Roosevelt elk -GMU19-

• Thread starter TexasTurnedColorado
  • Start date
T

TexasTurnedColorado

I'll be a student at Pingree Park this summer, and was wondering if scouting the area in my free time would be worth it(central and western portions of GMU19). I'm not looking for big bulls or huge numbers...just something to hunt if I dont fill my deer tag. I'll have plenty of time to scout the unit(19), if it seems promising. Carrying an OTC tag(cow or bull) means hunting later in the season when access is difficult up high and the animals are either down, or on their way down. This means hunting low, with quite a few other hunters I'm sure. Hunting elk in close proximity to roads is bush league...so does this area have isolated terrain with elk that sees less than extreme huting pressure? Or not? Do most of these elk winter in the mountains along the Poudre Canyon, or do they dissapear until spring? Are the winters in this area bad enough to push the elk out of the canyon or do they remain in the lower elevation mountains along the river?
Lets just start with that...
Any and all thoughts are welcome and help is greatly appreciated!!

-TxCo

Well Tex, I'll be the first to catch you...We don't have Roosevelts here in Colorado. Other than that, there are elk to be had if you're not picky on sex. It sounds like you're young though. Take up archery hunting and you'll limit the amount of hunters 10-fold.

He is probably talking about Roosevelt Natl Forest. If not, tex, it's true, there are no Rosies here....there are a lot of elk in that area though. There are also a lot of hunters, even during the archery season. There are some areas to get away from the pressure. PM me and I can give you a few specific
pointers.

LAST EDITED ON May-20-08 AT 10:38AM (MST)[p]Ive hunted 19 alot since Im in ft collins and I can help ya if ya want. You asked alot of questions and I dont even know where to start answering you. Yes there are good bulls, yes, you can get off the main roads and find better hunting, yes, its worthwhile, no, they dont disappear, no, they dont winter along the river. ?? Gary

Yall PM me some specifics on the unit too if you dont mind. I may alot of alfalfa and corn feilds available for me to hunt. I heard they are there until first rifle and then there gone . I would appreciate any help.

ttt means to the top he is trying to keep his post active for viewing to get more response.

THE LORD IS MY ROCK
COLORADO,USA
NRA LIFE MEMBER
HUNTING PASS IT ON

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom