Ruger american Predator 308

Salmon

Hello, Wanted to ask if anyone here would give me your opinion on this rifle(good or bad). I might pick one up soon. Also any loads they like. Thanks in advance.

c3

Very Active Member
I have an American 270 that is truly a tack driver with the very first rounds touching at 100 the first time I shot it. Crazy for a gun I bought new in the classifieds for $300. The trigger on these guns are quite nice, surprisingly. Obviously YMMV, but pretty sure you won't be disappointed. The fit and finish is inexpensive for sure, but it's a dang good base regardless.

Cheers,
Pete

BroadHead

That rifle has an 18" barrel but a fairly fast twist rate. I would try Federal Gold Medal Match 168 grain rounds. I don't have that rifle, but I have a Remington 700 with the same length barrel but a slower twist rate (1:12). If I keep my shooting to 500 yards or less, it shoots sub-MOA with the Federal loads and my hand loads.

However, with your 1:10 twist, you can even go up to the 175 gr projectiles all the way up to 500 yards+ and stay supersonic (if I recall).

If you want to stretch it out further, drop down to the 150-155 grain projectiles and you can use it on deer and elk up to 400 yards.

Katoom

I'd go for the non-predator version and get the longer barrel. But if you need a thumbs up generally, I bought a predator in 6.5cm... was impressed with it and immediately bought the 308 (non-predator, black stock). The 6.5 is no fuss and hits where it aims and is a ton of fun and killed two antelope this year. The 308 also gave me a sub minute group about the 5th minute into sighting in.

hawkbill

Very Active Member
D3B58CF5-5894-4B15-B9E2-B0ADE4BB4139.jpeg

American Predator 6.5 cr, new trigger, muzzle brake, Walmart spray can paint job. Supper accurate for a little piece of crap and that goes for the same for all calibers , they hit a home run on the action and the barrels. I really beat this rifle up on my snow mobile.

C5CFB51F-8438-4C5A-A996-653D9AB5EFA7.jpeg

HIcountryman

I have Ruger American in 30 06 and it is reliable and lightweight. Not sexy but good utilitarian gun for the money. Had it since 2014.

Tomichi

Love mine. Have a safe full of good ones but the .308 predator went on my sheep hunt after 37 apps.. 45 gr Varget 150 gr seirra game kings ... cci 200. 5 in a thumb nail off bags.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Top Bottom