Roads On Private Land

OldMxBowhunter

How do you know what Roads you can Use or Not Use for access on Private ranches to get on Public? Is there any way to know for sure. Had no problem going through the private on a scouting trip But, sure hate to show up come season to a Locked Gate with plans to hunt that area.

It would have to be a county, state, or federal maintained road to have public access through private. You should be able to find it on a map with road #. Unfortunately most of the smaller forest roads have no easements and they can lock them at the private.

It's Named But, Not Numbered? After looking Not one road in that Whole area has a Number. One Access I found was on State Land and It was Posted New Mexico State Trust " No Trespassing" So Dang Confusing. The Road I Used Had No Gates and Is the Only Rd. Used By 6 mile's of Small Landowners. I Assumed it was Open But, the Last 5ac Track had a "Do Not Enter Sign". Like other places I Assume it Means Don't Get off the Road But, Who Knows.

The state land should be open during hunting season. NM Game and Fish pays a lease for the hunting access on state lands. So as long as the roads stays on the state/ blm/ FS you should have access. When it's not hunting season state land is just like private and leases can restrict access.

Sounds like the other RD is county maintained until you pass all the private acces then they are locking access. I would be real careful on that one. Call the state land office or Blm in that area they are usually pretty good about knowing what's open and what isn't.

Pretty confusing.. on state land don't EVER get off if an established road for any reason! Also while the state land is legal to hunt as long as it accessable and land locked, the gates may remain locked, forcing people to go in on foot.

There is a link on game and fish's web page to state lands. It will show what state lands are ooen to hunting and what kind of leases they have whether it is grazing, agriculture, mining, oil/gas, etc.

As mentioned, if it is a travel thru public road across private, it remains open. Side lateral roads can remain locked or closed.

When the USFS closes a road to public use, it is to manage the road density within that ranger district. Prime example is in Rio Arriba county in the Carson Jic ranger district, aka oil and gas country.

>There is a link on game
>and fish's web page to
>state lands. It will
>show what state lands are
>ooen to hunting and what
>kind of leases they have
>whether it is grazing, agriculture,
>mining, oil/gas, etc.
>
>As mentioned, if it is a
>travel thru public road across
>private, it remains open.
>Side lateral roads can remain
>locked or closed.
>
>When the USFS closes a road
>to public use, it is
>to manage the road density
>within that ranger district.
>Prime example is in Rio
>Arriba county in the Carson
>Jic ranger district, aka oil
>and gas country.

Good Info. Thanks for everyone's Help

If you are on a county road and you come to a gate or cattle guard with a sign readin,g "state maintenance ends"... here's your sign....

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom