Rutting activity

Unable to get out yet, so I’ll find out next weekend. Forecast is calling for normal temps and dry weather for the next 10 days.

I am starting to see small bucks joining herds of does that were buck less the last 2 weeks. I don't think it's too far off from getting going good. I'd say another 7-10 days and it'll be going pretty good in the lower desert.

Any update on the rut? Heading out tomorrow and will be hunting the 11th through the 14th. Can’t wait!

I hear reports in parts of the state rut is going strong and other parts where not much at all and does all by themselves. I hope to get out tomorrow and check things out for myself.

It’s sloooow. Lots of does without bucks.

Ran into a deer biologist while hunting this week in the desert and he said sometimes during extended drought conditions like the desert is experiencing that not all the does will come in estrus this year. Natures way of compensating for lack of water. Makes sense, I guess.

I’m wheels up and currently at 30,000 ft. Beautiful morning to fly. I should be in my unit by early afternoon and get a quick glassing session/hunt in. Hopefully with the cool weather and new moon the big boys will be on their feet during daylight.

Left the desert to hunt Coues closer to home.....maybe they’ll be in rut there. Desert was slow

Got to my unit in time to hike up a knob and glass for 1.5 hours. Saw 10 mule deer, 6 peccary. 2 bucks, one small fork one big wide fork. The big fork was tending a lone doe. I’ll go back to the same spot in the morning to see if anything else is moving.

Slow day today. Saw 8-10 deer, all but one were coues. The only mule deer was a really big 3x4. He was working up a draw, so I tried to get in front of him. I beat him to the spot, but my scent got pushed towards him. He blew out at 100 yards.

Zero rutting activity. Buck was alone, as were the coues does.

Also saw 10-12 javelina. Wish I had a tag!

So far I’m enjoying my first Arizona deer hunt.

Slow day today. Saw 8-10 deer, all but one were coues. The only mule deer was a really big 3x4. He was working up a draw, so I tried to get in front of him. I beat him to the spot, but my scent got pushed towards him. He blew out at 100 yards.

Zero rutting activity. Buck was alone, as were the coues does.

Also saw 10-12 javelina. Wish I had a tag!

So far I’m enjoying my first Arizona deer hunt.
I think javelina are archery OTC. Should be able to get a tag.

ARCHERY-ONLY NONPERMIT-TAG REQUIRED SPRING JAVELINA Open Areas do not include areas within municipal parks, municipal preserves, county parks, county preserves, airports, golf courses, or posted water treatment facilities (except as specifically opened in this Commission Order) or areas closed to hunting under A.R.S. Sections 17-303 and 17-304 or Commission Rules R12-4-321, R12-4-801, R12-4-802 and R12-4-803. Season Dates Notes Open Areas Legal Wildlife Jan 1 - Jan 31, 2021 (3,22,23,24,25) 1, 2A, 2B, 2C, 3A, 3B, 3C, 4A, 4B, 5A, 5B, 7, 9, and 11M Any javelina Jan 1 - Jan 31, and Dec 10 - Dec 31, 2021 (3,4,5,9,10,15,25) 25M, 26M, and 38M Any javelina

These are the only archery tags that are OTC.

Started the day in an area I found water a bit higher up. No mule deer seen, but was covered up in coues deer. Saw 12+ with two confirmed bucks, one of which was mature. Both bucks were chasing does and checking bedding areas blowing out bedded does. They got into thick cover, where I couldn’t see them bed.

Mid day I explored a new area and saw 7 mule deer, 2 small bucks. One buck was with a group of does. The evening sit I saw 12+ mule deer. With about 1 hour left in the day the does started filtering towards water. Just as the sun was setting a big buck stepped out and was chasing the does. They were too far to make a move with the sun fading fast. If he has the same pattern tomorrow I’ll be ready.

I have one more day in the hunt. Fingers crossed.

Spent the last 5 days in central AZ, most does had no bucks. The ones that did didn’t show much rutting activities. Areas that usually hold deer had none, should have went further south this year.

Today was my final hunt. It ended with seeing about 18-20 mule deer. I didn’t glass a single one, which was strange. They all stood up while walking between glassing points. It seems that they were all bedded before light.

A group of 12 stood up about 300 yards away. 4 took off over the hill, but I crouched down before any others spotted me. The remaining group consisted of 7 bucks and 1 doe. The doe must have been in heat, as a mature 3x4 stayed with her. They all bedded back down, facing straight away. I began my stalk and got to 60 yards before the doe stood. She got up to stretch her legs, and initially didn’t look my way. But as she turned I was in the wide open. All the deer got up and I was able to draw and shoot. I missed low.

Overall, it was a fun hunt, but extremely difficult solo. If I choose to do this hunt again in the future I’ll hopefully have a partner.

In conclusion to the “rut” report. I saw several bucks following or dogging does, but the activity didn’t last all day and seemed random. I saw several groups of coues and mule deer does without any buck at all. I don’t have any other season to compare with, but I expected more from the rut. I was happy with the quality of the deer, as all you hear about in AZ is the strip.

Thanks for the report ss13! Glad you had a bit of action, even if you didn't fill your tag.

What area of the state were you in? Elevation? Seems rut is slow all over (apparently except for my buddy's report in Cave Creek, bucks running all over town).

Just not sure if it's elevation, temps, water, moon, etc. I'm heading up solo this weekend, so trying to figure my best chance to have some action (deer and pig tag in my pocket)!

Safe travels home!

Went out today in central AZ. I saw a total of 0 deer! First time that’s ever happened....lol. Saw 2 nice bulls tho. It is super dry out there. I can’t remember a January hunt so dry, with all the roads turning into that super fine moon dust. This drought is clearly having an effect on the mule deer! I couldn’t find any water. Might pack up the bow for the year and come back in August!

Thanks for the report ss13! Glad you had a bit of action, even if you didn't fill your tag.

What area of the state were you in? Elevation? Seems rut is slow all over (apparently except for my buddy's report in Cave Creek, bucks running all over town).

Just not sure if it's elevation, temps, water, moon, etc. I'm heading up solo this weekend, so trying to figure my best chance to have some action (deer and pig tag in my pocket)!

Safe travels home!

I was about 30 miles from the boarder. 4,500 to 5,000 ft. I did have water in my area. Not a lot, but found several sources.

Ahh, got it. I was around Prescott this weekend. Saw a number of does and fawns, but not a single buck. Very little water around up in similar elevations to you.

Oh well, another January goes by....

Was in central AZ over New Years jumped a doe with a nice 4x4, but they bolted. Next day had a group of 10 does with 2 bucks, 1 was a nice 4x4, put a stalk on him & got to 65 yards before I ran out of daylight. Was back up there this past weekend & only saw 1 small group of 5 does & no buck. Jumped a small buck in the same as area as the does. Rut activity is hit & miss in the area I was in. Driest I have ever seen, of the 7 water holes we checked only 2 had small amount of water. This storm coming thru needs to dump a bunch of rain & snow!!!

Thinking about heading out this weekend for the end of the season. Anyone have any rutting activity updates in the SE say near willcox or so?

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom