Roads. From private into public

TheOneRidgeRunner

Whats everyone's thoughts on roads coming off private property onto public land that the public can't gain access to?
One place in particular that makes me frustrated is a road that was closed in the early 90's at the top. Private property guys continuing to ride it from the private at the bottom. Not worth hiking the 7 miles when guys are road hunting the same area. Have seen it in a few states; Idaho, Colorado and Utah.
Is it even legal?

Whats everyone's thoughts on roads coming off private property onto public land that the public can't gain access to?
One place in particular that makes me frustrated is a road that was closed in the early 90's at the top. Private property guys continuing to ride it from the private at the bottom. Not worth hiking the 7 miles when guys are road hunting the same area. Have seen it in a few states; Idaho, Colorado and Utah.
Is it even legal?
I used to have a problem with it but now I just smash their mailboxes and gut shoot their cows.

I'd say, if the road is closed to public traffic, then private landowners become public traffic as soon as they cross off their private land... so therefore they shouldn't be traveling on it either.

The ranch I hunt in WY has a similar situation. There is a "road" with a name that goes to a gas well or water facility. The signs clearly state "no unauthorized personal beyond this point". But guysnwill use the access road to to gas well to access adjoining public land. The owner runs guys off when he can but on the same token the "road" has a name on a map. It's a slippery slope mixed up between a private landowner and the company who is leasing the land for the oil /water wells.

Private land is just that, private. As long as the road through it is not a public road (or publicly maintained) it sucks, but is what it is. If your house bordered a park would you want people walking through your lot as a shortcut?

Private land is just that, private. As long as the road through it is not a public road (or publicly maintained) it sucks, but is what it is. If your house bordered a park would you want people walking through your lot as a shortcut?
So should any private bordering public land should be able to build roads into the public land?
The fact that a road goes through a peice of private for about 1/4 mile then runs about 8 miles on public is a joke. Sure anyone can access the land by walking 7 miles off the top which was closed, only to be walking where private guys access with vehicles.

Is it even legal?

It's illegal to use a road closed to public accessed through private. BLM and USFS manages access via roads through total miles of road density. If a section is closed, it's closed. Private ground does not count for road density on public and heritage lands.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom