Ruby Crest Trail

Wiszard

Long Time Member
Not that I'll ever hike it but I was talking to a buddy last night and he hiked it. Originally he thought it was 33 miles and only brought enough supplies for that long of a trip. He told me it ended up being 44 miles so the place he got the info was incorrect. I looked online last night and have seen several different distances mile-wise. Just how lonbg is this trail and why can't anyone agree on the distance? Thanks.

Steve

"The 42 mile Ruby Crest (Harrison-Lamoille) trail, extending north to south in the Rubies, is the longest trail."

GOOGLE the Ruby Crest Trail and you will find a lot of info there to read, very interesting.

Brian

Well, that's one of the measurements that is given from a website off of google. I've seen several in the 34 mile range. I wonder if there is a shorter trail or a cut off or somethink. Who knows....my buddy said he was scared crap-less!

Steve

I know what you mean about different info about the distance of this trail. If you go to Lamoille there is a sign/map at the trail head that says it is 48 miles. I'm not sure if they are talking from trail head to trail head or from Lamoille trail head to Harrison Pass paved road. I've ridden the trail on horseback and loved every inch of it. But I agree with you, too much conflicting information about distance. fatrooster.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-22-09 AT 02:26PM (MST)[p]I did it last summer. Crest trail and then some. Just say it's 40 miles long and you'll be fine!
4b3139600a7928e6.jpg

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

Elkohunter- What month did you do it in? What were the highs and lows (temp wise). Plenty of water to replenish your supply? Any threats of predators, ie bears, lions etc? Were you packing? Thanks.

Steve

Plenty of water...Also no need to be concerned about predators..Unless you consider a mouse a predator..One came in to camp and chewed a hole in one of my mountain house meals

Troutcrk
"Livin the Dream"

This is off the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest Map of the Ruby Mountains Ranger District Back Country Recreation stats.

Roads End Trailhead in Lamoille Canyon. The trail extends from the head of Lamoille Canyon (parking area) south 40 miles to the Harrison Pass. It takes about 4 days to hike the complete trail; however, portions of this trail can be hiked from other trailheads or on round trips listed from other locations.

When I was there the first time in summer of 2005, I was told that a couple of cross country runners had done the full distance in a couple of days......good for them.

This trailhead area is beautiful just to see it in the summer, lots of hikers then.
And fatrooster was the nice guy who gave me the map too.
Brian

This guy who was the building supt. at my wife's school in Spring Creek would hike it in a day. His wife would drop him off on Harrison in the wee hours of the morning, and pick him up after dark at the trailhead at the top of Lamoille canyon. He was a tough, retired Forest Service worker in his 60's.

Just curious the differences in elevation from Harrison and Lamoille?? I've only been in from Lamoille about 5.5 hours leading horses, I figured 11-12 miles.

Weather???? You're over 11,000 feet in some places so you can get snow anyday of the year. We packed in on Sept 28th. Highs in the 70s 9/28-10/2. Night of 10/2 we got 22"s of snow.

BE PREPARED!!!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom