Salmon Bellies

Tikka

Long Time Member
Anyone out there have a good smoke/brine recipe for salmon bellies?

A friend of mine gave me a bunch of bellies today and I'm looking to put them to use...

eelgrass I'm sure you have a good one....

Never smoked salmon bellies but smoked a lot of suckers we speared in the creeks of northern Minnesota. Brined em in brown sugar, apple cider vinegar, salt and water. Smoked em with alder. I think alder is key to fish IMO.

#livelikezac

A lil late posting this but maybe next time you smoke up some fish you might want to try it, it really is a great recipe, I think you'll be happy with the results.
I smoke up about 50/60 pounds of Reds every year, this year was the first time I ever brought back any bellies man they are incredible.
I'll never toss another one out in the river again.

I use white wine instead of Apple juice.
Also I use mostly Alder with a little cherry and Apple mixed in.

Salmon Deluxe
(Chinook, Coho, etc.)
1/3 cup sugar
? cup NON-IODIZED salt
2 cups soy sauce
? tsp. onion powder
? tsp. garlic powder
? tsp. pepper
? tsp. Tabasco sauce
1 cup Apple Juice...
Brine salmon chucks 8 or more hours, keeping refrigerated. Or cooler with ice if it's hot out
Fill flavor pan with 2/3 Apple with
1/3 Cherry. Use 2 to 3 panfuls. Leave in the smoker until
drying is completed, This may take 12 hours, depending on
the thickness of the meat. Place largest and thickest chunks
on the bottom rack.
(Also use for Steelhead and other large Trout etc.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-24-19 AT 09:41AM (MST)[p]I have done salmon various ways and this is my favorite: Mad Hunky Dry Salmon Brine & Cure. The dry brine has great flavor that accents the fish flavor without over powering the fish. I add the dry brine then vacuum bag the fish and in the fridge for a day or so. Then I remove the fish from the bag and rest on a rack in the fridge to form a pellicle. Then low temp (150?-175?) smoke it with alder wood to 140? internal temp and enjoy.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-09-19 AT 09:57AM (MST)[p]Look up some Salmon Candy Recipes. It takes some time but nothing is finer than Salmon bellies made into Salmon Candy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom