Roan Cliffs Hunt Deer

Hunt4more

Very Active Member
Has anyone hunted the Roan Cliffs for deer and if so, was it any good? I guess the acreage is only about 7k which is not a ton of ground but could be enough. What caliber of deer could one find here and if you had options to go for a week between late sept to Nov 1, what dates would you pick?

I'd contact the operator (Todd Hinkins) and see what information he'd give you. Did you apply for this hunt or are you buying a tag?
Last year there were 24 total tags for that unit and 13 deer that were harvested (52.9%). The hunter satisfaction score was 4.4 out of 5 (which to me seems really good considering the harvest %). Also, the average # of days hunted was 7.3, so sounds like to me they are willing to give you more time to hunt than many other CWMU's (which might explain the high satisfaction rating).
They also have a Facebook page. Looks like a neat place.

The Roan Cliffs unit was split for 2021 and now includes two separate units (Roan Cliffs and West Ridge). Overall, deer quality and numbers are significantly down in the Range Creek area, although there were two good bucks killed on the units in 2019.

The public hunters who draw either Roan Cliffs or West Ridge should expect to see 5 - 7 bucks each day and be happy with a 160s" class buck. Passing a 160" class buck on either unit is is the wrong decision in my opinion if you are looking to take a buck home.

These units were doing quite well back in the 2012 - 2016 ish time frame but have been on a nose dive, along with the whole Nine-Mile / Range Creek area.

The Roan Cliffs unit was split for 2021 and now includes two separate units (Roan Cliffs and West Ridge). Overall, deer quality and numbers are significantly down in the Range Creek area, although there were two good bucks killed on the units in 2019.

The public hunters who draw either Roan Cliffs or West Ridge should expect to see 5 - 7 bucks each day and be happy with a 160s" class buck. Passing a 160" class buck on either unit is is the wrong decision in my opinion if you are looking to take a buck home.

These units were doing quite well back in the 2012 - 2016 ish time frame but have been on a nose dive, along with the whole Nine-Mile / Range Creek area.
And The Whole State!

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom