Rough Score?

HuntinAddict

Going through some pics from my past scouting trips... What would this guy score roughly?
buck_score_question.PNG

Tough to say from one pic but I see quite a bit of asymmetry so I think he would loose a bit. He may gross in the upper 160s.

That’s one of those bucks that looks very nice but won’t score that well. Not that it matters though. I agree with mid 160s or so.

I agree with others, forks are a little shallow to get into the 170s. Has the frame and some mass on him. Pretty buck.

Main beams are a little short and needs better length so mid to upper 160’s. Could give an official score with the coordinates!! ? lol needs a couple more years but great buck!

I would say 165ish, but he would definitely be on my wall and in the freezer. First time you have seen him or have ya seen him over the past years?

I might be the high guy on this one but I’m going to say 176” gross score. The one weak front did not help him but I think his mass up top will carry him up in the mid 170’s. I’m not picky so I would shoot him with no thought to the score until he was packed out.

Last edited:
Scoring systems are laughable. Scoring should be done using water displacement. That's it. Aesthetics (deep forks, etc...) should not be scored. Everyone has their style they like and would pass on higher scoring buck for the one they like best.
I agree. I personally like crabby, narrow, spindly, pale, asymmetrical bucks!

170ish is what I'd call it. If he has browtines (I can't tell), then add them to 170.

23" beams
23" inside spread
? on G1's
15" & 14" G2's
10" and 9" G3's
8" and 11" G4's
34" mass

In these current times of drought, overhunting and high-tech equipment a 170s buck is quickly climbing to the upper end.
I have seen some bigger bucks in the last few years but not many.

Founders estimate is pretty accurate.
Also it looks like his brows are about 1-4/8 each.
I think it’s safe to say a 173 is a better than average buck nowadays!
I guess it would depend on the state and unit he’s in whether he’s a opening day shooter or not.

170ish is what I'd call it. If he has browtines (I can't tell), then add them to 170.

23" beams
23" inside spread
? on G1's
15" & 14" G2's
10" and 9" G3's
8" and 11" G4's
34" mass
Measuring via water displacement takes care of all of that. No need to do a dozen different measurements and it's insanely accurate. It also takes away any subjective parts of the scoring.
Just sayin...I'm sure the same guys that score their own deer also measure other things from the taint instead of the top :)

Measuring via water displacement takes care of all of that. No need to do a dozen different measurements and it's insanely accurate. It also takes away any subjective parts of the scoring.
Just sayin...I'm sure the same guys that score their own deer also measure other things from the taint instead of the top :)
Your gonna bruise some egos with that last comment. ?

Good luck trying to get that buck to stand on his head in a tank of water! :LOL:

23" beams
23" inside spread
? on G1's
15" & 14" G2's
10" and 9" G3's
8" and 11" G4's
34" mass
He does, you can tell in the second pic and they are decent browtines.

Good luck trying to get that buck to stand on his head in a tank of water! :LOL:
I was thinking the same thing!
Sure water displacement would be a good way to measure antlers but I don’t have a barrel big enough ha ha.
I think it’s called the Burkett system is there an official Burkett water barrel?

Love this.!! ?

I agree that the water displacement would be a better method for 'measuring' the biggest antlers... but I don't think anyone could field judge bucks with that system. LOL

I trust guesses from the folks that measure tons of them. So…… I’m with Jake too.

So I’m not guessing the score, I’m betting on Jake’s score, at least until Homer posts his guess…..
Hey now, don't throw me in the same boat as Homer, I'm not part of the elite O.M. crowd. Just enjoy putting a tape to antlers.

Plus I think posting a "guess" is beneath @Homer I don't recall ever seeing him participate in a guess the score post.... well not with actually guessing a score anyhow. Lol

I trust guesses from the folks that measure tons of them. So…… I’m with Jake too.

So I’m not guessing the score, I’m betting on Jake’s score, at least until Homer posts his guess…..
Lol I’m actually an official measurer for both B&C and SCI but hate making guesses from pictures because they can be so deceiving! Worst part is we’ll never know who was the closest! ?

Hey now, don't throw me in the same boat as Homer, I'm not part of the elite O.M. crowd. Just enjoy putting a tape to antlers.

Plus I think posting a "guess" is beneath @Homer I don't recall ever seeing him participate in a guess the score post.... well not with actually guessing a score anyhow. Lol
I need to be careful how I put this Jake, so I’ll just come right out and cut to the chase…… NOTHING is beneath homer! LOL!!!

Just not seeing it. Mass is awesome, spread is solid, brows ehh, tines are weak. Lots of guys on here who are a lot better at scoring bucks than me. But it takes a pretty well put together buck to make legit 170. He’s a big bodied bugger. Scores just a number. Sweet old looking buck, I’d be happy to harvest him on most hunts.

In these current times of drought, overhunting and high-tech equipment a 170s buck is quickly climbing to the upper end.
I have seen some bigger bucks in the last few years but not many.

Founders estimate is pretty accurate.
Also it looks like his brows are about 1-4/8 each.
I think it’s safe to say a 173 is a better than average buck nowadays!
I guess it would depend on the state and unit he’s in whether he’s a opening day shooter or not.
The day a 170 buck is considered upper end is the day I throw in the towel, no thanks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom