Rost.....Long range shooting question..

H

Hornseeker

I was talking to some friends over Christmas and I mentioned how "some guy on the internet" was saying how he shot these little groups with open sights at 600 yards. Anyhow, they called BS and asked how that was possible, and basically, I couldn't explain how it was possible. Can you give me a short tutorial on how you can shoot small groups with open sights at long distance? Is there another website that talks about it some? I guess, mainly, I'm curious about sighting, what you are holding on? I know any open sighted gun I have used, the front sight pin would cover up....what, maybe a 4X8 sheet of plywood at 600 yards?? Maybe a barn, I"m not sure?

Would sure like to hear more about this as it fascinates the chit out of me!

Well, I see you explained it some earlier, just spaced it...

"600yard target aiming black is 36 inches. Which goes out to the 7 ring. 800-1000 yards is 44 inches which includes 8 ring.

My front post is sized to be equal to the 36 inch bull at 600 and for 1000 my 1000 yard AR is sized to equal the width of the target frame(6 feet IIRC).

When I started shooting it was at 200 years ago. In prone with an M1A I could not keep all shots in a 12 inch group(22 rounds). I"ve come a long way.

Sight wise I'm not exactly sure whats out there for normal hunting rifles. I use a ghost ring on my shotgun and can hold about a 6 inch group at 100 with slugs. I think the important thing is to have the rear aperature work for your eyes and allow enough light late and early. FYI my rear aperature is .046,.050..052 depending on ambient light. I'd probably lean to a merit disc(adjustable) or a .125 rear for hunting or larger.
"

ANymore info would be cool though.

Hornseeker

Well I don't recall the actual measurements on sight movement but a good eye can discern a 1/4 moa click movement. IE click and your impact on the target will move. Thats with iron sights. You just have to learn to trust them.

As to how to do it. When I was really active I'd fire 8000 rounds a year. Thats not counting firing 12-44 rounds a nite prone with a 22 at 50 yards. Practice is what it boils down to.

floridahighpower.com is dedicated to competition shooting sports. When I was still shooting a lot I stayed there every nite instead of on hunting sights now that my goals have changed.

Also FWIW the national record with iron sights is 200-19x at 600 yards with a sling prone. X ring is 6 inches. So you can figure that group out. There are always lots of 200-16-18x groups shot each year. ( I say lots-- I suspect around 50 or more) I choose to use an AR which has more difficult sights and I've never shot over 17x But I was deteremined to fire a 200-20x and know I could have done it because I could tell each shot that was not an X as the gun went off. Then its a matter of not accepting those few breaks.(and being one with the wind calls.....)

I'm not sure what else to say. If your eye can see that movement in sights it can discern what you shoot at also. And you just have to sometimes aim at what you can see, and adjust sights to center hits. Which means sometimes folks aim center, sometimes at 6 oclock, sometimes at 12 oclock, sometimes at the frame,sometimes at the dirt where the frame meets teh ground etc... what ever you can see best. Heck in 1000 yard matches I've heard of folks aiming at another target because it was easier to see, and just adjusting sights.

Those that have not done a bunch of iron sight shooting will tend to never believe. Like I said, I was there myself. I just lucked into watching one of the nations top women shooters the first match I was sucked into and started doing everything she did. I had set high goals and met them. That was a combo of luck and determination.

Now I'm determined to win on the hunting scene somehow. Tell your buddies I've made some pretty long shots with both irons and scopes and every one had a disinterested witness. Not that I care any because I do it for me, not anyone else.

BTW how do you get better? Practice. If they would take a good iron sight gun and start shooting a bit here and there at highpower matches and determine to become good, then go back to a scope and see how easy a 300 or 600 yard prone scoped shot becomes. Practice the hard and the easier becomes simple. I used to think 300 yards was impossible. Then started shooting 1 to 1.5 inche groups at 300. I then looked to 600 and have shot a few test groups under 2 inches there. That makes 300 seem like a slam dunk.

Of course I'm human and still miss. Talk to last thursdays hog. Missed him at 125 yards with my AR. Had a horrible flinch right after my cousins 12 ga went off. The best even fail at times

If your friends still think its impossible, go snoop at FLHP site I mentioned and ask a few questions or get them too. You'll be dealing with the nations top shooters. Heck they might even admit to knowing someone like rost495. Might even tell you how my screen name came along...

Hope that helps, Jeff

Oops, I should add a bit more. I have the front sight cut to my eyes correct size. IE .037 inches wide for me. And the rear sight aperture size is correct for my eye and the light conditions. IE I control my depth of field for the sharpest vision. And I'm using corrected lenses that I can position exactly in front of my eye and tinted certain colors for differing light conditions. My front sight is smoked with soot so there is no glare to contend with. Even so I prefer to have ambient light on the front sight so its sharp. And if its overcast I have to switch lenses, and rear diopter sizes to get clarity back to perfect.

Add to that a bunch of practice. To start with if I can't shoot 10 shots into a group about the size of two 22 bullets with my 22 AR upper at 50 yards prone, then I still need a lot of practice. Trust me that sounds easy, but it takes a lot of work. So there are a bunch of things involved. And you have to have a gun capable of a small group to start with at long range.

I suspect it will be tough to convince most. But once you understand what your eye can do(God was truly good to us with our senses) then it makes more sense.

One particular new bullet I worked with a lot and got the AMU team(Army shooting team) to try was a 90 in the 223. I had good loads and won quite a bit with it. Along with outshooting all their shooters at Perry one year at 600. But they took it to 1000 yards and set a perfect record that had never been done before. That was hard for me to understand as my vision is bad beyond 800 yards. But then they explained they were aiming at the buff(white) below the aiming black and bottom of the frame. When they showed me that the buff was only 14 inches tall and you could split that and see a diffference of about 3 inches or less in aiming error that way, then how they could stay inside a 20 inch 10 ring for all 20 shots made a lot more sense. Though doping the wind at 1000 with that round is impressive enough in itself.

Hope that helps a bit more.

Jeff

HornSeeker;

I am no where in Jeff's league when it comes to long range with iron sights. Most of mine has been with a scope. But you can tell your none believing friends that it can be done.
While testing a Pedersoli 1874 Sharps in 45/70 I shot a three shot group at 250 yards that was just over 1 1/4 inches. I was using a bench rest and Verner globe sights. The target was 8 inches in dia. and the front globe covered 6 inches at that range. I placed the globe in the center black which gave me a outer one inch ring around the front sight, this helped big time in sight picture. Several other groups were around 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 inch in size. Two law enforcement officers witnessed the shooting and stated they would not have believed it if they had not seen it done.
This grouping would have been child's play by many of the long range shooters that we have in this country.
NO ! NO ! that Pedersoli Sharps is not for sale, it is one of the most accurate rifles that I have ever owned. It is very accurate with 300 gr. bullets to 405 gr. bullets and I used it to drop a 1600 lb buffalo in it's tracks by placing a 350 gr. Hornady behind and below his ear, but that was at a lot shorter distance under 50 yards.

RELH

"200-19x at 600"

Whats that mean? 19 bulls at 600 yards? But whats the 200? Sorry. Thanks for all the info. Practice is definitely the key. I can go back to the days when I was shooting my 22 a lot, like 500 a week or so, sometimes double that, and it was iron sighted. Could pull off some pretty amazing shots back then.

Thanks.

thats why its good to ask questions. Score data I left out. 600 yards the x ring is 6 inches and 10 ring is 12 inches. 200 is all inside the 10 ring and not just overly common. X is tie breaking inner ring. So 200 -19x means 19 of 20 shots are inside a 6 inch group. FWIW I know the guy that holds the record and 2 sighters were Xs. First for record was an X and second was an 10 about 2 inches low from the X for some uncalled reason(bad round of ammo?) Rest were consecutive Xs.

RELH-- now what will sound weird is with aperature sights folks that are top shooters use a bunch more white around the bull than you did. I don't use those sights yet. But the top shooters swear by big front aps. When I shot smallbore I used a small ring like you did because I thought it was better to see a half inch or inch error. But I suspect they know more than I do.. Dang good shooting with a sharps.

Jeff

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom