S. Dakota Whitetail

3DEER

Has anyone hunted South Dakota whitetail?
If so what are some good areas to look at?
Thanks for any information,

3DEER

Where do you want to hunt east river or west river. East River is east of Pierre. west river is west of pierre. More WT east of of the river then west. Good places around Watertown, Clark, Carpenter, Raymond, Willow Lake area's they always have lots of deer. The Dry Lake region is a great place to hunt.

That gets hammered pretty good each year(Rapid City hunters and such)There is still little pockets that hold nice deer, if you want to hunt the west river area move up north around Buffalo there is always some nice WT taken from up that area, You just have to find a rancher who will let you hunt his ranch( this isn't that hard) Hunt this area the same way you would hunt muleys because the WT bed and travel this area about the same as the mule deer do. It a great place to have any buck tags>

Whats the chance of an Non resident geting a tag this late in the game, and your advice would be appreciated.

Very good Get only of the SD fish and game, deadline for tags is end of next month I think. Better hurry.

The draw is over. Their may be leftovers for west river. Harding co has a lockout(about 150,000 acres I believe,) it is not as easy to obtain access on good ground right now.

I think Resident draw is over But I would check and see about Non-resident, unless they changed it it should still be open as a non-resident you could apply up until Sept. But hey that is why you should just give the Fish and Game dept in Pierre a call. Really hot area's in Harding is hard to come by just like every where but there is ranches that are alot harder to get to and those ranches sometimes will let hunters on, A lot of the ranches do charge a tespass fee too. But the walk-in area's are still a great deal. Just find one that is really big and you will not run into a lot of hunters in the far parts of it.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-20-04 AT 01:49PM (MST)[p]bdana is correct. I got my NR west river tag last week. Check for left over tags. I am guessing there may be some left over double tags.

On another note, I am not sure if the Hills are hammered that hard. It is a draw permit and has really limited the number of hunters from when it used to be OTC. The quality of bucks has definitely improved as well.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom