Sad story in the oregonian about ex OSP trooper turned scum bag poacher

B

bullnanza

Tim Gallaher. He retired after getting busted for shooting a 6x7 bull elk last fall out of season and cutting the horns off and leaving the rest to rot. There were other charges mentioned like tresspassing, and using his OSP state pickup in the commission of the crime. His kid was also involved in the crime. What a dirt bag.

Exactly.....I would like to know more about this story though! People that jump on forums and post things they only "heard" were true are sorry. ANYONE know anything about this story, or is it just rumor?

I got the article from another website I read. I guess the poaching took place up on Tollgate. I would like to find out exactly where it took place because I was hunting with a buddy who had an LOP tag on the north side of the road during the time when the poaching took place and we didn't see any OSP activity. I wonder if it was the 7x7 we only saw rutting cows at 3:00am with the full moon. Glad they caught the guys. Here is the article

Published February 05, 2009

Poaching case in Oregon more disturbing to police
Mark Freeman

PENDLETON, Ore. ? When teams of Oregon State Police troopers descended upon two houses and two pickups last fall, search warrants in hand, they were on the cusp of breaking open a Rocky Mountain elk-poaching case that was anything but routine.

Troopers seized global-positioning system units, arrows, a camera and myriad other items they hoped would link a Pendleton, Ore., father and his son to the poaching of a branch-antlered bull shot and left to waste in the Umatilla National Forest.

A good case for the cops, if only it didn't involve one of their own.

The Oct. 1 searches were of the Pendleton house and cabin owned by Timothy Ernie Gallaher, who at the time was a senior trooper with the OSP's Fish and Wildlife Division ? the very same group investigating him.

A police affidavit accuses the 51-year-old Gallaher of helping his son, a 22-year-old state prison guard named Timothy Charles Gallaher, in the poaching of a 6-by-7-point elk Sept. 21 near their family's cabin.

A fellow guard at the Eastern Oregon Correctional Institute says the younger Gallaher bragged about shooting the elk with his father's approval, according to the affidavit.

The guard also claims the younger Gallaher said his father offered to retrieve the downed elk and remove it using his OSP pickup truck, the affidavit states.

Police also suspect both Gallahers trespassed on private property to find the dead elk, but by then the antlered head was severed and gone, the affidavit states.

Neither man has been charged in the case, which is now in the hands of the district attorney in nearby Union County. The elder Gallaher retired in December, OSP records show.

Still, the investigation hangs like dirty laundry in the office of OSP Capt. Walt Markee, who considers the case against the Gallahers to be as strong as it is disappointing.

"Police officers take an oath to protect and serve, protect our resources and that's our expectation," says Markee, who heads the fish and wildlife division.

"We did our job, but it's not satisfying."

The elder Gallaher, a 28-year OSP veteran, isn't getting any special treatment because he was a trooper, Markee says.

And he's not getting a heavier hand because of it, either, Markee says.

"We're investigating it equally," Markee says. "We investigate crimes where we find them and let the facts fall where they fall.

"We certainly won't look the other way."

Union County District Attorney Tim Thompson said he is reviewing the case, and has discussed it with the elder Gallaher's attorney, Dave Gallaher ? a former Umatilla County district attorney who is also the former trooper's brother.

Possible charges against the elder Gallaher include illegal aiding/counseling in a wildlife violation and official misconduct, both misdemeanors.

The Gallahers did not return telephone calls this week seeking comment.

The affidavit centers around four alleged conversations in late September between the younger Gallaher and fellow guard Josh Mitchell while on shift together at the Pendleton prison.

On Sept. 20, the younger Gallaher allegedly told Mitchell that he passed on shooting a 7-point bull while hunting in a spike-only hunt, then telephoned his father, the affidavit states. The elder Gallaher allegedly told his son that it was all right to shoot the branch-antlered bull, and that he would help retrieve the dead elk with his state pickup, according to the affidavit.

On Sept. 21 at the prison, a "visibly excited" younger Gallaher allegedly said he shot a 6-by-7-point bull in the neck that morning with an arrow he later found broken and bloodied, the affidavit states.

The younger Gallaher reportedly said he saw the elk wander into what he believed to be private property, then logged his location on a GPS system so he could give those coordinates to his father, according to the affidavit.

On Sept. 22, the younger Gallaher allegedly told Mitchell that the elder Gallaher asked for, but was denied, permission to search the private property for the dead elk, the affidavit states. The plan was for the elder Gallaher to return in his state police truck the next day to retrieve the animal, according to the affidavit.

Mitchell reported the conversations to his supervisors because he thought poaching was morally wrong and that he feared not reporting the conversations could lead to his dismissal, the affidavit states.

The Gallahers allegedly met later at their family cabin near Tollgate and were seen in the area repeatedly by OSP troopers who kept the pair under surveillance, the affidavit states.

The younger Gallaher later told Mitchell that the pair found the dead elk, without its antlers, on the private property, the affidavit states. Nearby were two dead calf elk with their backstraps missing, and the elder Gallaher believed a local poacher was involved.

"Junior told Mitchell that Senior was going to make a case against (the local poacher) regarding the calf and Senior would retrieve the 6X7 bull elk antlers in order to give them to Junior," the affidavit states.

The search warrant was signed two days later, records show.

Markee says the case was forwarded to Thompson without any recommended charges, just like his troopers do all the time.

"And he's innocent until proven guilty," Markee says, "just like everyone else."

Mark Freeman at 776-4470, or e-mail [email protected].

Every profession has SCUM BAGS! Not a shocker just look what is running our country. Corrupt politicians are thick like fleas. It does piss me off that they aren't going to make an example out of this "public servant" though.

HK

I didnt hear a rumor... it was based on an article I read in the Sunday Oregonian[2/22/2009]. As far as calling him a scumbag....The shoe fits for sure[ he wouldnt have "retired" from the OSP if he wasnt in the wrong} and I would have called him worse but it would have been deleted. It was very interesting that it took several months for this to come out. The Medford Mail Tribune first ran the article in early Feb. and the Oregonian picked it up from them.

Thats an amazing article! I knew him, he was the Game Warden for that area. He has worked hard in the past to bust Outfitters. He never caught me, cause I do not bend or break the laws at all, but i know of others he has harrassed. How fitting....

I guess you can now call him a dirtbag now.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

There is more info out there I can't seem to find it though. The story is a little different than the one posted above. I am not saying what happened was right.

Well, dont talk about a PHANTOM story, and not show us. What I am hearing, there is not ANY good thing that has come of this!!
If any of you are feeling sorry for these guys, stay out of hunting....pick up Knitting or something! IF YOU CANT TELL, THESE KIND OF ISSUES BURN ME UP!!! THIEF!!!!

Makes you wonder what else they have gotten away with? I can't stand hearing about this kind of corruption! I do have a funny story though. Years ago my Grandpa, who is physically disabled and is legal to hunt from a vehicle shot the hell out of OSP's "scruffy"! They were yelling at him to stop shooting but he just put the hammer down. I don't know if it was growing up blacktail hunting and he thought they were after his deer or what but he shot it like four times before he figured out what was going on. He will never live it down! They tried everything to throw the book at him. Hope they eventually do the same to the officer's in question!!!

RESPONSE TO PUBLICIZED SEARCH WARRANT AFFIDAVIT

Sr. Trooper Tim Gallaher, 28-year career Oregon State Police game officer, is prepared to take responsibility for his after-the-fact actions in regard to the illegal bull elk allegedly killed by his son. However, his actions bear no resemblance to the false statements contained in the widely publicized Affidavit for Search Warrant filed in the Union County Circuit Court.

Those statements are for the most part false, whether they were actually made by Sr. Trooper Gallaher?s son or not. In fact, the only material truth in those statements is that Sr. Trooper Gallaher?s 21-year old son shot a bull elk with branched antlers, while lawfully hunting by himself with a spike elk tag.

Tim Gallaher, Jr., the son, is a very inexperienced hunter who has never shot any elk before, having only hunted the last few years. He was raised in Portland and only last year moved out to Eastern Oregon to take a job with the prison and live with his dad. He is a very good-hearted young man who, in his inexperience and excitement while hunting lawfully with a spike elk tag, made a mistake.

Understandably, he was not truthful with his father, Sr. Trooper Gallaher, about the details of the incident and portrayed it as a possible accident. He then fell under the sway of a newly made false friend at the prison, the informant who gave the State Police all of the statements in the Search Warrant Affidavit that he claims Gallaher Jr. made to him.

This matter has been in the hands of the appropriate prosecutor in Union County, the county where the elk was killed. We have previously conveyed the following information to the District Attorney and have been cooperating in the criminal justice process.

Ordinarily, we would not make this statement to the press while the matter is pending to protect Sr. Trooper Gallaher?s constitutional rights, but the publication of the Search Warrant Affidavit, and the wide dissemination of the multitude of false statements reported in it, demand a response, even if Sr. Trooper Gallaher gives up some of his constitutional protections by giving it.

Here are the facts: before any of the Search Warrant Affidavit statements were reportedly made to the informant by the son, Sr. Trooper Gallaher was told by his son, on September 19, 2008, that the son had attempted to shoot a legal spike elk and instead shot over its back and he thought he "could have? hit an illegal, immature, so-called ?rag horn? branch-antlered elk, which was standing behind the spike, in the neck. Gallaher Jr. told his father that he searched thoroughly for blood and could find none.

Sr. Trooper Gallaher went to the scene his son described the next day, September 20, 2008 to try to determine if his son had indeed hit an illegal ?rag horn? immature branch-antlered elk. Just as he would have done in his official capacity if anybody had reported such a possible accident. He could find no evidence that the event had occurred. No blood, no trail.

Then, on September 21, 2008, while on his pre-scheduled vacation, hunting alone in the same area, a family hunting ground within a few miles of the family cabin in the Tollgate vicinity, Sr. Trooper Gallaher found a dead, spoiled, ?mature? branch-antlered bull elk, nearly 1/8 of a mile away from his son?s reported incident, but within 100 yards of the tree stand of a person Sr. Trooper Gallaher believed to be a suspect in an illegal cow elk case he was working before his vacation. That person was also camped in the area.

On top of being a mature bull elk rather than a ?rag horn? immature bull elk, the elk appeared to have been wounded in the brisket area of the chest rather than the neck. Because of the dissimilarities between the found bull and the bull described by his son, Sr. Trooper Gallaher believed there was at least an equal likelihood that the bull had been killed by the suspect in the cow killing case or could have been wounded and lost by another lawful or unlawful hunter under any number of legal or illegal circumstances.

Sr. Trooper Gallaher then removed the horns from the bull and stashed them at a location away from the bull to prevent their recovery by his original suspect or any other violator or uninvolved passerby until he continued his investigation after his vacation. He moved the horns the next day to a site further from the carcass and the nearby camp and closer to a forest service road for easier location later.

He then he confronted his son with the information concerning the bull he had found.
Gallaher Jr., at that point, admitted to his father that he may have shot a mature bull, not a ?rag horn?.

From that point on Sr. Trooper Gallaher was caught between his duty as an officer of the law and his paternal instincts. He did nothing further with respect to the bull or the horns and never has had any further contact with either.

Neither he nor his son possessed the horns after that and he anticipated they would be located where he had marked them on his GPS which was taken from him by the investigators. They apparently were not located. He did not further investigate the case.

When the found bull was reported to him by the very person he originally believed to have been a suspect, Sr. Trooper Gallaher forwarded the report to his on-duty colleague, another Sr. Trooper game officer in Pendleton, for possible investigation, but omitted to disclose his son?s involvement or his own actions.

That is where he fell off the tight wire he was trying to walk between his police officer?s head and his father?s heart and that is what he stands ready to take responsibility for, having already ended his otherwise unblemished career by his unsolicited retirement.

The Oregon State Police investigation thoroughly refutes the truth of many, if not most, of Gallaher Jr.?s alleged statements to the informant. It absolutely supports Sr. Trooper Gallaher?s version of the physical facts and dates of relevant occurrences, which, in and of itself puts the lie to many of the statements reported in the publicized search warrant affidavit.

Gallaher Jr. has admitted that he was not initially truthful with his father. He has denied making many of the statements claimed by the informant. But, whether he made them or not, they have been shown to be false in most material respects by the facts as developed in the investigation reports.

In particular, Gallaher Jr. confirms that he never told his father of any intent to hunt branch-antlered bull elk and his father never approved of such behavior. Neither did Sr. Trooper Gallaher ever offer to transport a branch-antlered elk in his official vehicle.

The elk was shot and died exclusively on public, forest service land, it was never on private property. Sr. Trooper Gallaher never asked for, or was denied, permission from any landowner to enter private property to look for the elk. These facts, as to location being entirely on public land, are absolutely supported by the investigation report.

The state police investigation proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that many of the material statements reportedly made by Gallaher Jr., were not true, as the following examples illustrate:
Jr. shot the elk before his alleged statements claim he even started hunting for such an elk;
Jr. did not recover a broken piece of his bloody arrow;
the elk was never transported in any vehicle, let alone Sr.Trooper Gallaher?s official vehicle;
the elk was not located on private property as Gallaher Jr. purportedly said;
Sr. Trooper Gallaher had not contacted any private property owners seeking entry onto such land;
the elk was located by Sr. Trooper Gallaher a full week before Gallaher Jr. purportedly acknowledged an elk carcass was located;
the elk carcass was located by Sr. Trooper Gallaher alone, not in the company of Gallaher Jr. a week later, as Jr.?s claimed statements would have it; and on and on and on.

A search was conducted of Sr. Trooper Gallaher?s house, cabin and vehicles and no elk, elk meat, elk blood, or elk horns were found, in his home or in his vehicles, official or otherwise.

s/ David D. Gallaher
Attorney for Sr. Trooper Tim Gallaher, Ret.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-09 AT 08:30AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-09 AT 08:25?AM (MST)

No I don't think I will be taking up knitting. So much for a phantom story.

Lol....thanks for putting up another story about this. You sound like you (ELKSLAM) are defending this dirt bag!!
IS it me....or is this last story very one sided? MAYBE its because the defending attorney is the accused family! WOW imagine that! WOW.....The trooper was tying to cover up for his son, now the attorney is trying to cover up for his brother!
This whole case needs to be known as "BLOOD IS THICKER THAN WATER!"

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-09 AT 10:52PM (MST)[p]Sorry to tell you, dude; you should not have made that post. You make "jr" and "Sr" sound even more guilty than before. I hope they get the book thrown at them, because they clearly are crooks and think they are above the law.

I am a school administrator, and this sounds exactly like the middle school "he said" "she said" stories I sort out daily. What a crock!

Retirement says it all. You know the dirtbag is guilty of some bad stuff or he wouldnt have retired from the OSP at the ripe old age of 52. If he were pure as the driven snow[INNOCENT] he would have taken it to court to clear his and his sons name, and I would imagine to some extent save the OSP from the negative press. His brother/mouth piece can spin it any way he wants to but I am sure the OSP didnt arrest one of there own unless they absolutly had to because of the mountain of proof they had gathered. Think about it he was a game enforcement officer. They would expect him to be legal beyond reproach. So he recieved the benefit of the doubt to the bitter end for sure. One last thing it should be on the front page of every newspaper in the state. He needs to be humiliated, fined and jailed to the FULLEST EXTENT OF THE LAW. That way anyone else in public service who is thinking about committing a crime or ripping off the people they are sworn and paid to serve might think twice.

You must not know much about OSP, they would give a ticket to their own mother. Also you can retire at 50 years of age so that isn't a issue. Not that I'm backing what he did just shedding some light sounds like there is no doubt of what happened here. looked what happened to your joe public the guy that owns SHILO Inns he just got his hand spanked for all BS he was doing on his ranch. It goes both ways. Have a good day

I would n't say I am defending him I was just posting whats is out there so far. If he is guilty so be it then he will be treated as anyone of us would be in the same situation. If it was my kid I would have tanned his hide then turned him in. It should have never happened beings the kids dad is a game warden but some kids are not to bright.

I cant help but give my 2 cents. Im not trying to make anyone mad, just giving my thought. I have personally known Sr. Gallaher for about 7 years. I only met Gallaher Jr. a couple years back. It seems like no one really knows what happened, and we probably never will. Two different stories, that are somewhat similiar, but still vastly different. Say that Jr. did shoot bull that bull knowingly. And his dad knew it. Then throw the book at em. We all know the temptation that comes over us during the moment, but part of being a responsible hunter is overcoming that temptation and doing the right thing.

Now say that It was truly an accident. Mistakes happen, no matter what we do or try, mistakes still happen. We are only human. Im not a parent, but I would guess it would be pretty tough to watch my son get arrested for something he did on accident. Like someone stated, the OSP will give a ticket to there own mother. A couple years ago, our neighbor shot a doe on our ranch in a CRP field. We were walking, and it jumped up about 50 yards. We waited a few minutes to see if a fawn would jump up. It appeared to be a single dry doe, so he shot her right in the heart. When she ran to the right, another deer ran to the left and fell over, then she fell over. The bullet went through her and hit her fawn in the neck. Even though we verified, to the best of our abilities, that she was alone, there was still a deer hiding, unseen, in the 4 foot tall grass. We did the right thing and called OSP to report it, they came and got both deer, and gave him a ticket!! BULL****!!! We followed every law, and it was 100 percent accidental, but they still cited him. It would make me think twice about reporting something I did on accident. Honestly, I dont know what I would do in Sr's position, and I hope I never have to know.

People are quick to start name calling. They mention his 28 year career, but they dont think about all the TRULY bad people he busted. Poaching rings, bear baiting's, road hunters, party hunters, trespassers. He did a great deal to get those people out of the woods. He was an average person, just like you and me, who was put in a bad situation. He knew what the outcome would be for his son, so he, doing what he felt at the time was the best for his son, made a mistake. And he is paying the price for it. Sorry if you guys don't agree with anything im saying, but its hard for me to read reply's bashing someone who im good friends with.

Eobowhntr

All the good he did got discredited when he tried to cover up an "accident". We all have been told by the law, if you mess up, turn it in and face the music. They will be more "forgiving" if you dont try to hide it! Soooooooo, where did he go wrong then?

So much about protect and serve, sound like he trying to save his ass and put the blame on his son. Yeah class act.

>Elkslam.....do all of us LEGAL
>guides a favor.....keep your day
>job!
>HEY! I know......MAYBE you can become
>a reporter for paper or
>TV??

I am still confused about what this comment suggests ?

Eobowhntr:
Your post brings about a whole other issue. What's the point of ticketing someone who has turned them self in? Aren't tickets supposed to serve as a deterrent for future indiscretion? What possible good could come of ticketing someone who has turned them self in?

Before reading about your post, I would have also been honest and turned myself in, in that situation. After reading your post I probably would not. Way to go OSP? you are making criminals out of honest people while the devious poachers continue to get away!

Hey NASCAR

So you are saying since he is a OSP gamer, whos life is in FAR less danger then a OSP trooper, he should get special treatment on this thing. Law enforcement must lead by example period end of story. That is what they are paid to do. They should be respected for the work they do. When they break the law they should be punished at least as much as the public. Also you cant justify bad behavior by pointing out other bad behavior.

RE: Hey NASCAR

No I'm not saying he should get special treatment, Just that cops are people to and most are quick to jump on them if they do something wrong, Without getting the story. But those would be the first to yell for one if they needed help. You hear about the one bad thing they did, not the hundred good things or people they save or the good work they do.

I usually stay out of these but just got to comment...this guys attorney (also brother) writes "the kid just moved from Portland and didnt know what he was doing" and his dad just "fell off the tight wire" and was LYING because he was caught between an "officers head and a fathers heart" ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! if this was anybody other than one of there own they would go down in flames. (and rightfully so)
Please tell me there is some sainity left in the world, who would defend these idiots??? it is painfully obvious that this thing stinks to high heaven and I feel like I need to take a shower just reading it!

DAM I cant believe ANYONE could try to justify their actions!!!

Sounds like a few of you are pretty bitter, Maybe you have criminal records or flunked the entry test for some law enforcement agency in the past. Like you are a pure as the winter snow. Never done nothing wrong,You have never driven 56 in a 55 you know that is breaking the law.I know that isn't the same as poaching but it is time to move on, find someone else to hate on like the ODFW or the ones that passed the anti-cougar hunting law, or the idiots that spike trees, Just a few you can start with.

hey NASCAR....after careful conssideration I have decided that you are right, because I drive faster than the speed limit, and would be a hypocrite for voicing my disaproval of these idiots.... they are now free to be above the law until I learn to slow down.

WTF?????????

I understand what Nascar is saying about people being hard on cops, this is very true, but this is not the case. What they did was illegal.

The dad was put in a situation that was not good. The son is just an idiot. It makes you wonder if the kid shot more than one branch bull last year. Just goes to show the respect a son has for his father by putting him a situation like that.

I new you would come around 4blade, Just remember one of those cops might help you out someday or not.

Fair enough NASCAR...someday they may help me out and I would be grateful if they did , mabe even apologize for my harsh words but at the moment they are not "helping me out" they are stealing from me and every other hunter and I am mad as hell about it!

(mistook a trophy bull for a spike, are you f...ing kidding me!!!)

excuse me while I go puke.

time to let this one go, if you used some of your passion and anger you have for this one cop towards doing something good we would all be better off. Have a good day, Later

Nascar you must have a dog in the fight.This dirty cop isnt going to help anybody out. His law enforcement days are over as they should be. He has zero credability with any fair minded oregonian. His greed not only cost him his job, but any game violaters with pending court cases that he is involved in as a game officer are now likely going to be throwen out of court due to this. This will let more bad guys, like Gallaher, go free. So it is far more damaging then a simple game violation by Joe Sixpack.

I don't even know this guy or to tell you the truth even care about him now. i was just pointing out how people act like the world is coming to a end when a cop does something wrong. Which is about once for every 100,000 times joe sixpack breaks a law. I know that " 1" is more damaging but there are plenty of good cops around that you will be glad are around when you need one.I'm done with this issue lets talk about mule deer while there still are a few in the state of Oregon!! Have a good day!

Back
Top Bottom