sageadvice tags out

M

manny15

LAST EDITED ON Oct-17-08 AT 11:52PM (MST)[p]

48f971d77d2c9f85.jpg

48f971ff7d7f9f85.jpg

C-1 he made a heck of a shot, we got harassed a bit so we move only to find this guy bedded in the shade of a juniper tree...I'll let him fill in the blanks, I gotta elk hunt tomorrow.....the buck measured out @ 18.5 wide and 16 tall...4x4 later

Well, I'm happy with my buck. Thanks for posting those pics, we both know that they don't even do that buck justice, i'll have to see about getting some better ones posted, he's what he is, but a nice one. This was the third trip i made this season after them horn packing ghosts and was the only one where i was able to get a shot. Manny met me Thurs am and after we introduced each other to ourselves, he agreed to show me some country that he grew up in and has hunted forever. Problem was, there was a guy that owned 40 acres over the hill that doesn't seen to like anybody anywhere near his property so he patrols miles of the whole access road telling everybody to turn back cause their trespassing, gonna get in trouble... Seems a good possibility that he has a little side business going on...

Anyway, We took a ride and parked my rig in a good vantage area that i could watch potential bucks come out of cover in several different directions. After Manny left me to my own hunting abilities, the problems started and ended the next morning with the previous mentioned jerk opening fire with clips of semi-auto rounds over the top of my pop up camper. There was soon a police report filed, not sure what became of that...hope he got thrown in jail. So, i didn't care to return to that country even though i did see a nice buck just at dark, well over a 1000 yds away, with no time for a sneak.

Manny got my call about the harassment and came back down to take me to another area. While showing me what i could hunt, he spotted a bedded buck hell and gone across this very steep canyon. The buck was bedded out in the open in the shade side of a big juniper, looked to be a nice one and by himself. Manny said there was no way to get even 20yds closer as we were right on the rim of the canyon and it was evening by now, not too long before dark. I ranged the buck at 528 yds and told Manny that if he stood up, i could make that shot. My Burris balista-plex scope has the hashmarks, i'm dead on a 300, 7" low or the first hash or 400yds, and according to several practice sessions this year, the second hash down is good at 500yds. I've said many times that i'll only shoot that far but, that far, under perfect conditions, i will shoot.

After talking it over, Manny whistled a few times, honked the horn, we did everything but shout, until two does that were back hidden by the juniper, busted out and you gotta know it, the buck got up running right behind them. They had no idea where we were and were actually running across from us until they reached brush where, feeling safer, they slowed down to a walk. I ranged again and they were still over 520yds. When the buck finally stopped in the clear, me still following at a dead rest, i put the second hash on his high shoulder a touched her off. My 270 WSM barked, the buck hunched up and made it about 20 yds before hitting the ground.

Aside from the jerks, i had a great time and really enjoyed meeting and getting to hunt a bit with Manny. The time we spent together was all good! Thanks a ton Manny, you went above and beyond in your help and kindness!

Joey

I know this is going to start some heat but hear goes. I know where you guys were hunting and does it ever occur to you that people dont like you hunting around their houses? People dont like you shooting back yard bucks? And from your story if manny was honking his horn you obviously hiked along way from the truck or road?. Why dont you try hunting areas that you know are far from houses or private land and hiking in off the roads like the rest of us do. My parents still live up in that same area that you are trying to shoot bucks in and say your getting harrassed. and believe me you guys are the one harassing people. We used to have tons of nice big bucks on our property and the neighboring properties , with no hunting signs every 50 feet and still idiots would drive there ass up the road and shoot the back yard bucks sometimes getting scared and just leave them lay. Now there are no bucks or hardly any deer left around. Believe me I have hunted bucks my whole life and it was very tempting at times to see those bucks right out your window but it would be like shooting the family dog. I would drive miles up in c1 and hike my ass off and still get a buck every year and feel good about it with a clean conscious. Also seems very fishy that the pics are taken at night ? must have had to sneak him out huh? This is just my 2 cents so let the sparks fly

oldmossback, I saw no houses where we hunted, a few tents and old homesteads yes. I killed that buck in the horse park, whatever you call it, hike, horse or walk in only area. After i shot the buck we had to go way around and park at the trailhead and hike into the area to retrieve my deer. It was not only dark but a good bit after dark before we got the buck out. I was a guest. I didn't shoot any backyard buck. You are out of line here.

Shooting at or over my camper with a 100 or so rounds, Do you condone that type of behavior too. You have always seemed like a nice guy, why start s##t with me now when you don't know the facts?

Joey

OMB, I think you were out of line. First off if people were trespassing then that is wrong and they should be hammered. But if they have permission to hunt were they do or if it is public lands then they have every right to do so. It is to bad about the deer on your parents property. But it most likely doesn't have to do with hunting as much as other factors. People buy 40 acres surrounded by public land and get pissed at the hunters. Well they moved there. Your so called back yard bucks don't help the deer population. The deer become tame cause vehicle accidents and more. Nocalhonker

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-08 AT 03:35AM (MST)[p]hey, oldy, your spouting off with the mouth and assume you know what your talking about. we were no where near KRCE subdivision, we were at the horseshoe ranch! 8 miles up irone gate lake... BLM, you remind me of the a s s that spouted off and didn't want us near his crop.

I have 40acre's up camp crk. we've hunted that country for over 30 years

the ranch boaders my place, the ranch is 3500 acre of wilderness area, we had to leave my truck at the gate and walk in like everyone else to get to where the buck was lying....

maybe if people like your family would stop feeding those deer maybe then green horns would not hunt near those house's.

your rush to judement is what i dislike about this site, too many like you here these days..... self rightious know it all's...

LAST EDITED ON Oct-19-08 AT 03:43AM (MST)[p]

by the way joey, we saw 20 head of elk at first light, 4 bulls 2 were 6'ers, they were at a dead run heading for private ground only to have the property owner waiting with rifle in hand and dropping the biggest bull....such is life....

as you can see by the time of this post it's late or early however you wanna look at it, I've put alot of mile's on my boots and my truck... I only wished we had more time to hang cause your a heck of a hunter an i had at least a 1000 more hunting stories i could ah told yah...Manny

Wow, that is quite a story Joey. I hope the cops arrested the moron that was shooting over the top of your camper. There is no excuse to do what that gut did. Great buck, thanks for sharing your story.

Congrats on the buck. This my friend is why you carry a map and a GPS. So when you get hassled about tresspassing just pull it out and say go ahead call whoever you want.

I am respectful of people and their property, but those that think the own something or have a special privilage because its near, "Their" property just bother me. If you want it, buy it. If you dont own it, it's not yours.

Oldmoss

Wow. The man came on here to show a picture of a buck he is proud of, no reason to piss on his parade. Why do you care that he was near a road when he shot that buck? Since you trek so far from civilization on your hunting ventures you will never see him or half the state for that matter. Park the little yellow bus, put on the big red shoes and start hiking...CLOWN! Forget about the great bucks that use to be on private property,(you hunt far away to feel good...remember). If you want to complain, go to the F&G and tell them to give less tags, maybe shoot a mountain lion and help your cause. Better yet, buy the county, put up a block wall and a moat and live in your own kingdom.

i have hunted the horse shoe ranch for years and i bet i know exactly the old guy that was harassing you and NO what he did was not right and he should not have done that. but put yourself in his shoes and for probably the last decade he has had to patrol his many miles of property which borders the horse shoe ranch to keep hunters who cant read out, not saying that you are one of them but how do you think that old guys thinks.
Gee manny sorry if from the story I got the impression that you were by your truck since it said you had to honk your horn to get the buck to stand up? must have one of those remote honkers huh?
I knew you guys would give me a ration of ##### over this and yes maybe i did try to read between the lines a little too much.
Sage, congradulations on your buck, guess i dont know the whole story

mossback said,
"but put yourself in his shoes and for probably the last decade he has had to patrol his many miles of property which borders the horse shoe ranch to keep hunters who cant read out, not saying that you are one of them but how do you think that old guys thinks."

Well, i know how my Grandfather thought; Grandpa owned 5 sections and leased much more to make up a large cattle ranch down Livermore way near Mt diablo. We helped him post his properties every year. If we caught someone hunting, they were told to leave and not come back. If they acted up, we called the sherrif.

If someone asked permission to hunt, they were always given permission. i never saw grandpa refuse one who took the time to knock on his door and ask to hunt. They didn't get run of the ranch but they did get to hunt this piece, section, or that other... and there were bucks to be taken on those properties. Kinda made me mad the way grandpa let everybody hunt that way cause it put more hunters on his(read; MY) properties but he said that we were fortunate and needed to share, plus we always seemed to get our own better bucks. There were some who returned every year with gifts of fruit or fish,...they became very good friends, almost part of the family.

If someone was overnight camped to hunt with written permission like i had, on property not belonging to him, the thought of going to his property line and blasting a 100 rounds of ammo in order to harrass or scare them away from his property would never cross his or my mind. I'm sorry oldmossback, trying to see logic in your position and just can't.

As far as being near the vehicle, yes, Manny was showing me exactly were, i had permission to hunt and were i couldn't, when we spotted the buck. This was not a guided hunt. More like a friend helping another, from a different area, with local knowledge. Manny had things to do, places to be. He took the time to help me, never met before only as a fellow MM, find a safe, ha ha, place to hunt and it took time off from his setting up camp on his own Oregon Elk hunt to do so. Nuff said!

Joey

i said i dont think what the property owner did was right and i was not condoning it. If you were not on his property and had promission to be where you were then you did nothing wrong.

Congratulations Joey! Nice shot too! That shows what a little preperation and practice will do!:)

Manny is a good guy, and obviously a good hunter too.

Big deer feed at Joeys'!:)

Eel

Hey Eel, Thanks! Manny and i got along real well. It was like two guys that had hunted together for a long time, we speak and live the same lingo. When i looked him in the eye and told him that i could make that shot, i kinda expected him to start laughing but, like an old friend, he just looked at my face and then agreed with me. Of near seventy, one of my best blacktails to date.

I really have to give him credit. Some guys might go thru the motions of helping a guy out. Manny had to drive 60 miles or so just to meet me. He made the 120+ mile round trip twice, the second of which was the night before his Elk season opener and he hadn't even been to his camp yet. By the time we had my buck hung for my skinning, musta been near 11pm. I just can't say enough good in my impressions of the man.

As good a time as we had, i don't figure on hunting that country again. I did it once, actually i hunted the other side toward Doris a few years ago, and there's so much, so many places to see and country to hunt before it's my time. Manny was just one of the many wonderful people that a guy can feel connected to if you open yourself up to give and receive in the great experience of enjoying the great outdoors. I've been many places, hunted lots of ridges and fished many miles of stream. The people you meet are usually some of the greatest individuals that a person is ever going to meet anywhere. Manny is/was one and i Thank and Appreciate so much of the manner in our meeting. Heck of a guy!

Joey

Hey Joey, thanks for the kind words, just not used to that here...LOL

let me try and set the record straight on the private property issue, my family have owned property in the camp crk, area for 30 years or so, I've been hunting there since I was 13.

It is an old subdivision from 1967, many of the people who owned property there hunted it, and I must say it was much simpler back then we all got along.

the area consists of 120, 40 and 20 acre parcels, can't remember exactly, people would hunt my little spred all the time as well as I did there's no fence's, it was just that way.

then one day 8 years ago a jack ass bought a 20 acre piece on top of a hill and thinks he should control just who should be back there, basically harassing people who don't live back there.

It was well know he and others grew pot and maybe some thing else, why else would he fly down his road and get in your face.
Year after year.

The area is a migration route, lot of cross bucks passing thru, it was an awesome area, it would break my heart to loose that area cause of one guy, and no one elected him sheriff.

He crossed the line with me when shot over Joey?s truck, so I called the sheriff, and I'm filing a restraining order on the jerk ASAP!

Oldmossback I'm afraid you still don't get it
!

Nice buck! Great story, other than someone shooting in your direction. That is terrible man. I can't believe someone would do that, it's just absolutely terrible.

What kind of scope do you have again? That's one hell of a shot you made.

I'm glad you got your buck and made it out safely!

-Dave

Centerfire and Model_70_ guy, Thanks guys. My short action, claw extractored, model 70 in 270 WSM needs to get credit too. Love that gun. Manny found him, i squezzed the trigger.

Thanks Dave, I shoot a Burris signature series, made in USA, 3X12. It's nice and clear, holds zero thru fairly rough handeling, great scope for the money. 500yds has been my self imposed limit. My gun's cartridge is capable to kill cleanly far farther than that but that's as far as i usually practice. Still, a heck of a long ways. Before rangefinders, i'd never think to take that shot. Canyon top to canyon top, tough to guess the range.

Joey

Sage

Nice job it's nice to see some bucks coming from my stomping grounds. I have hunted that area for 24 years now, so nice buck. We decided to hunt X3B this year and even though I got one I missed hunting c-1. I also heard there were a lot of bucks seen up there this year, so that was good to here.

Manny15

Hope to meet up with you sometime maybe down at the fishhook or at the chance

Hey Joey- Thatta boy!!! Nice to see you had some success. Its always nice to see one of the good guys with some bone in his hands....uh....you know what I mean!! HaHa. Good job, man! Enjoy the vittles!

Steve

Thanks again guys!

Steve, How did your Wyoming hunts go? I didn't see any new threads/posts from you in the other topics.

Joey

JOey- We got back on Tuesday but just haven't had time to post anything yet. I'll be posting them on the mule deer thread by tomorrow. We had a blast. We each filled a goat and deer tag with respectable animals, had good weather, and visited with some good friends. Overall, the trip couldn't have been much better. Keep an eye out in the mule deer threads for it. Congrats again on your buck.

Steve

LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-08 AT 00:00AM (MST)[p]>Sage
>
>Nice job it's nice to see
>some bucks coming from my
>stomping grounds. I have hunted
>that area for 24 years
>now, so nice buck. We
>decided to hunt X3B this
>year and even though I
>got one I missed hunting
>c-1. I also heard there
>were a lot of bucks
>seen up there this year,
>so that was good to
>here.
>
>Manny15
>
>Hope to meet up with you
>sometime maybe down at the
>fishhook or at the chance
>

Eric'

i've moved up to medford, so don't hang out at the hook, but you never know.......

we got another week here in Or. so lookin to fill my tag

>LAST EDITED ON Oct-24-08
>AT 00:00?AM (MST)

>
>>Sage
>>
>>Nice job it's nice to see
>>some bucks coming from my
>>stomping grounds. I have hunted
>>that area for 24 years
>>now, so nice buck. We
>>decided to hunt X3B this
>>year and even though I
>>got one I missed hunting
>>c-1. I also heard there
>>were a lot of bucks
>>seen up there this year,
>>so that was good to
>>here.
>>
>>Manny15
>>
>>Hope to meet up with you
>>sometime maybe down at the
>>fishhook or at the chance
>>
>
>
>
>Eric'
>
>i've moved up to medford, so
>don't hang out at the
>hook, but you never know.......
>
>
>we got another week here in
>Or. so lookin to fill
>my tag

Your right about that you never know. Anyhow good luck on the rest of you season

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom