do!

LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-19 AT 10:33AM (MST)[p]23 NR Points hope to get it someday and planning on hunting a lot out of my climbing tree stand over trails between bedding/feeding. Has worked well for me on the AZ Kaibab. Some day.

I drew it 2 years ago, killed my rifle buck on day 7, and yes there was every Outfitter in the state down there during the rifle hunt.
I started scouting during the archery and there were plenty of people driving around, both hunters and recreation.
Would I go back?
HELL YES!!!?

Well after reading Zims post above it looks like I won't draw. He has one more point than I do and he will get that bonus tag ahead of me.
Is that accurate Zim you are in for the Pauns archery nonresident with 23 points?

>
>You need to ask Bobcat.
> if he's off his
>quad it's because he wrecked.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>Stay Thirsty My Friends

Ochtard,
You need to keep your nose in the Political forum where you spew your garbage or in the Oregon forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

>LAST EDITED ON Apr-03-19
>AT 10:33?AM (MST)

>
>23 NR Points hope to get
>it someday and planning on
>hunting a lot out of
>my climbing tree stand over
>trails between bedding/feeding. Has worked
>well for me on the
>AZ Kaibab. Some day.
>

Zim I sent you a pm

Does anyone know Zim well enough to call him and let him know I would like to hear from him?

Do any of you know of someone else with more than 22 points in for the Pauns non resident archery hunt?
Thanks sincerely Jeff

Thanks for your interest but can we please keep this topic about the Pauns archery hunt. Thank you

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom