Ruger American 7mm-08

BigMass

Won a Ruger American in 7mm-08 at the mule deer foundation dinner and just topped it with a 4-12 Nikon buckmaster with the BDC recticle. Picked up some fusion ammo in 140 grain. Can't wait to take it to the range and dial it in. I love the new adjustable trigger Ruger put on it. Very similar to the one on my Savage. I had to put a timmney on my M77. Anybody have any experience withe the American in 7mm-08?

BigMass,
PLEASE let me know how she shoots. I am looking at getting one for my youngest boy.

Norkal

"One can take my life but not my faith or my
confidence. I fear none and respect all."

What do you think of the sloppy cheap bolt? I was really hoping and looking to buy an American but I just can't look past that horrible slop in the bolt. I love the gun otherwise. I haven't shot it just held a couple at the gun counter.

The bolt is light, but I would not call it sloppy or cheap. The whole gun is light, that is one of the things I like about it. I have a 300 win mag stainless synthetic stock Ruger M77 and a Savage weather warrior in 338 mag. Both are heavy guns to stand up to the magnum calibers and can tire out your shoulder on a fifteen mile hike. They have their place, but it is nice to have something lighter that will still reach out there and take a deer or pronghorn down. I like the new trigger, it has a light crisp pull, I replaced the one on my M77 with a Timney. I really like that they went back to the old style safety. My wife has an older M77 25-06 with that style and I could never understand why they went away from it. I was hoping to get to the range this week but it isn't going to happen, probably next week, I will post how it shoots after I get it dialed in.

very interested in your honest take on this.

as I can see this being a gun for first timers, young kids, kids in school, etc

I finally got to the range last week. It was crowded and I was limited on time. Found paper and got the 7mm-08 fairly close,took longer than I thought due to the range being crowded. By then I was running out of time and couldn't fine tune it. I am hoping to get back to the range in the next couple of days to dial it all the way in. My first impressions were positive. The gun is light weight but has minimal recoil. The clip was easy to attach and detach, and I like that they put the safety back were it used to be be on the original model 77's. I will post about accuracy after my next range visit.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom