S and W 9mm Shield

Speer 124 gr. Gold Dot short barrel ammo or Federal 124 Gr. HST. Both give impressive performance in ballistic gel for penetration and expansion to 60-70 caliber. Excellent defensive ammo for stopping human aggression.

RELH

Middlefork, on a 5 shot average the Hornady 135 gr. Critical duty average 1053 FPS, 19 inches of penetration and expanded to .43 caliber. The 135 gr. +P critical duty failed to match the standard 135 gr., but the gold dot and HST surpassed the Critical duty.
You would be surprised on how many HP failed to expand on 5 shots into the gel.

RELH

>Middlefork, on a 5 shot average
>the Hornady 135 gr. Critical
>duty average 1053 FPS, 19
>inches of penetration and expanded
>to .43 caliber. The 135
>gr. +P critical duty failed
>to match the standard 135
>gr., but the gold dot
>and HST surpassed the Critical
>duty.
> You would
>be surprised on how many
>HP failed to expand on
>5 shots into the gel.
>
>
>
>
>
>
> RELH

Well thanks for the heads up. Do you have a link for those results? I don't shoot into gel too much.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-17 AT 07:48PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-23-17 AT 07:47?PM (MST)

Here is the link:
www.luckygunner.com/lab-self-defense-ammo-ballistic-test

when you get to the site you will find tests done on 380, 9mm,38 spec., 357 mag, 40 S&W, and 45 ACP. They also will have small thumbnail photos of the 5 bullets fired. the rounds I mention above had about 18 inches on penetration and expanded to 70 cal or larger.

I liked the idea of firing 5 shots then averaging the total as you will see some failures to expand with one or more bullets and the rest in the 5 shots gave good expansion. The best gave good expansion on all 5 shots along with deep penetration. It will give you a good guideline for selection of self defense bullets.

When you get to the site, click on Labs.

RELH

Homer, sorry. Shield 9mm M and P Smith and Wesson Concelaed Carry .95 inch width and 3.1 inch barrel length.

I'll third (or fourth) the Hornady Critical defense. EXTREMELY accurate out of my LC9S, and damn near a laser out of my Glock 19. The Gelatin sounds great, but my experienced accuracy was phenomenal. I had the luxury of shooting about 15 different factory HP's for grouping @ 20 yards from a ransom rest. The Hornady shot perfect clovers repeatedly, with perfect sight alignment. Also like Speer Gold Dot, and Lawman for practice (same weight, same poi).

LAST EDITED ON Apr-25-17 AT 11:32PM (MST)[p]Reno, were your groups as good as these two. Colt National Match was my duty gun and that is 8 shots of 185 gr.+P that was my duty ammo. Group fired resting on sandbags at 25 yards. 1.5 inch group, Muzzle velocity was 1150 FPS
S&W 1911 was my match shooting gun. That is a 8shot group fired from a Ransom rest at 25 yards. Federal 185 gr. Gold match ammo.

417320004594.jpg
RELH

LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-17 AT 00:19AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Apr-26-17 AT 00:15?AM (MST)

S&W 1911 That 8 round hole can be covered with a 5 cent nickel. Factory barrel removed and Kart match barrel and bushing fitted to gun. slide to frame fit was perfect out of the factory box.

613210004595.jpg
RELH

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom