Rookie Question

bullskin

Very Active Member
I have not hunted archery in almost two decades, but have a son who wants to get into it and I will do the same. So much has changed (my arrows have 5 inch vanes!) that I wanted to start by asking MMers for their thoughts on equipment. My priority has always been noise reduction and reliability. I have considered simpler to be better, but nothing seems quite as simple as it used to be. When it comes to features and manufacturers, are there any that stand out today? And, when it comes to noise reduction, has the technology improved much since Mathews introduced its harmonic dampening system? I would appreciate your thoughts on this, and thank you in advance.

Every manufacture is making a decent or flagship bow these days. How’s have coke such a long way. Budget will be a determining factor, however, you can pick up package deals that flat out can get the job done for less than 700 bucks.

If you can sneak your shots to within 20yds then pretty much any compound bow will work.

I still shoot a 2005 Mathews switchback.

Buy what your pocket book will allow On bow’s. Arrows upgrade to smaller diameter with 2’’ Blazers like Easton FMJ’s and aero dynamic broad-heads G-5 Strikers, Montec’s , slick tricks etc. for elk go heavy arrow we shoot 556gr.

I bought my bow used on ebay after looking at a friend's bow. Hoyt Factor 30 2015 model $500. All the bows are good now and it's seems like it's just a matter of preference and feel. If I where starting out now I would go to a archery shop and hold the bows and some shops let you shoot the bows. I shoot 340 spline arrows on a 70 lb bow and shoot the same arrows for elk and deer. It isn't that technical just find a bow you like and is in your budget and start shooting. The box of arrows have the specs on the back that tell you what spline to shoot for your draw length and draw weight.
I also was looking at the Mathews V3 but $1200 is pretty steep especially when my bow does everything I need it to.

I bought my bow used on ebay after looking at a friend's bow. Hoyt Factor 30 2015 model $500. All the bows are good now and it's seems like it's just a matter of preference and feel. If I where starting out now I would go to a archery shop and hold the bows and some shops let you shoot the bows. I shoot 340 spline arrows on a 70 lb bow and shoot the same arrows for elk and deer. It isn't that technical just find a bow you like and is in your budget and start shooting. The box of arrows have the specs on the back that tell you what spline to shoot for your draw length and draw weight.
I also was looking at the Mathews V3 but $1200 is pretty steep especially when my bow does everything I need it to.
Good advice here, just don't confuse spline with arrow spine. Archerytalk classifieds have killer deals as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom