Ruger American Predator

Salmon

Hello, Have one of these rifles in 308 and cannot get it to shoot any better with many different loads both factory and handloads. Best group is 4-5 inches at 100 yds. Am thinking that the stock is some how causing the problem. Has anyone else ever had this problem? Any help would be great. Thanks

I have one and it shoots around 3/4" at 100yrds.
I would check the torque on the action screws.
Then the bases.
Swap out the scope maybe.

The fore end of the stock is flimsy on some of those. Make sure your barrel is square in the barrel channel, and that the stock is not rubbing on one side.

I have one and it shoots around 3/4" at 100yrds.
I would check the torque on the action screws.
Then the bases.
Swap out the scope maybe.
Hello, Saw your post about 308 Ruger Predator. Would you mind sending me what bullet,powder and overlength length is? Thanks in advance....Tom

Ya not worth playing with it if all the screws are tight and the scope is good. Check scope rings...a tiny amount of lubricant on the rings prior to mounting can cause the scope to shift and make for a headache...had that happen on a 308 of mine years back...took forever to figure out.

If I couldn’t get a 308 to shoot a 150 grain interlock, with Varget, seated at 2.800” I’d throw it in the lake.

It sounds like you got a poor rifle, Ruger would probably give you a new one. Contact them! My 6.5 shoots holes in holes. Remember now it’s a 400.00 rifle

Starline brass
Winchester large rifle primers or Federal 210 primers
COAL- 2.850
Nosler BT and Accubond 150gr.
45gr. Reloader 15
44.5 H4895
165gr. Nosler BT or Hornady SST
43gr. Reloader 15
44gr. Varget
42gr. H4895

These loads are well below any max and have served me well.

My friend has that exact rifle and it likes the cheap federal 180 soft pionts. I shot a 3 shot group at 200yds that was under a half inch I was blown away. I bought one in the 22-250 calibur. I reload and it shoots just about anything I've loaded into tiny little groups for a $400 gun their pretty amazing.

I don't own a Ruger American, but I do have a Remington 783 (in .308) and a Savage 111 Trophy (in 6.5 Creed), both of which I would say are in the same economical class as the Ruger American.

I've been able to get both of my rifles to shoot sub-half MOA with handloads only. For the Remington 783 in .308, it has the same twist rate as the Ruger and 168 grain projectiles have worked very well. Varget powder is my go-to for the .308.

I start off by jumping the lands by .020" and then work on a powder charge. Once I find a good accuracy node, then I work on jumping the lands even further if necessary (in increments of .010") until I get it to shoot at least half an inch at 100 yards.

Also, double-check your barrel crown and make sure there are no scratches or otherwise any damage.

I have a Ruger American go wild 6.5cm and it shoots 140gr nosler accubonds in 3shot groups at a hair under 3/4" at a 100 yds which I think is great for a rifle in that price range

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom