Rocky mountain sheep unit 30/30A

sray

Hello everyone. I was lucky enough to draw a sheep tag in unit 30 and 30A this year I've gone out five times now and so far only found five rams. I was curious if there was anyone here that's done this hunt in the past. Also wondering if it would be better if accessed from Montana? That's kinda what I think is going to be the best option but thought I'd see if there was anyone here that though different or maybe had a different approach? I'll share some pictures of my scouting trips. It's definitely getting hot out there.

IMG_20220618_083627597_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220618_111202850_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220701_131850907_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220701_165549398_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220617_174305739_HDR.jpg

I think you are doing pretty good if you've found 5 rams! Have you gotten the sheep harvest report from th biologist? If there are a lot of rams taken from other access points, I'd check those out. Congrats.

I think you are doing pretty good if you've found 5 rams! Have you gotten the sheep harvest report from th biologist? If there are a lot of rams taken from other access points, I'd check those out. Congrats.
I still need to get all the harvest reports. I'm mainly wondering if the best way to access this hunt is from Montana side and what people have done to be successful. Five rams in five trips over there doesn't seem that great to me but maybe it is. I appreciate the input thanks for the reply. And thanks it's super exciting.

I still need to get all the harvest reports. I'm mainly wondering if the best way to access this hunt is from Montana side and what people have done to be successful. Five rams in five trips over there doesn't seem that great to me but maybe it is. I appreciate the input thanks for the reply. And thanks it's super exciting.
Idaho sheep in summer tend to be spread far and wide. I feel like the comment above is correct. If you're seeing sheep you're already doing it right. I'd ask if and when those sheep cross the border. If there are rams in Montana in the summer that may be in Idaho come hunting season. Start figuring out what size ram you want/need to be looking for. That unit hasn't produced huge success rates or rams; not to discourage you, as stated above if you've already seen a ram you're probably doing better than most.

My daughter and I spent 13 days sheep hunting last year without seeing a mature ram. We finally found one and by the time we blew up a raft, crossed the mighty Salmon, and got over to the drainage and hiked up, he gave us the slip. She ended up with a smaller ram on our last day (14th). I'd feel pretty good about things if I were you.

I would add that remember it’s only a once in a lifetime tag if you harvest. Another great thing about no points is you do have another chance if you don’t find what you want. I get it guys get all excited and have to punch the tag, but if your young enough to keep applying for years I don’t understand why you’d just “fill a tag” on a sheep, moose or goat. I certainly wouldn’t be shooting a banana ram. Sheep meats good but I’d rather eat the tag for another chance

I would add that remember it’s only a once in a lifetime tag if you harvest. Another great thing about no points is you do have another chance if you don’t find what you want. I get it guys get all excited and have to punch the tag, but if your young enough to keep applying for years I don’t understand why you’d just “fill a tag” on a sheep, moose or goat. I certainly wouldn’t be shooting a banana ram. Sheep meats good but I’d rather eat the tag for another chance
Your completely right! I definitely won't fill my tag if I don't find what I'm excited about. The size of rams aren't the best in the unit, but if I could just find a mature ram that gets me excited I'll go after him.

That’s cool looking country. The best way to hunt it is hunt where the rams are.

sray-

I have a friend who hunted this unit several years ago and took a nice ram, and he said he would be willing to help you with some info. I will send PM you his contact information.

Hawkeye

Thanks everyone! I'm getting super excited even though I haven't seen any other rams, other than the five in July. I'm going to enjoy it regardless if I see a ram or not. It will be a great time and and excited to make some life long memories.

Sorry for the absence on this post I've been out hunting hard since it open for the most part. I went into this hunt with high hopes and low expectations. Last year there was a 0% success rate and the years prior to that were not much better. I experienced a ton of smoke and high temperatures for the first week and a half. The moose fire got out of control the second week of the hunt and really made it difficult glassing at any type of distance. For the first week I sat on seven Rams everyday at about 167 yd away. Me sitting on the border of Idaho and Montana just waiting, hoping they would cross the border and present me a shot. After about 6 days of that they crossed over really high and caught me off guard with no shot, but now they were in Idaho. Unfortunately at the beginning of the hunt I pushed me and my dad way too hard and by this time we were flat done. We waited one more day trying to relocate the Rams but never could turn them up. We then cut our losses and headed home for a few days to rest up.

Fast forward to the next week. We got back to camp Friday night with a couple hours to spare of life. A hiked up and over the Continental divide and started glassing where I suspected the Rams to be after they crossed into Idaho. After about a half an hour of glassing I located six Rams on the adjacent side Hill about a mile and a half away as the crow flies. So we quickly made a game plan for the next morning to hike clear around and get on top of where the Rams were the night before. It was an early morning getting up at 3:00 and starting our journey across the canyon. Once it got light I made my 100 yard crawl over the ridge to see two Rams feeding about 200 yards away. I quickly tried getting into position when they started moving down thinking they had seen me and I was busted. But once they got into the tree line I realized they were just getting with the rest of the Rams and started butting heads which was something I really wanted to experience on this hunt. Sounds like gunshots firing up the canyon. The stock I had on these Rams was about 200 yd, and took me about an hour or so. It was in some nasty shell Rock and every time I moved a foot it sounded like the mountain was rolling underneath me. Each time a different ram looking up in my direction. I soon made it to a rock formation that I could be quiet on and get a good rest for a shot. After taking some time looking over what I thought was six Rams I picked the ram that I was happy with and took the shot. After the shot went off I counted 20 Rams take off out the left side of me all being smaller Rams and two out the right side, at this point I saw the ram I shot starting to stumble and disappear behind a tree. I've then marked my location and started my way down towards where I had shot the ram only 180 yards away. Once I got to the tree the ram disappeared in he was laying at my feet. I am super grateful to be able to call this hunt a success and to share the experience with my dad and friends. The conditions we experienced on this hunt was very difficult at times, long days and long nights but at the end of this hunt we will always be able to look back and remember it for the rest of our lives.

So cool - thanks for sharing your adventure and pictures and congrats on a great ram!! I have a Utah sheep tag coming up in November, so loving others experiences!

Congrats! You earned it. My wife has a sheep desert sheep hunt this winter and this story has kept me excited to get there and get hunting! Hopefully, she will be able to have success like you

So cool - thanks for sharing your adventure and pictures and congrats on a great ram!! I have a Utah sheep tag coming up in November, so loving others experiences!
Congrats! You earned it. My wife has a sheep desert sheep hunt this winter and this story has kept me excited to get there and get hunting! Hopefully, she will be able to have success like you
The only advice I can give to you guys is advice someone gave to me at the start of my hunt. "Sheep hunts are not a Sprint there a marathon"! Just keep that in your head. If there was one thing I'd change about the hunt it would be don't push your hardest at first. I did and got burnt out and that was when the rams I was after finally crossed into Idaho and was finally huntable. I wish you both the best of luck! I'd love to hear about your experiences as well!

Thanks for all the kind words and for following this hunt. It was quite the adventure and im still trying to come to the realization its over and with a solid ram.

The only advice I can give to you guys is advice someone gave to me at the start of my hunt. "Sheep hunts are not a Sprint there a marathon"! Just keep that in your head. If there was one thing I'd change about the hunt it would be don't push your hardest at first. I did and got burnt out and that was when the rams I was after finally crossed into Idaho and was finally huntable. I wish you both the best of luck! I'd love to hear about your experiences as well!
Solid advice-thank you!!

I have already started to share leading up to my hunt, and will share the rest of my hunt on this thread: https://www.monstermuleys.info/xf/threads/2022-luck-of-the-draw.196288/

Great ram and amazing story. That was a well earned ram. Pictures were great also. Bet you really liked having those horses to help pack everything out.

Great ram and amazing story. That was a well earned ram. Pictures were great also. Bet you really liked having those horses to help pack everything out.
They were a ton of help on my mt. Goat hunt and of course on deer and elk but that country where's I shot my ram was to rough even for the mules. Unfortunately we had to put the ram on our backs to get it out. And it took two trips because we had our packs loaded with to much clothing and gear. But for our camp and gear definitely it was nice to have them. We got a very comfortable camp right on top because of the mules and that made our nights and time at camp very enjoyable.

Congratulations on a hard earned ram in a tough unit, but you got it done on a great ram congratulations!

Thanks everyone for the support and kind words! And good luck to everyone that's got tags in their pockets. The seasons are just getting started!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom